SAU Community

Hank's HMMWV, we're going to war! (or at least the shops)

I'd like to preface this thread with the fact that I know this isn't a Skyline nor is it even a Nissan build thread. I've been on this forum for years, contribute and I have quite a few friends on here that don't use Facebook so can't follow my build on there so I'm using this platform for my build.

So, let's get down to it!

When I was younger I always wanted a Hummer H1 or a Hummer H2, it was a bit of a poster car for me, just always thought they were awesome. I still can't afford either of those cars, but when I saw that the US Military was beginning to sell off old Am General HMMWVs (High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle, the OG, the Humvee that inspired the civillian cars) I knew I needed one... badly! 

I've been involved with exporting cars to the States for almost 2 years now, so I've made a couple of friends and contacts. After months of annoying and pestering him, Kristian (aka Iron Chef Imports/Iron Block Imports) finally figured out how we could purchase an HMMWV off off GovPlanet (GovPlanet is the site the US Government uses to sell surplus military equipment and all of the Humvees) and we got bidding! I should add, if we purchased one made before 1989 we knew we could import it under the pre-89 rule and keep and register it LHD here in WA.

On the 5th of April I woke up extra early to check the Auctions as I had placed a bid, I got excited, sent a screenshot and it was confirmed, I'd just purchased a 1988 AM General HMMWV... what had I just done?

1094566_6002_106_0001.jpg.42a99212dc580e11b21877816fada2cf.jpg1094566_6002_160_0001.jpg.a7a6f7fa9c9e6fca4bbfdd70ddbfb24f.jpg

Those are 2 of the many auction photos of my car (still available to view at GovPlanet), I had purchased a tan (my preferred colour), M998 (basic troop carrier), in a 2 man set up, but with 4 seats (as you can see ot has 2 canvas doors, a canvas 2 man roof and a canvas 2 man rear curtain but with rear seats and seatbelts in place) with a 6.5L N/A Detroit Diesel engine. In recent years the Humvee has been used in the production of a TV Series "The Long Road Home".

After waiting 6 and a half weeks for paperwork to be sorted we finally got the call to come and pick up the car. So our man in Texas drove up on the 20th of May to pick the big rig up, it JUST fit on the car trailer.

bdb53797-03f1-4a63-9681-1d29c2202ac6.thumb.JPG.cde9423b72675c3f382be50026a2f536.JPG8e218d30-d8a4-473f-a99b-4d1fec4d0ea3.thumb.JPG.42c40076cbf775726ce0e481ea5f4860.JPG6a253627-0c46-4137-8a14-d5a735781b72.thumb.JPG.455224013f7af55abb46b6648a241d99.JPG

From there the vehicle was towed back to our agent's house, we went over it on video chat and (surprise surprise) found a couple of mechanical things that required attention. We knew this would be the case and saw various photos of worn and leaking parts, but in general it looked in good condition. The vehicle also started up the very first time, which is always an excellent sign.

The vehicle is now at a Military vehicle workshop in Texas called "M2 Services", the M2 guys sole job is to work on military vehicles and we're talking trucks 5 times the size of my Humvee, so they've got plenty of room to hold onto my car while we organise all the parts we want to put on before export.

The plan is to get most stuff done over there so compliance is easy when it gets to me. I don't really want to pay international freight on large parts, particularly body parts.

More info to come!

• Like 9

My first parts acquisition has been a pair of front X-Doors. These apparently used to have the supplemental armour fitted to them, but it has been removed.

Although I can probably get the car registered with the standard canvas doors on it, the stitching around the windows/zippers have come undone so would need to be sewed back up. I also think the X-Doors look a hell of a lot better and will give the car a bit more security.

I finally found a pair at a reasonable price so made the purchase, they're getting sent from Kansas to my truck in Texas as we speak.

These doors need a bit of work and a lick of paint but people don't often like to sell just a pair of fronts if they have a whole set available.

X-Door.thumb.jpg.f2210cf904de5f4924859facafeea760.jpg1277734515_X-Door1.thumb.jpg.a16945f13e827186423ac3f0d84a213b.jpg

• Like 1

Hey mate, not sure if you noticed but this is a skyline forum haha

Good work Hank. Keep it coming! Can’t wait to see it scaring everyone out of the way

Just now, TiTAN said:

It won't scare them out of the way, the only things on the road that couldn't outrun it are trucks and busses.

Might work in peak hour though ?

7 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

This is great.
These are damn big vehicles. WA is the Emirate States of Aus, time to eat up some dunes

They're not that long or tall, just wide (2.18m wide to be exact). Should be a bit of fun in the sand.

7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

lol classic.

finally a car harder to park at coles than my titan!

Haha! I've been reading your Titan thread as well. As above it will be too wide for most bays, I'm more than ready to park up the back out of everybody's way, nobody wants to be "that bloke". I see them all the time in F250/F350s or even just people with trailers, park out of the way!!!

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Just drop a RB25/30 AWD motor, 1000hp and send it!

Something something low down torque? :P

In all seriousness though, would be great to reliably cruise >100 km/h haha

6.7/7.3 power stroke?
5.9 cummins?
6.6 duramax?

Easiest would be just a 6.5L turbo motor.

The later models use a 4L80E transmission so a few guys have done an LS conversion.

I THINK the 6.6L is also a popular option, but requires a 2” body lift (which I’m planning anyway to fit bigger tyres underneath)

The cummins is also popular as they are tanks and they just keep going if you service them right, the internet says people use the 4l80e or the older 3 speed turbo 400 behind them just fine?

The 6.5 that comes stock is fairly eh even with a turbo I thought which was why people go to the effort of swapping them? 12v 6bt for the computerless running and dirt cheap power mods.

The thing that stops you going fast is the Turbo 400, can’t really get above 110 km/h with it, especially for long periods of time, you really need to get the 4L80E if you want to go “fast”.

If you want to get to speed quickly, you’re right, the 6.5L turbo isn’t great, it does however make more power and torque than the NA motor and would be the cheapest option (buy a turbo drivetrain out of a late model Humvee with transmission and basically bolt it in)