SAU Community

Total War

DivHunter

I'm a big fan of the TW series but wasn't that enthused for the newest installment Napoleon: Total War until two words were uttered;

Multiplayer

Campaign

I immediately orderd the Emperor Edition.

Anyone else play the TW series?

Just between you and me and anyone else that reads this thread...I never played Shogun.

My most succesful multi would have been Viking Invasion, my viking army was almost unstoppable. 1v1 no contest. 2v2 easy. I even had a pug 4v4 team collapse and my vikings routed 3 enemy armies before running out of vikings to send to valhalla. Then again there was little that could defeat 4x4 heavy infantry and skirmish screen with no other faction having 4 or more types of heavy inf let alone heavy inf with that high morale. All that raping and pillaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a huge fan of the TW series.... Literally played Medieval/VI to death! Invaded Scandi as the Saxons lol! Swabians & Huscarls FTW!!! Loved Rome, although not the glitches, with Rome I dedicated a lot of time to assisting several modifications, RTR, EB, Invasio Barbarorum and the Chivalry mod (I even participated in the Latin-voice mod hehe)... Enthusiasm curbed after I bought MedII though.... The fact CA couldn't even get Axemen/Halberds to work in game.... WTF? After which I played mods only... I didn't even by Empire, hardly crossed my mind in fact..

Multi campaign though........... Don't... Think........ I.... Can..... Re......sis.........t......

Might buy it on steam ey..

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

Aawww no call to be a meany!

I just recall hours and hours played the series... Should have been studying more in yr11 and 12, but no.... TW and Civ destroyed my education! Would be good to hit up a Multi campaign though, they've being trying to implement it since Viking Invasion IIRC.. As I said, didn't even buy Empire TW, did not even consider it.... Hopefully Nappy is a step in the right direction!

For the record though, I moved my time from TW style games and have since become a big fan of Paradox Interactive. They are both quite in depth games, and executed very differently, but PI support is a whole lot better than CA/Sega..

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

Spent hours on all the Total War games from Rome TW onwards, played it absolutely to death, come to think of it I was playing it yesterday. Medieval TW 2 was great fun and Kingdoms was a great expansion that I actually ended up playing more than the original campaigns. Empire I didnt rate at all, it doesnt have the same mechanics I came to love, siege warfare and melee combat, way too much musket and cannon for my liking. Played it through once and that was enough for me to never play it again.

Recently got Napoleon TW and I must say its much more impressive and immersive. The way you can play the actual campaigns of Napoleon is a great addition to the series, I throughly enjoyed the mechanics of these particular campaigns, the pre determined events and Liberating a country and making it subservient to your nation. I particularly liked the attrition, your troops slowing dying on the long march from Krakow to Moscow in the blistering cold or dying from the extreme heat in the desert trying to trek some isolated settlement in Egypt.

• 2 years later...

I hope they dont fark it up. As much as I have enjoyed all of their games, the cinematic feel and simplified civilization management feels like a slow downward spiral. Only reason i dont still play Shogun is the lack of unit variety. So fingers crossed Rome will excel (like it has previously) at different factions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...