SAU Community

225/50/16 On Standard R33 Gtst Rims

Has anyone run 225/50/16's on standard R33 GTST rims. I think from memory they are only 6.5" wide, so in theory 225 maybe a bit wide. Just after some first hand reports for street, track, or drift cause the standard 205 are way too skinny. Just trying to keep stock look, I have a set of 18" Zivell speed rims that I run from time to time, but rather run standos. Thinking about Kumho KU36 as I reckon they are good bang for buck.

Street slow=Fine

Skids=Fine

Any speed type driving=Fail

My car understeers like crazy if Im pushing with them on, and dont even think of boost, unless sideways smokey action and steering with your throttle or hand brake is what your after.

They are OK for day to day going to work and thats it.

My 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
Street slow=Fine

Skids=Fine

Any speed type driving=Fail

My car understeers like crazy if Im pushing with them on, and dont even think of boost, unless sideways smokey action and steering with your throttle or hand brake is what your after.

They are OK for day to day going to work and thats it.

My 2 cents

I agree with all of that besides understeer.. My current set are Re001 225's all round and it's quite taily. Maybe just the way I drive tho :cheers:

205's feel very direct but ultimate grip level isn't fantastic and they look ridiculous especially from behind. 225's look much better but there is a LOT of sidewall slop. I found running 40psi to be reasonable, anything less is horrible.

225's for day to day fine, put 40psi in them unless you drive like a grandma and if you actually want to have fun then strap your 18's on.

If I had to choose for day to day driving I would still run 225's because the 205's just look retarded on a sports car. And yes, standard fitment options are 205/55/R16 and 225/50/R16.

I'm running 225/50 on s15 rims- they look waaay better than 205s and I didnt notice any deficiency in handling.

That being said, even with the old cheap Kumho 205s, I had no problems with straight line traction unless I dropped the clutch on launch. They were even good for reasonable 1/4 mile times!

your contact patch for 205 vs 225 is actually the same area, so straight line traction should be the same. the difference is the 205's are long and thin and 225's are short and fat, relatively speaking. it's the wider cross-section that helps with cornering grip.

unfortunately 225s have too much sidewall flex so turn in feels very vague. also once you exceed the traction boundaries the tyre moves about and again feels very vague, there's not a "limit" as such that you can treat with finesse but an area where traction comes and goes. yuck.