SAU Community

still killing the v8s....

rb26dett

Guest |aunch

To rb26dett et al:

I really don't remember all of the finer points of that particular comparo (I read the piece while standing in the newsagency), but I found it quite rubbishy, and very biased.

One particular thing: I hate it when people use technology as one of their main points on a critique of a car. If the technology doesn't make the car more fun to drive, I don't give a damn about it.

You say that the Skyline has 6 year old technology and it STILL kicks the Ford... Well what the hell do you think the Falcon has??? How many cams and valves does the Falcon have compared to the Skyline? Come to think of it, how many pushrods does the Skyline have? Exactly. The engine itself has its roots back in the 1960's, if not earlier. Don't forget that the Falcon has only just gained IRS, before this it was using a LIVE axle!

But what the hell does any of this matter? At the end of the day, the Falcon is an absolute blast to drive from all reports. Not only does it drive well, but it fulfills its brief wonderfully. It can carry five adults in comfort and can still get along at a rapid rate (which is not to say that the Nissan can't).

If you read any of the road tests by the main stream motoring journalists (and yes, I know that these too can be biased), you will find that the Falcon is praised for its suspension dynamics, and wonderful steering. In fact, about the only points of repeated criticism which matter a damn to most people, are the fuel consumption, aesthetics and power compared to the Holden.

Most people now have rather good things to say about the Falcons looks in XR guise, the power has been uprated to pretty much match the Holden, but yeah, the fuel consumption is high. Do remember that it is a heavy performance V8.

When you look at it this way, there isn't a hell of a lot not to like, is there? (And yes, I am aware that this last line of my rant is inviting copious rebuttle :D )

Guest |aunch

And here is some more for you. The skyline isn't kicking V8's, it was the winner of a comparison against a Ford Falcon XR8, judged by someone writing for an Import car mag. How well do you thing a stock skyline would go against a Ferrari V8?

Oh god, own a skyline, love V8's, is there any easy answer ???

No, both have their strong points, and places in the scale of things. I havn't read the article so i can't say much. But what I can say is....Twin Cam, Inline Turbo'd 6 YEAH BABY!!! Oh wait, i forgot, it's a 4.0L and it's in an XR6 :D

I think RB26DETT was being a little bit over exhuberant with his title, but what the hell, each to his own.

Guest |aunch

Yeah, true Birty, true. I just think that if some ppl actually tried these other kinds of cars, they really would like them. Because they haven't driven the car, they shouldn't rubbish it, especially when their opinions are based on such obviously biased reviews

/endrant

No hard feelings anyone, just had something to get off my chest...

:D

Like I said, to each his own, any car can be made into a top car, some have more potential then others, others stock, are better then others. It all comes down to personal preference, i'll take a crack at anything if it's got the goods, unless it's got a holden badge on it, then it'd have to be very very impressive to impress me.

i agree that both cars have their good points and that the article may be biased. but performance figures speak for themselves. how'd a stock v8 do against a skyline in the quarter mile? n u've asked me to compare a stock skyline against a ferrari. i know the skyline would get trashed, but how'd about putting a stock holden or ford against a ferrari? wouldn't it get trashed?

anyway, there are ferraris, corvettes and mclaren f1 gtrs in the japanese grand touring championship and i don't see them on the podium.

i know i may be biased against the v8s but i can honestly say i've ridden in a holden hsv n it didn't do much for me, but that's just me.

if it's true that the v8s are able to hold their own in a race against the skylines, maybe it's high time the skylines were allowed into the supercar cup again??

well here are some figures...

ferrari f360 v8 engine: 0-100km/h 4.5sec, 0-400m 12.6 and top speed of about 292.8km/h

bnr34: 0-100km/h 4.9 sec, 0-400m 13.7 and top speed of about 310km/h

and this is the gtr34 released in 1998, not the updated nur spec so it's not the fastest stock gtr available.

i think that's not too shabby considering the engine capacity difference, and the lack of f1 technology in the gtr.

anyway, no hard feelings but tot i'd just point out that a gtr might not do too badly against a ferrari's v8.

Guest |aunch

rb26dett: All I was saying about the Ferrari V8 part, was that when you think V8, don't automatically think pushrod Ford or Holden. There is a lot of nice V8 stuff out there! Take the Toyota/ Lexus engines for example...

Oh, and about what you were saying about letting the Sky's racing the V8s, I wish the f u ( k that they would!

I wouldn't mind seeing some chasers in there either! It would surely make the field a bit more interesting.

