SAU Community

Anti Virus Stuff.

BASHO

The hard drive on my computer has crapped out WTF knows why ? I don't , anywho I'm just about to receive a new laptop and will need to load up some anti virus stuff and as I know stuff all about this kind of thing I would be gratefull if anyone out there who does could recomend the best way to go.

I was running Norton but it seemed to want all the computer to itself at times when updating though that could have just been the cheapo Hardly Normal Compaq I was using.

I've been told that there is good free stuff available but I don't care if I pay for it as long as it works well .

Any advice gratefully received .

:(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

installing and running setup should be pretty straight forward

product-choice-wise...this is always subjective......maybe start by checking out cnet and review some internet security (incorporating antivirus and firewall, etc) products.

I stopped using Norton for my small business and now use a combination of Trend, Avast and AVG.

i use avast. it is good. ran it on my mothers boyfriends computer which was running some other one (not sure if it was AVG or norton or mcafee) and it picked up 4 viruses when doing a boot scan.

Thanks for the replys everyone, couldn't get onto SAU (no computer handy) so I ended up buying Kaspersky on the recomendation of the computer guys who are trying , I suspect in vain, to download the email and 'my computer' files from my previous much rooted hard drive.

Anyone used Kasperky ? it seems to be very s-l-o-w and a bit resource hungry.

To perform a full systems scan more than 3 hours first time and an hour and a half the second.

Bitdefender total security 2010 for me, best antivirus i've ever had not too resource hungry always scanning in the background and it has a game mode setting that will stop the Real time scan while you play your games, its brilliant. Got a good inbuilt firewall to boot.

Kaspersky hungry????? It is running right now and using all of 2,000k of memory (not real hungry if you ask me) I have used it for the last 4 years and from the start it has been the least demanding of all the Protection on the market.

I used to do alot of online gaming and it never affected system performance. They also have one of the most up to date virus databases with updates every couple of hours.

It is even one of the cheapest now (atleast in AUS) with a 3pc use 2 year licence only costing $89.

Quick review to read. (it has been top 2 for the last 3 years and only second this year due to cost, as you can see)

Review 1

There are a couple of other reviews that have it listed lower but they even say it is only due to the cost.

You will find Kaspersky will get faster at scans as it gets on but do remember the bigger the drive the longer it will take at least you know it is doing it properly.

And lets face it you can still use the computer when it is doing a scan.

You made the right choice.

p.s They also make a very good Mobile Phone Protection!!!!

Edited by 99 GTT

Well i guess it comes down to what settings you run as well, how it scans and so on.

Some AntiV virtually brings the PC to a half (not Kasp specifically), but others are terrible lol

Well I guess as years go by there are always going to be something newer / better...

Basically if it (Microsoft SE) uses less HDD space / RAM but at the same time is more powerful then the other Anti-Virus software's, is all I am really concerned about.

Its using 41K of memory the way mine is setup with real-time etc, which on 4GB really isn't a worry for me :D

It auto updates, auto scans etc and i honestly cannot feel a difference which honestly for me is excellent and exactly what i want.

When i say hungry, it just CPU intensive when its doing stuff which shits me for most AntiV

Although in saying that i never ran anti virus software for the better part of 8 years until MSE was released.

They either gave me grief over applications, were too intrusive with the settings i wanted, interferred with game hosting etc etc and similar issues around that space.

I tried one every 12 months or so but just CBFd with most in the end and deleted them as they were shitty :blink:

Its using 41K of memory the way mine is setup with real-time etc, which on 4GB really isn't a worry for me :D

It auto updates, auto scans etc and i honestly cannot feel a difference which honestly for me is excellent and exactly what i want.

When i say hungry, it just CPU intensive when its doing stuff which shits me for most AntiV

Although in saying that i never ran anti virus software for the better part of 8 years until MSE was released.

They either gave me grief over applications, were too intrusive with the settings i wanted, interferred with game hosting etc etc and similar issues around that space.

I tried one every 12 months or so but just CBFd with most in the end and deleted them as they were shitty :blink:

Yeah true that!

Sounds like it uses bugger all memory and does a great LOL!

Like what you said "It auto updates, auto scans etc and i honestly cannot feel a difference which honestly for me is excellent and exactly what i want."

That's pretty much what NOD32 did for me and was great.

NOD32 is just bugging me for a username and password, so I am gonna end up probably going with MSE.

Thanks for that man!