SAU Community

Chipped Rb20 Ecu Running With No Afm

Hiney

My flatmate and me are having an argument about this.

He is adamant that i can have the stock (but chipped) RB20de ECU thats currently running my RB25det tuned to not use the AFM anymore, and it will run sweet as......

i disagree as i have never seen this done on anything but mitsi's. and if it was this simple, that more people would be doing it (surely).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

technically yes you could plug a map sensor in and tun it to work but it may require some firmware revision/external microprocessor

could i use a SAFC to do it? or does that run off the AFM only?

i cant see how chipping the ecu will let you run a MAP sensor. with a chipped ecu you can easily swap to a different AFM like Z32 or Q45 buy altering the VQ tables. A MAP sensor setup is a completely different style of metering the air, the output needs to be handled differently. An SAFC will be of no help to you either as when you set it up you tell it if you are running a Hotwire (AFM) or Pressure (MAP) sensor, i think its also Flap and Karman?? but you can only choose one of them.

Edited by QWK32

no it isnt expensive

the map ecu piggyback I am selling is around $400 and allows you to remove the afm see www.mapecu.com

the aem f/ic-8 that I use in my stagea runs map (around $400 again, ebay), however the stock ecu wants to read the afm voltages

easy enough to get around and tune.

so thats $400AUD (im in nz) and then a tune ($200 at mates rates)

where as i can get a link ecu and get it tuned for that much and it has more functionality than a stock ECU.

nice to know it is possible tho

Edited by Hiney

ok cool :P

so it is possible, but an expensive and stupid idea (just get a link/PFC).

cheers guys :)

what you have to look at is, do you need to run MAP. there are people making good power on AFM setups with either a Z32 or Q45 AFM. do you really need to go and get a aftermarket setup like the Link/ViPec just to run MAP, or will a chipped ecu with an upgraded MAF be good enough for the power output your chasing.

Edited by QWK32

im not chasing much at all. 250kw i'd be more than happy with. so i'll stick with the AFM.

reason it came up, is i just put a GT35 turbo on my car and the AFM is too close to the turbo so has HEAPS of turbulence and runs like ass.

so to fix it, instead of shelling out heaps, i'll just get a 90 degree alloy bend and put the AFM on the other side of that instead of just a straight pipe off the front on the turbo.

GT35 and 250kw? Whats the point?

That turbo will do 380rwkw... put something more appropriate on there.

And no, he factory ECU - even chipped - will not run MAP.

i've got that turbo becuase my last turbo let go, and this was the cheapest most reasonable turbo available quickly.

and 250kw because i'm still going to be using the stock injectors. like to keep it nice and reliable since its my daily driver

i've got that turbo becuase my last turbo let go, and this was the cheapest most reasonable turbo available quickly.

and 250kw because i'm still going to be using the stock injectors. like to keep it nice and reliable since its my daily driver

Yeah but the point is not out of reliabilty here the point is you hav a 350kw plus turbo when you only are going to run 250kw so youve just all of a sudden got alot of extra lag for the same power you could have got with a high flow stock turbo or a garett 3071, just because the turbo is bigger doesnt somehow make it more reliable than the smaller one just outputs more power

no no, 250kw on stock fuelling is safe, i never said the turbo was safe.

and if you're all willing to chip in to buy me a more sensible turbo and/or fuelling upgrades then i'm more than happy to have more power or less lag. and now you're going to say "sell you GT35 and buy a smaller turbo" and i'm going to say "no, because i have work every day and need the car to keep going and don't have the money to get my exhaust changed again. and since its just a cheapie chinese turbo (not a garrett) its not worth diddly squat 2nd hand".

hope this solves the (somewhat offtopic) issue of my turbo-to-boost ratio.

sadly i have alot of bills piling in at the moment so as long as the cars going, i'm happy.

this was merely a thread started to see if it was possible to do this. just to answer an argument. i am in NO WAY intending to remove my AFM as i have solved my issue and all is now right with the world.

Edited by Hiney

GT35 and 250kw? Whats the point?

That turbo will do 380rwkw... put something more appropriate on there.

And no, he factory ECU - even chipped - will not run MAP.

Kind of, it isnt possible with your run of the mill chips but it is possible but i'm not sure 100% how its done, i had to retrofit a PFC D-jetro to a imported car from japan (GTR) with remaped ecu running map. I tried various ways to pull the base image off it but failed. It would have been quite nice to use the modified address information for other Nissan ecu's.

It is still a pet project of mine atm for SR20.

Well - of course anything can be done with money. :)

It's just programming afterall - however the question of it being worthwhile/available at the moment would suggest otherwise in my books!

lol this is wrong for so many reasons.

Tell me about it :D

Well - of course anything can be done with money. :)

It's just programming afterall - however the question of it being worthwhile/available at the moment would suggest otherwise in my books!

Tell me about it :D

100% agreed