SAU Community

Rebuild vs Replacement

Mick

Well my car is at Ice Performance at the moment and in tryin 2 decide how i should go about fixin it....

They said that it will be cheaper to drop a new engine in even thoe they dont know exactly how bad te damage is inside. The car runs pretty good, but it detonated when i was drivin at a high speed .. On a compression test all of tem are 160 exept for two of them which were 135 and 155. All that could be wrong could be a blown piston land or even a cracked piston, so has anyone had an engine with a blown piston land or a cracked piston fixed b4 and if so how much did it cost to get repaired ?

At a guess....

Pistons about $110 each

Rings $280 / set of 6

Big End Bearing $140

Gaskit kit $300

Main bearing $ 130

Idler bearings if you want $ 220

Cam belt about $100

+ all the work from boreing to linishing crank etc, + assembly.

Those approx prices for GTR bits but gives you an idea, and not all the bits will be in stock. If bits of the ring etc have gone through your oil pump and stuffed that then add maybe another $500.

What a whole new engine cost ???

I think its only worth rebuilding RB26's unless you wanted to make a real strong RB25 but it will be expensive.

Evan

thanks for the info guys ...

I still find it hard to see why they recommend gettin a new engine even thoe they dont know what damage is done... Taking the head off to find out what is damaged will cost money, but they have to take the engine out anyways if went for a new engine, so wouldnt it be better to take te engine out and crack her open and c what is wrong and then deciding what the best way to go about it is ? It shouldnt cost more realy cos it had to come out regardless, it might only be rings or something ...

Surely it wouldnt cost more to fix it if its only minor, rather than buying a new engine ..

I say get a price on repairing it then get some prices on getting an RB30ET bottom end, vl's are old now so a tired engine would be cheaper to buy than a good RB25DET. If you spend the same money you would on building a stronger RB25, on the RB30, you'll also increase HP. Even a stock rebuild on an RB30 is good for hi power as they have lower compression, if you could find a good bottom end that doesn't need rebuilding could be the way to go too.

My point was it doesn't really matter what damage is done, if a piston or ring is stuffed which a compression test will tell although you may not need to touch the head you will need to remove the engine, and rebuild at the very least the bottom end, and sure you can do it cheap by just chooseing to replace the damaged pistons and all the rings. You will still need some gaskits of course. You could re-use bearings..... but would you ??? after all you have gone to all the trouble to pull it all down why not do it properly.

The labor alone to do the work would be close to the price of a new engine. Any which way unless you want to spend big bucks, have that new engine ready or gettable quickly when you pull the old one out.

E

Some one should really find out how much it will cost for a bottom end engine rebuild and maybe a half me half them job i.e we slap the bottom end together. Bearings etc.. It should be to hard as it is basically just torqueing up the cap bolts i think they are called? and it set the clearance? I think there is also some thing to measure if the bearing is oval instead of round?!?!?!

arg I don't have too much of an idea (Engine Rebuilding) as I havn't had to look up on it Yet.. :D

Oh and just as a note I was in Nissan getting a new cam belt and they had a 34GTR pic with a little bit of info stating that they can gets all bits guards etc for the import Nissans. :D

I asked about gearbox bearings and parts and he said yep, we've got em. :D