SAU Community

Brakes

I just went to the local Auto1 and got a set of bendix pads... so yeah, just pop down the local whatever, you don't need a special sort but don't expect them to be on the shelves in vast quantaties.... the sad fact is, you own an imported skyline... parts are a lil harder to get than just picking it off the shelf (usually)... but i'm sure you already know that....

haha yeah, Wouldnt change it for the world though. Ive only had the car for a few weeks, but i dont think the novelty will wear off in the near future.

Back on topic tho, good to hear, i wasnt sure if they were hard to come by or if i needed specialty pads to fit etc.

Thanks for your help

yeah, i'm in the same boat as you... i'm a skyline man through and through these days....

Also, if it helps.... i'm pretty sure the z32 300zx's run the same pads (could only be rear though so don't quote me).... that might make them easier to find....

Actually guys, just went down to supacheap autos in bundy to get some pads, looked in the bendix book and they had listings for all the skylines. Though i have an R31, i did notice that they even stocked R32's and 33's, not sure about 34's though.

I'd highly recommend the RB74 pads front www.racebrakes.com.au

These pads are rated higher than the entire Bendix range and won't fade anytime soon compared to the Bendix range (well on a track that is). From memory they cost me ~$150 for a set of front and maybe $140 for a set of rear pads.

Bendix will fade quicker and put more black shit on your wheels than you could imagine.

The part numbers for the Bendix Brakepads are DB1170 for the front and DB1220 for the rear.

I bought a set of the front ones for $75.00 from Autobarn

excellent, ill give the bendix a go and see what theyre like. im in a bit of a hurry to get it done. It seems they shouldnt be a drama to come by which is a plus right now. In the future things will be different will plan ahead lol.

Thanx for your help guys

I would do as Ben says and get yourself a pair of RB74's. They crap all over any Bendix pad you care to mention.

They cost more but are worth every cent. Less noise, less dust, and better temperature tolerance than Bendix pads.

Do you drive down any long hills? Ok it's not so important especially if you have a manual box, but brake fade under normal driving conditions is something to consider. I dunno, I just never skimp on brake pads or fluid. Not when a full set of 4 pads is less than one tyre for me, and they last 3-4 times as long.

Bendix Ultimates are the bare minimum pad I will accept, but I don't like them because of the amount of noise, dust, and disc wear they cause.

Also don't forget about your brake fluid when replacing your brakes. Caltex GP600 is probably the best dot 4 fluid out there, surpassing many dot 5's in temperature tolerance, but with none of the drawbacks (eg, the sponginess you can get with silicone fluids).

I have had them on my Alfa Romeo with matching EBC Turbo rotors (grooved and drilled, but not drilled all the way through for strength) for about 2-3 months now and have taken them on track only once but whenever I get a chance to let a friend drive the car I always get them to floor the brakes at speed to show off how great the brakes are. They are unbelievable! So gerat that the ABS doesn't even kick in unless it's really provoked.

I am not sure how worn they are, although when I installed them they were rubbin on the rotors, even without braking and this went away after my track day so I assume I have worn them down some.

I'm looking forward to getting them for my GT-R too. The brakes on my Alfa are so much better, feel better, more progressive than the brakes on my R32 GT-R.

Justinfox, how long have you had them for? I have heard that they are very soft and don't last a long time, and cost like $200 a pair.

I've got greenstuff's on the front of mine. Go them at around 45,000km, and the clock has just ticked over to 85,000km. I'd say that they would have about 30-35% left on them.

I love the initial bite on the greenstuffs. No need drag the brakes to warm them up. They just bite and then get better. I have never noticed any brake fade on them, even after going down the Clyde mountain at warp 5 :D Down the bottom they were just as good as they were up the top.

The big killer is price, got mine for about $220.

My advise would to look around. I'm sure there would be better value for money brake pads out there, so it depends on what sort of money your willing to spend and what your driving style is.

J

Duncan, NOT having a go at you mate but it would be great if you were to tell us why you found the greenstuff pads dissapointing? Constructive crit goes a long way on a forum.

I've been on other forums before, non skyline related, and many forums are the same. Even when you search for help you get a lot of threads which contain a lot of posts but almost confuse you more than clear anything up for you afterwards!!!