SAU Community

New Exhaust

Hey peeps the other day i had a full 2.5" exhaust with a 4" cannon fitted to my na 34 anyhoos when driving at about 2000 rpm this fdup vibrating noise comes in and doesnt go till about 3000 is this normal as it rapes my ears cronically but it only seems to be on the inside of the car and it sounds normal outside also it sucks driving up hills coz i cant even hear my music or people in the car speak and it sounds madd as once u get past the noise any help or intuuition would be appreciated cheers jarrod.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was the gearbox it should've done it before the exhaust got fitted.

could possibly be that the exhaust is hitting the body though. might be worth getting under the car to see if it is sitting close to anything. or maybe have someone stand on the side of the road and go past them with it making the noise and they should be able to tell if it is exhaust noise or a rubbing noise

sounds like the typical rb NA drone that becomes very obvious with an aftermarket exhaust, mine will do it still, and ive got a 2.5 inch exhaust with a mid system 2in1 muffler/resonator plus a second resonator and a twin tip muffler

good news is that its easy cured by changing ur driving style, just drive in a gear lower then you normally would and let it rev up a bit (the idea being to keep it above that drony 2 or 2.5 - 3000 range) then get into 5th gear when your done accelerating - unless your in auto? then you might be stuck with it

i had a n/a 34 that sounded like a V-tec engine LOL all because the zorst was just to big.. cannon etc. sounds nice on idle but.. after 2k the true honda came out LOL

theres a good write up somewhere on here about rb motors having a "raspy" metalic vibration or rattle sounding exhahust note at a certain rpm range but there nothing actually wrong, mine sounds a bit like this sometimes

I had that tinny crap sound ended up being that my stock nissan catalytic converter was stuffed and broken apart ... (catless and hollowed out cat's are bad for this resonance noise around the 3500- 3700 rpm area aswell )

So to fix that issue

My new exhaust system consists of the following on my R32 N/A RB20DE

Coby 6 into 2 into 1 with 2.5" outlet extractors

3" Catco Highflow catalytic converter

2.5" catback exhaust with single muffler and a canon muffler @ the rear ...

I had that issue really bad before I replaced my cat and found it to be blocked and a week later it broke apart into big chunks and allmost completely blocked up the exhaust flow ... so I pulled it all off and now fixed it all up and sounds really deep and has that good skyline note about it ...

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a 2.5" rear muffler and 3" tip. The sound is good, but the sound produced rapes my ears in my car too. It sounds fine outside though... I think it's because of the stock Nissan Catalytic Converter...

Any ideas?

Change the rubber mounts. Also the exhaust needs restriction to remove the noise. The 3" tip is too free flowing, and therefore the muffler doesn't work as well as it should. Get another muffler with a 2.5" tip

Hi wht510,

It was just installed today... I think you're right about the rubber mounts... I think it could be the exhaust leaning into the bottom of the car causing the windows and the whole car to vibrate at certain RPM's.

Before I got this installed, I specifically asked for a nice tone but not enough to get defected. Also not vibrate the car. He suggested that a 2.5" rear muffler would do, and any sort of tip would be fine.

I will take it to another exhaust place to get it checked out tomorrow, Blitz Custom Exhaust (place I got it done) is closed tomorrow :D

I just went to Werribee Exhaust (99 Railway Ave, Werribee, VIC) and they have fixed the problem. The exhaust tip was too close to the bottom body vibrating the whole chassis. They let it down a few centimeters and it's all fixed now. The total cost to fix was $10.00. Muffler sounds nice in the car (windows up/down) and there's no more vibrations.

I hope this helps others with the same problem, especially to the OP.

• 2 months later...