SAU Community

The Fuel Ecconomy Thread

chef_stagea

i wona put a little thread togeather with all the fuel ecconomy solutions you guys have,,

so far ive gota

safc, safc2 or better again safc neo

sitc to some degree

coilpacks

opening up the exhaust.. preferably 3' cat also so it doesnt bottle neck.

what eles have we found that will improve?

obviously regular servicing, good fuel etc are all factors aswell.

With factory ECUs (Un-touched Nissan engineering).

-Boost levels no higher then 7pound

-Retain Carbon/Emission Canister

-Good Heat Shield / CAI (heat soak = no power = lead foot to get her moving)

-Clean Air Flow Meter / Filter

-A Fully Operational 02 Sensor

-Drop all unnecessary weight (useless cargo)

-Lay off the throttle.

My two cents :nyaanyaa:

Tune and o2 sensor

I went from round ~350km per tank with bolt on mods and 10psi and no tune,

to ~650km per tank after nistune chip and tune and new o2 sensor!!

Obviously if I stomp on it round town I get less, but it did Melbourne to Albury on just under half a tank, including driving out of inner city Melbourne. That's over 300km!

I couldn't believe the difference.

i wona put a little thread togeather with all the fuel ecconomy solutions you guys have,,

Do a search you lazy flamin mongrel, its been covered so many times!

sitc to some degree

coilpacks

SITC to some degree? I disagree. To get the most out of your SAFC you need an SITC to add in or pull out timing as when you bend the fuel curve it also has a affect on the timing. Eg. Leaning of the air flow with advance timing (negative relation ship between the two)

Also coil packs are only going to affect it if the oem nissan ones are shagged.

Basically you want:

Easily breathing car (intake and zhorst)

Good spark (plugs and working coils)

Functioning O2 sensor

Clean fuel filter

some way to tune it all (sitc safc nisstune ect)

I think I'm needing to buy shares in BP.

RB26 is near impossible not to fang around in, so I pay dearly for the privilege.

Not complaining but its always the impossible. I want the maximum amount of power, for the least amount of fuel consumption LOL.

I think I'm needing to buy shares in BP.

RB26 is near impossible not to fang around in, so I pay dearly for the privilege.

Not complaining but its always the impossible. I want the maximum amount of power, for the least amount of fuel consumption LOL.

I hear quad rotary engines are offering that, before there even modded haha.

I'm currently running a completely stock series 2 and getting just under 530-580km around town with some spirited driving. Have a nistune to install, turbo back exhuast at the same time, and might put on a pod filter too. Will see how it goes after all that and most likly revive this thread haha. There will be a 100 000km service before then aswell... soo all fluids, spark plugs timing belt etc.

Edited by stagman

I am putting our fairly stock stag on the Dyno and I will come back and report the findings.

I bet its going to be rich as hell , and I have been harrassing the woman to get a nistune but as someone rightly noted a front mount is probably a better starting point before we go the Nistune.

as someone rightly noted a front mount is probably a better starting point before we go the Nistune.

Font mount before nisstune....? Not to sure about that, what other mods have you got?

On the front mount note, as is the case with the Rich, easily reached "R & R" late series 1 ECUs, fuel economy gets deadly once you install one with no engine management. I put my front mount in first as a preparation mod... in preparation for later mods. If I had my time again, I would go engine management first, but my emanage ultimate is in the post, and I have only been able to drive my car around for a collective 3 weeks since I installed the intercooler, so it's much of a muchness. Engine management before notable airflow increasing modifications FTW (If you are looking for economy).

I'll update fuel economy on the rig as soon as the emanage is installed, at the moment it is so bad that I can basically see the needle drop everytime the throttle is opened up :)

harts.

just needa learn to control your right foot, adam!

i do but it ALLWAYS seems to come on to some for off boost when i take off like 1 or 2 psi... chris can take off with like -1 or 2 lol...:)

wats the go with catalytic converters... is the stock one better than bashing it out?? ive got mixed thaughts... with the gridding in there it will direct flow well.. but slow it down aswell i think :S gutted cat or leave it?

alright,well that cat didnt fit.flanges on the wrong angle and an inch too short.

lucky the stags booked in in the morning for some exhaust work

You should have went all macgyver on it... it would have fit eventually...

After I got my boost controller and highflowed turbo etc I was getting around 15 to 20 L per 100km. When I got the 550 injectors and another tune it was pretty much 20L per 100km. Most of my trips are short and I like to boot it as soon as it has warmed up so I was filling up at around 300km!

The best economy device (and it was not intended that way) has turned out to be my new GTR 5 speed manual box. I went away for the weekend - I drive at 110km (the most you can do without getting pinged as i am a driver by trade and can't afford to lose my licence) with probably a dozen bursts up to 140 or 150 to get past traffic and a twenty minute full boost climb up a range of hills (each way) and managed 12L per 100km. I know this was on a trip but I used to get worse than 15L/100km before.

So that confirms what a lot of people think - the auto sucks gas. I find that I can drive around town mostly in 4th and 5th as it will pull steadily from 1500rev/min and goes well from 2000 rev/min even though serious power comes between 4000 and 7000 rev/min. Previously at those speeds the auto would be kicking down all the time.

On the other hand if you are not planning on lots more power the auto is great for city driving and if it is regularly serviced and not abused will (some people's bad luck not withstanding) perform well for years.