Yeah, no hard feelings buddy, I think some of my feelings from the Autospeed V8 versus high-tech flame wars was coming out there... Heavy emotional baggage you see, what, with the flashbacks and all :D

Catch u round

Well this is interesting!I think both are great!

Every car made is a compromise between power,handling,style,&cost to produce.To make one area better

causes another to suffer.Anyone who says that one engine setup

is better than another with out stating the intended main use for the car is being a little short sighted aren't they?

rb26dett - mate, you are right. The Nissan RB26 is an awesome engine(I've got 2 of them) & even with very little modification is an

excellent all round performer.Ever notice though, how 2 or 3 people in the car will affect it's performance?Or the fact that you must rev it up before dumping the clutch to avoid bogging down.

How about towing or sitting on very high speeds for long periods of time?Skylines are race bred cars, designed for superior handling, top end power, and very sick speeds.They are wild sports cars without a doubt.

But to say they kick V8s?? How many decent V8s have you driven?

Remember you are comparing Japan's best engine with a basic domestic engine available in a taxi or wagon.Even the Gen III V8

is detuned & stiffled with a pee shooter exhaust system.V8s are about torque.Seat of the pants - push you in the back - torque.

From just off idle most V8s will power away without any fuss & the bottom end torque feels great.I had an 8.2L (502ci) chev V8

in a holden ute (5 speed/tall diff etc) and the way it felt in any gear was just wicked.Most V8 cars have wide, comfortable seats,

plenty of space, and you can just hop in and cruise anywhere in Australia in comfort.They are tourers,tow cars, and generally very nice to drive.I have been in a 98 F1 spider.The sound of that 3.5L

V8 at 8000rpm is like nothing else on earth.The 350 chev I had in another ute sounded sweet at 9000rpm (650hp).

We have had all different types of V8s over the years in our family

& even as a total skyline nut I still love V8s, & will always have one in some form of another.Variety is the spice of life.

You don't have a V8 commodore instead of a skyline.They are for different purposes.If you can, you have both - if you can't you compromise & pick one.

I have spent most of the evening thrashing around Adelaide with a group of about 25-30 cars.About half of the group were turbo Skylines & the other half V8 Holdens(early & late model).

I chose to take my R34 GTR. We all had a great time.

But if I had to drive to Melbourne tomorrow, I know what I would be taking.

Holden VU SS ute - 5.7L Gen III V8, 6 speed, tiger.

Opinionated Revhead.

Guest |aunch

Munro: Exactly what I was trying to say...

Being a country boy, I know the importance of practicality, space and long distance touring ability...

Well posted

i'm not saying that v8s r lousy. all i'm saying is that in a straight shootout, the skyline would win. i agree that the skyline is race bred. that's what the engine code stands for. but skylines u buy have been detuned, not only to meet japan's govt. restrictions but to make sure ppl dun kill themselves. if the v8s aren't about racing as you said, then y do ppl do comparisons between skylines and v8s?

i'm from asia and i noe that the skylines r about as good as japanese cars get. so correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the v8s as good as aussie cars get? even tho i noe that they have their roots in usa, they have been researched and developed to be an aussie icon haven't they?

anyways from the other side of the argument, shouldn't you feel proud that they've chosen the v8 to use as a comparison against the top japanese car??

Tze, ever since the mid 70's, the government have cracked down on big V8's, when ford went to Release the Phase IV GTHO, it was banned, the government put a stop to the whole thing because it was too fast and too powerful. (Don't know horsepower, but it had a top speed of 160mph, which for it's day was damned quick) The Phase III GTHO was the fastest 4 Door Production car of it's time, and the Phase IV would of killed it. Ever since then, the public image of V8's went down, till in the mid 80's they were basically pissed out the window, and when they turned to fuel injection the only aussie V8's (Holdens) were pretty poor. Ford even stopped producing V8's.

It's only been the last few years that HSV have started producing high HP V8's (AND THEY SUCK :lol: :lol: :lol:), ford have no followed suit and the new BA falcons are looking to be some pretty tidy performance cars. V8's are just starting to really get moving (New ones) and over the next few years will only get faster, and better quality cars.

• 11 years later...

Ah tze, just wait mate, the next gen falcons coming out shortly :uh-huh: They've had the government to contend with for years, telling em to keep down power and sh*t. Wait mate, just wait.

This guy ^

He saw the xr6t craze before it hit, dear son of rajab knower of all future car trends what can we expect in the coming few years :bow: