SAU Community

Rb25det + Rb20 Ecu With Nistune + Gtr Injectors, Need A Resistor Pack?

Rolls

Will I need to fit a resistor pack to raise the impedance of the GTR injectors? or will they work fine on the rb20 ecu with nistune?

I still have the rb20 loom and fairly sure the rb20 ignition system as well (car is an R32). Currently it is all run off a wolf3d V4 which I imagine has impedance matching drivers but I want to upgrade to a nistune (it is a rubbish ecu and wont pass an inspection).

Anyone know?

On a stock ECU you will need the resistor pack.

I believe with a NISTUNE you also need a resistor pack.

My mates RB20 had gtr injectors running of a nistune and that had a resistor pack.

Unless you can get it setup for low impedence

I found someone with stock injectors, fuel rail and fuel reg so Im gonna install the lot. I will just leave my waste gate unbolted so that the car doesn't boost and lean out Once I pass the inspection I'll put it all back with a resistor pack.

Can anyone detail how to make a resistor pack and how I should install it ?

Thanks again. :P

I found someone with stock injectors, fuel rail and fuel reg so Im gonna install the lot. I will just leave my waste gate unbolted so that the car doesn't boost and lean out Once I pass the inspection I'll put it all back with a resistor pack.

Thanks again. :P

I considered making my own resistor pack ( being an auto elec), but for like $100 its easyer to just buy one.

Im unsure what sort of Power(watts) they consume and have never felt a GTR pack after a thrashing to see weather they get hot.

To make one that can supply 6 injectors, and not generate heat, also keeping the overall size as small as possible might not be easy.

If you use formula P=IxV you can work out what sort of Wattage resistor you need to decipate the heat, providing you have the voltage and current. say on average it would be 13v, but i have no idea what current will be flowing.

Then get someone to measure the resistance of the resistors in a GTR pack and you will find out what resistors you need.

If that makes sence?

But hey give it ago if you want.

I considered making my own resistor pack ( being an auto elec), but for like $100 its easyer to just buy one.

Im unsure what sort of Power(watts) they consume and have never felt a GTR pack after a thrashing to see weather they get hot.

To make one that can supply 6 injectors, and not generate heat, also keeping the overall size as small as possible might not be easy.

If you use formula P=IxV you can work out what sort of Wattage resistor you need to decipate the heat, providing you have the voltage and current. say on average it would be 13v, but i have no idea what current will be flowing.

Then get someone to measure the resistance of the resistors in a GTR pack and you will find out what resistors you need.

If that makes sence?

But hey give it ago if you want.

I'm actually a computer systems engineer so I am sure I could make one, just need to know the specs if anyone has them. If it is only $100 I might just buy a set though, anyone know who sells them?

Edited by Rolls

I'm actually a computer systems engineer so I am sure I could make one, just need to know the specs if anyone has them. If it is only $100 I might just buy a set though, anyone know who sells them?

Look through the forsale thread. I have heard you can get them new. and from memory the price wasnt too rude.

If you end up wanting to make one i can get you the specs as i have 1 sitting in the shed.

Thanks again. :)

Have a read through here on how I installed the resistor pack.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt...l=gtr+injectors

gtrwiringrb20.jpg

Thanks for that, what is the 'ballast' resistor? Do you know how many ohms it needs to be and how many watts it should be rated to? Also why have you seperately wired it to each injector, couldn't you just cut the red wire and put it inline with it?

Edited by Rolls

Thanks for that, what is the 'ballast' resistor? Do you know how many ohms it needs to be and how many watts it should be rated to? Also why have you seperately wired it to each injector, couldn't you just cut the red wire and put it inline with it?

The ballast resistor is the GTR resistor pack. Which has 1 voltage input and 6 injector outputs.

The red wire (12v power) also provides power to other parts in the engine (from what i remember?) so thats why you have to find the actual 12v wire for each injector. As shown in the picture, a wire splits off the red line which then powers three injectors.

If you are going down the resistor path, I believe you just wire the resistor inline with each 12v injector wire. The tricky bit is determining which one is the 12v from the 2 wires running to each injector connector. My method is to use a multimeter to find the 12v instead of stripping the whole loom to find it.

There is another thread on this forum which explains which resistors are needed from jaycar.

Hope the above makes sense? haha

The ballast resistor is the GTR resistor pack. Which has 1 voltage input and 6 injector outputs.

The red wire (12v power) also provides power to other parts in the engine (from what i remember?) so thats why you have to find the actual 12v wire for each injector. As shown in the picture, a wire splits off the red line which then powers three injectors.

If you are going down the resistor path, I believe you just wire the resistor inline with each 12v injector wire. The tricky bit is determining which one is the 12v from the 2 wires running to each injector connector. My method is to use a multimeter to find the 12v instead of stripping the whole loom to find it.

There is another thread on this forum which explains which resistors are needed from jaycar.

Hope the above makes sense? haha

Yeah it does I just wasn't sure exactly what the 'GTR resistor pack' was, and if I was to make my own what ohmage and power rating the resistors need to be. I will do a search for this thread you mentioned.

Edited by Rolls