SAU Community

Fuel System Issues

Hi fellow skyline owners im having issue with my surge tank etc. first of all i wont explain the situation but ask the question wat is this parts job etc. its found just inside the tank on the return side of the fuel system. its also linked to one of the tank breathers. basically i wanna get rid of and im not sure if i can do so.

ne info would be gr8 thnx

post-7443-1263102831_thumb.jpg

post-7443-1263102860_thumb.jpg

after a little bit of investigation it appears that the fuel being pushed back into the tank via the return line creates a vaccum on the breather side therefore i would think pulling fresh air into the tank. once again im not sure still whether i need this im just getting ppls opinions. thnx

after a little bit of investigation it appears that the fuel being pushed back into the tank via the return line creates a vaccum on the breather side therefore i would think pulling fresh air into the tank. once again im not sure still whether i need this im just getting ppls opinions. thnx

Why do you want to get rid of it?

ok now comes the time to explain the situation......

ive got a 3lt surge tank in the boot of my car with 2 12inch subs sitting along side it in the boot. yes i have subs in a skyline lol. my first thought was pssoibly the large bass from these subs could be cracking the welds on the tank internally and i have had 2 instances now where the tank have randomly given way at seperate points on the welds and has started spraying petrol in the boot area, not good i have a 1/4 feed from the tank and a 1/4 return back to the tank from the surge tank but after investigating inside the tank i can see that the inlet to the fuel tank on the return side from the surge is made significantly smaller by this device/ piece of plastic hanging off the end of the tanks lid. when i take the plastic piece off it leave the inlet the same size as the outlet. now afta all that is said wat i was worried about was that the surge tank was pressurising which of course it shouldnt be.

i 4got to mention i sent the first tank back for a brand new tank and this tank did the same thing but only in 4 weeks not 4 months like the last one. so im deciding to get this tank rewelded and see if i can stop the problem myself.

if i havent explained things clear enough tell me lol

Sounds quite simply like shit welding.

If the job was decent - there is NO way vibrations from bass would crack them.

very true but its not actually cracks just tiny pin holes that well basically come out of nowhere and fuel starts spraying around my boot. i know this may be making me sound like a noob it just seem strange that the tank can be fine for a certain period of time then just start well kinda falling apart so to speak. but im gettin the tank rewelded on all the seem to make sure that it wont happen again in this fashion hopefully.

but the question still remains about that plastic breather and return line piece aswell. so yeh if u can shed sum light on that it would be great

very true but its not actually cracks just tiny pin holes that well basically come out of nowhere and fuel starts spraying around my boot. i know this may be making me sound like a noob it just seem strange that the tank can be fine for a certain period of time then just start well kinda falling apart so to speak. but im gettin the tank rewelded on all the seem to make sure that it wont happen again in this fashion hopefully.

but the question still remains about that plastic breather and return line piece aswell. so yeh if u can shed sum light on that it would be great

i wouldnt so much say its welding, to me it sounds like they are using the wrong grade alloy, or the wrong grade filler rods have been used. 

edit, for a quick fix you could resin over the welds like what radiator shops do to alloy cores that have suffered electrolisis were they have split from the tubes to the header plate. perhaps it could even be electrolisis eating away at the surge tank?

Edited by Cartman

i wouldnt so much say its welding, to me it sounds like they are using the wrong grade alloy, or the wrong grade filler rods have been used.

edit, for a quick fix you could resin over the welds like what radiator shops do to alloy cores that have suffered electrolisis were they have split from the tubes to the header plate. perhaps it could even be electrolisis eating away at the surge tank?

So shit welding then, by a shit welder. If it was someone decent they would have used the correct materials.

Sounds quite simply like shit welding.

If the job was decent - there is NO way vibrations from bass would crack them.

+1 for shit welding... and, if you use the wrong filler with the wrong materials, it is shit welding by a shit welder.