SAU Community

Sti 22b

Just had a blue 2 door STI visit the neighbour, it just looked and sounded much better than a normal wrx sti, it was in show room condition, on closer inspection I realised it was a 22B. Back in the day (a young kid) I loved te 22b. Now i hate most wrx's but still love the 22b. Just curious how many of them are in Australia? with under 400 made and a few of them going to the UK and a couple going to WRC and the odd occasional write off, i'm wondering what one of these would be worth in OZ?

cheers

From reliable sources around 4-6 were officially bought in the country by Subaru Australia. Subaru kept one and put the others for sale. Though I have personally seen 4+ private imported 22B's. Yes you are correct. 400 were made along with 3 prototypes numbered "000". The prototypes were given to David Lapworth, Colin McRae and Nicky Grist. From memory they made a extra 50 "Type UK" 22B which were only sold in Great Britain.

Where abouts do you live? You are lucky to spot a 22B is Australia. I personally have only seen 2 in the flesh (Both being at dealerships). I know of an owner who lives up near Woy Woy, Sydney.

Its hard to tell if its a Japanese or Australia delievered because 400 were made from 1998-1999. All of the 400 cars were sold in 48 Hours.You also mention it sounded better, potentially beacause the 22B had a unique 2.2L boxer engine rather than the usual 2.0L. It was the first Subaru to have a Intercooler water-spray button, adjustable rear wing and a changable Diff. Doesnt sound like much now but back in the late 90's these were very well above the current technology.

The 22B didn't have a radio, airbag or even ABS (IC waterspray taking up the space where the ABS was). Though it did have Blistein supension, STi struts, BBS Elektra wheels and a WRC-Spec wide body kit.

Edited by Rallye

I saw one recently that was a UK import, and it was the poorest condition and worst kept example I have ever seen.

You would think the enthusiasts that own them would treasure and look after them, but apparently this isn't always the case.

From reliable sources around 4-6 were officially bought in the country by Subaru Australia. Subaru kept one and put the others for sale. Though I have personally seen 4+ private imported 22B's. Yes you are correct. 400 were made along with 3 prototypes numbered "000". The prototypes were given to David Lapworth, Colin McRae and Nicky Grist. From memory they made a extra 50 "Type UK" 22B which were only sold in Great Britain.

Where abouts do you live? You are lucky to spot a 22B is Australia. I personally have only seen 2 in the flesh (Both being at dealerships). I know of an owner who lives up near Woy Woy, Sydney.

Its hard to tell if its a Japanese or Australia delievered because 400 were made from 1998-1999. All of the 400 cars were sold in 48 Hours.You also mention it sounded better, potentially beacause the 22B had a unique 2.2L boxer engine rather than the usual 2.0L. It was the first Subaru to have a Intercooler water-spray button, adjustable rear wing and a changable Diff. Doesnt sound like much now but back in the late 90's these were very well above the current technology.

The 22B didn't have a radio, airbag or even ABS (IC waterspray taking up the space where the ABS was). Though it did have Blistein supension, STi struts, BBS Elektra wheels and a WRC-Spec wide body kit.

I'm up near castle hill in Dural in Sydney, so not too far from WOY WOY, bout 25 min drive, he was an older fellow, easily well into his 60's and he gives the right peddal alitlle aswell.

It was blue and original gold rims, as i said it was showroom condition so i'd imagine an aussie car but who knows. He may have been a builder as he was talking to a neighbour who is building another house while he is renting here, just looked like a builder collecting money or discussing about the project.

Look cool (ish) and yes, I dreamed of one ten years ago. Still have a shit glass gearbox. I'd much much prefer a 34 @ that money.

I agree R34 for that sort of money, but for a STI it was the creme of the crop.

A few years ago there was one floating around botany, i believe the fire warden of botany fire station owned it, but it disappeared quickly and now owns a bug eye sti wrx, i did drool over it when i sore it in person, they are a unique car.

the one in the pictures for 88k looks like it had a front end accident as the color on the panels are mismatched.

A few years ago there was one floating around botany, i believe the fire warden of botany fire station owned it, but it disappeared quickly and now owns a bug eye sti wrx, i did drool over it when i sore it in person, they are a unique car.

the one in the pictures for 88k looks like it had a front end accident as the color on the panels are mismatched.

I think you'll find it's more a case of crap photos than anything - the guard widths do make the colours look quite different from panel to panel.

I suspect there are probably 15 or so in Australia. I also suspect they'll be worth bucketloads in about 10 years time. I'd happily stash one in my garage, but not if it meant having to sell my GT-R :action-smiley-069:

Look cool (ish) and yes, I dreamed of one ten years ago. Still have a shit glass gearbox. I'd much much prefer a 34 @ that money.

True that!

Damn!

Never seen a STi for that much :happy:

I don't know..

this one seem ok too.

That's damn fast!

Hammers hard too!

Modded 22B yeah...

Meh, these cars are awesome as collectors items, but surely surely most of the whiz bang on it can be done to a standard STi for cheaper than buying one?

Meh these cars are awesome as collectors items, but surely surely most of the whiz bang on it can be done to a standard STi for cheaper than buying one?

Correct, in the same way you can remove the aircon, tinted windows, stereo, rear wiper etc etc from an R34 GT-R and turn it into an N1 :happy:

Meh, these cars are awesome as collectors items, but surely surely most of the whiz bang on it can be done to a standard STi for cheaper than buying one?

I was thinking about saying that.

Correct, in the same way you can remove the aircon, tinted windows, stereo, rear wiper etc etc from an R34 GT-R and turn it into an N1 ;)

Lets hope you have the N1 engine too. :happy: