SAU Community

what importer is the best

letsgodriftin

do any of these importers assure you that your car is running and in working order.

For example what happens if you get your car off the ship and it doesnt even drive? has anyone heard of this happening before?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day All,

I have to agree with Funky and rigga here.... I also got my R33 through these guys, and the service has been awesome. I'm stereo install was also done by Gareth, sub box and all, and as we all know, that's not exactly the easiest task in a R33. :(

What else can I say, well, I had my car broken into stereo stolen, dash and window smashed etc.... pretty messy, but yeah, Jspec helped me sought out new one. Oh yeah, my suspension........... bought 2 sets, just to try out...... Gareth the poor bas#$d helped me fit both free of charge, when the first set of Tein's he put in, weren't to my liking.

And finally, got myself a new set of wheels and an exhaust on its way through these guys.

While importing itself is much of a muchness....... the ongoing service these guys provide is second to none.......Nothing but praise for these boys.

Good luck!

Come to think of it, my car would be so phcuked if I didn't have them as a contact.

do any of these importers assure you that your car is running and in working order.  

For example what happens if you get your car off the ship and it doesnt even drive? has anyone heard of this happening before?

The reputable ones will guarantee that when the car arrives it is EXACTLY to spec and AS PROMISED. You should be able to get this in writing before you hand over a cent.

I have nothing but praise for Geoff @ Prestige. He was a great help throughout the purchase of my car, and while I don't recieve it until later this year, I am fully confident that it will be as discribed.

Frankly, I don't think you could go wrong with either Prestige or J-spec: they are popular for a reason :)

Oh, and hands off FunkyMonkey, he's a top bloke :(

LW.

i sent geoff at PMS an email asking about shipping companies and he even sent off an email to the shipping company he usese then next week i get a quote from that company, what a helpful guy he is.. i am looking at importing something thru him but atm i dont have the cash to do so, :)

I have found Geof at Prestige to be great :) , I sent him an email the other day and he called me back within about 5 minutes. I believe Craig @ J-Spec is a little busier as he hasnt returned my email in nearly a week. I could be on his ignore list :( as i ask a LOT of questions :jk: LOL

Anyways I agree that you probably cant go wrong with either!

B

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all (not sexist)

I live in Tassie and yes please let me have the jokes.

now to the point......i wish to import a R34GT-T but as you may figure there is a bit of water in between me and the suggested importers. For this reason choosing an importer is a hard thing to do. I need someone that can organise EVERYTHING, as making little trips every couple of weeks is not an option. obvioulsy with the boats and such someone that will get the car to melbourne or sydney complianced and perhaps onto the boat there would be a godsend. I read that jspec continue there service after you get your vehicle, but of course i can't just drive in so someone who will assist me if something is wrong.

edstrodamous: I'm importing an r32gts-t to tassie through j-spec and am very happy with the service they provide. The car hasn't arrived yet but so far the e-mails and phone calls have been quickly answered. Prestige have also attracted my attention for the more modified cars. Either is a safe bet in Tassie.

As for local importers, I'm sure Gritthis Automotive(spelling?) could help you out, though I haven't used them personally. They usually have a few imports in stock.

Hello,

I went through J-Spec. Ben was my dealer there. Before you start you should really work out how much money you want to play with and let them know, if you going for a r33 gts-t your looking at 4500 just for compliance and the car itself depending on the K's series etc. Best thing is try them to look for stocko's as the compliance shop will rip the mods t of the car and return it to stocko. Also J-Spec have the cheapest fee's its 500 dollars up front and 500 at the end thats the only fee's they have for the broker, other fee's are FOB costs getting is complianced, registered, roadworthy and the Boat people fee's.

But i would highly recommend J-Spec.

Jitesh: good to hear you had a pleasant experience. Personally I wouldn't recommend an agent on price grounds (within reason): just go with whoever seems to give the best services; a few hundred to an agent is a small compared to the thousands one is spending on their cars.

I went with Prestige, whose fee is $1000 + GST. There are other agents who do it for cheaper, but is a small saving over the two established players (J-spec is certainly not the cheapest arround) worth a risk? Not imho ;)

BTW, can someone convince J-spec to please please please update their javascripts (image pop-up in particular) to work correctly with Firefox. Its so damn irritating :D

LW.

i get paid to do it, i don't complain lol. I'm working on a flash based workaround for it which in combination with layers should make it show up on ALL browsers. unless you use opera... no one cares about opera users :(

the pics are pretty low res as it is, sticking watermarks on em dosen't help... plus they want to be able to get the images directly off the auction houses and hide lot numbers etc so competitors can't use em (like yahoo motorsports who blatantly advice customers to sign up to j-spec's mailing list and email them when they see something good).

Right now the php script we made up for em basically caches a local copy of the images they get from live auction houses. However when you get a huge db system that lists over 50 auction lots at a time and the loading time of the page depends heavily on the caching of 50 images from a jap server that has really shitty bandwith, thiings start to get real slow. Hence why we're trying to figure out a new system for them.

Anyhow, can't discuss any more details coz I'll probably get a slap upside the head for revealing how their system works :(

the pics are pretty low res as it is, sticking watermarks on em dosen't help... plus they want to be able to get the images directly off the auction houses and hide lot numbers etc so competitors can't use em (like yahoo motorsports who blatantly advice customers to sign up to j-spec's mailing list and email them when they see something good).

Right now the php script we made up for em basically caches a local copy of the images they get from live auction houses. However when you get a huge db system that lists over 50 auction lots at a time and the loading time of the page depends heavily on the caching of 50 images from a jap server that has really shitty bandwith, thiings start to get real slow. Hence why we're trying to figure out a new system for them.

Anyhow, can't discuss any more details coz I'll probably get a slap upside the head for revealing how their system works :(