SAU Community

Helpp Cheap Place For Painting

KEM.D

hey guys i wanna get some things re sprayed on my car if anyone noes a good place or even a person that can do it for a good price iv been quoted to much for things i need just my side skirts and a front bar to be fiberglassed and painted

^ those can be initial things... sup[er cheap jobs haha :/

However even with a job that "looks" good... Give it 18-24 months, bit of weather and so on.

That is when you start to tell the difference between a good job and a great job. Suddenly the paint isn't as "deep", the job becomes a tad dull etc.

Stuff that is very hard to pick when you look at the car everyday if it is your own car.

But a easy thing is to get another piece prepped/sprayed, chuck it in yor cupboard. Couple years later pull it out and have a compare :(

Another vote for DT Panels..

But a easy thing is to get another piece prepped/sprayed, chuck it in yor cupboard. Couple years later pull it out and have a compare :(

Possibly one of the stupidest things you've said/posted... :/

How so?

The test of time, a good prepped job, bodywork vs fade, be lacklustre and similar - IMO it would be the best possible test :D

After 2 yrs, all of a sudden your "wow" job that looked awesome on the first day, suddenly... a bit average.

Where a quality job, using quality materials "read:not fken cheap", will look virtually as good as the day it came off the gun.

How so?

The test of time, a good prepped job, bodywork vs fade, be lacklustre and similar - IMO it would be the best possible test :D

After 2 yrs, all of a sudden your "wow" job that looked awesome on the first day, suddenly... a bit average.

Where a quality job, using quality materials "read:not fken cheap", will look virtually as good as the day it came off the gun.

I was refferring more to the fact 1 piece (either the cheaper or more expensive) would be sitting in a cupboard, whereas the other is being used under completely different conditions (sun, rain etc etc)

Painting half the car (line down the middle) with the 2 differing paintjobs in the same color would be the ultimate test. At the end of the day, if shop X is offering decent work at $2k, and shop Y is offering great work at $6k, and you're getting a few years out of shop X, you're still in front if in fact it does need re-doing in a few years.

I'm not denying you'll get better quality for more money (generally speaking of course (the way I chose to modify my car shows where my opinion lies on that)) but a lot of people are interested in value for money, and someone like DT caters to that brilliantly imo :P

you can just get any old piece of ally metal :D

True - You're ultimate test point is far more correct than mine.

I also agree you would be infront in some respects if you re-sprayed every 3 years, upto 9yr marker as an example.

Depends what your budget is at the end of the day. If you want good work, and are prepared to pay for it - you do that.

DT certainly cater for the on-budget people, no question there either :P

DT have proven to be good and not expensive for a lot of people

Maybe try Patti Panels in Campbellfield.

HERE is what James did for me.

Please everyone. Don't turn this into another thread about quality always = massive dollars. There are enough of them in this section. We all know that the more you spend the better job you will get but show cars aren't always what people are after.

new joint i found in morrabbin - Paintwerks

Owner DEFINITELY knows his stuff. Had a good chat about detailing as well, of which he was also very clued in.

More than DT, but would be a step up as well. So if you're looking for that little something more, i'd hit them up for a quote.

There's a certain panel shop in footscray I'd avoid...

Totally agree. West Footscray to be exact. At the back of the shop to be even more exact.

As everybody had said, if you want a good job, be prepared to spend more money. If you are willing to pay little for an average job, be prepared for disappointments when you get your car back.

Micolour seems to be a place everyone recommends on SAU. You can also try Gals Panels at tullamarine OR if you can come up with more cash and if you want a perfect job, ring up File Finish http://www.filefinish.com.au/ . They do aston martins, bmws and lots of euro cars but i've seen gtrs in the shop before as well. It's entirely up to how deep your pocket is.