SAU Community

Turbocharge my N/A R33?

Guys I was just wondering whether it is worth putting a factory turbo on my GTS R33? The turbo is free btw....What are the pros and cons....after affects of performance etc? Ta.

> Guys I was just wondering whether it is worth putting a factory turbo on my

> GTS R33?

No it's not

> The turbo is free btw....What are the pros and cons

Possiblity of:

- Different fuel pump

- Different manifold (no direct bolt on I dont think)

- Different ECU (Car Computer)

- Install intercooler (factory one is ok)

- Brake Upgrade

Albet the 33 GTS is a fine tuned N/A car its not feasible for direct bolt on. Much better to sell and get a stock GTST. Cuts out the hassles of ECU, Fuel maps/sensors etc which can affected as soon as you Turbocharge it.

> after affects of performance etc

Higher fuel usage. Faster acceleration. Induction sound. BOV sound.

Much higher kw at the flywheel and wheels. GTST stock is 187 at the flywheel, I think the R33 N/A is around 90kw at the flywheel.

My Advice, drive a friends GTST and then go buy one :P

Seriously, you can spend $5k to turbo yours properly and it wont have the same resale value as GTST as its been converted

Same argument VL N/A upgrade to VL Turbo.

Other things different between the two models:

-N/A brakes are TERRIBLE and not SAFE for Turbo conversion (well the VL ones aren't)

-N/A ECU would be shit as (the rb30 n/a ECU that is)

In the "turbo" forums people ask the similar question:

> Should I go the RB26 upgrade for my GTST?

The short answer is no unless you want something specific. Some people think if you get a GTST and swap engine for an RB26 that its worth almost as much as a GTR. Theres many more features in the GTR that yours wont have. Brakes/ECU/Fuelpump/Intercooler etc are some of them. If you wanna just wanna run two turbos then no. If you wanna stroke it, cams, pistons, ecu, apexi powerfc, single high mount turbo etc.... and u want 800bhp then yes RB26, else no as you'll have hardcore traction problems.

Hope this helps a little. Bu all means get some quotes but youll probably find its not worth it as it wont have a much higher resale value as its still a GTS

Guys I was just wondering whether it is worth putting a factory turbo on my GTS R33? The turbo is free btw....What are the pros and cons....after affects of performance etc? Ta.

i agree with paulr33. its either you get a new front cut and do your conversion from there or dun even bother at all. at the end of the day, the cost and hassle is too much work... a conversion is still highly recommended than a bolt-on UNLESS your internals are already built for it... such as the NA supras that came with forge pistons already ...

Haha sorry for the low figures. I realise my estimate was way out :P All in all it is probably better and cheaper and more cost effective in regards to economy of scale to sell yours and a GTST instead. But each to their own

Some prefer to do the upgrade themselves (from N/A to T) and learn along the way etc. Just remember its not a simple as bolt on turbo, start engine and your off. There are lots of other factors to be done as metioned above.

If your going to do, do it properly (this is where the main cost comes from) and upgrade everything else as you will need it

Im pretty sure, not 100%. I know all the fuel maps and airflow ratings will change as your engine is use to say x amount of air flow and it will now get say x + 300 of airflow. Could even max out your stock airflow meter. Not sure if they are different between N/A and T

Also engine compression could be a problem as rb25de and rb25det have different compression levels

meaing when you bolt on your T it could be affect the engine and youll be restricted to a low boost level, like 6psi max.

Ask in the forced induction forum about ecu change if you bolt on a on turbo to rb25de

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about this late reply I'm currently overseas. Let me rephrase that. The Intercooler is free, the turbo is free, I only have to pay the labour and anything else that is reqd?

your ECU would go crazy over the forced induction.

besides, the RD25DET has stronger pistons and a lower compression ratio. i've heard horror stories of guys adding bolt-ons and have blown up their RB25DE. Two different engines.