SAU Community

E85 For R35

Interested to hear from those who have tried it locally (prefer sydney).

I know martin has had success but would like to hear from "end users" too.

If so, how did you found the practical realities; any tune compromises (cold start, driveability, whatever). What injectiors/fuel pumps you went with, sourcing fuel in Sydney (still only one location?) and is it believed that the quality and supply of the fuel is good/consistent?

How would you manage swapping fuels or do you run e85 full time?

thoughts?

I cant speak for R35's but i've done this to my R32.

Sourcing fuel isnt that big of a deal, go and get a big drum of it for your first fill (this can be delivered full, or ive got an empty one here you can have for free, just come take it), then a heap of jerry cans. Whenever the drum is getting a bit low just take a quick trip to Rozelle (open 24/7) and fill them all up, then come back home and use a fuel jiggler to move the fuel to the drum then seal the drum up, your hands wont even get dirty. Or you could leave the fuel in jerry cans until its needed but ive done this and the jerry cans expanded big time (i left them in the car overnight and it was lunchtime the next day in the sun when i remembered). Even in my commodore (which is smaller than your holden) its easy to fit 6 or 7 jerry cans without using the boot, i prefer them jammed in tight incase there's a sharp corner etc. Using the boot, well, then you'd be able to bring back more than enough. Ive seen one guy at the servo with a red holden SS ute, he had a 44gal drum installed somehow (probably just a braket and some welding) into the tray, he was standing in the tray just filling up the drum - it took ages but i dont think he cares.

Your place is very close to the way i go to rozelle (on the eastern distributor, always get dinner in the city in the same trip), so im happy to help out if you like?!

From the tuner's comments, there's just SO much more to get out of this fuel, i had an exhaust restriction so we stopped, but other than that there was no pinging and with every dyno run it was making more and more power/torque.

I used Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors, and 2 bosch 044's mounted in a surge tank. I had rochester 1000's in there on pump 98 which maxed out at around 400rwkw on the very first dyno run. The 2000's actually have better idle, better low rpm control and of course more flow. Interestingly, the fuel consumption isnt as bad as the 1000's and its making more power now. Goes to show how good the ID's really are.

The car will be back there as soon as the new exhaust is made.

Also, i had an idea to get a few of these brackets and get them mounted in the car where the backseat usually goes;

FRUN2012.jpg

I figured, that gives a super long range, and while it looks a bit crappy in a nice GTR, once im at the track, just take them out along with all the other crap inside the car then leave the jerry's in the garage/pits. The downside is that then the brackets are in there for good. I personally dont care about that as they'd weight so little, but still havnt taken the plunge yet

950cc's for E85?

That doesnt sound right, maybe its an R35 specific thing, but my 1000's maxed out as i said around 400rwkw which is close enough to what you guys have standard

What duty cycle are those 950's running at?

Duncan, check schedule G before you move to E85. It is not legal in production cars because it does not meet the requirements for "pump fuel":

2.1 Pump Fuel: A commercial fuel (as defined above) available for sale on demand from a roadside retail bowser

outlet at each of at least five separate service stations in each of at least three Australian States. A mixture of

Pump Fuels with the same hydrocarbon profile is permitted (eg, brands of ULP may be mixed; ethanol-blended

fuels, ULP or diesel may not be mixed).

It may however meet the requirements for "commercial fuel" if that is what your supersprint regs specify:

2. Commercial Fuel: Petrol, automotive diesel, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or ethanol blended fuel, eg, “E85”

(as defined below) produced by an oil company and available for commercial sale in all States and mainland

Territories of Australia.

Not sure if it is actually "available" in all states, or what "available" actually even means. On the bright side it specifically mentions E85 so it may be OK.

btw its not on topic....but it shits me deeply.....

vp102 at about $4 a litre meets the requirements for pump fuel but E85 at $1/l does not. CAMS are almost as bad as ANDRA who ban it outright (the ANDRA fuel committee is run by the WA distributor of VP race fuels....)

Godzilla sells them for $295ea. I got mine from Mercury, call Trent, his price is less than that.

Plus, Trent very helpful and did exactly what he said he would, when he said he would.

• 3 months later...

I have Id1000s and will try E85 at track tomorrow. But on 98 noticest problems with long cold starts and hot starts . Also momentary loss of power at different areas on the rpm curve mostly under light acceleration loads but it also happens at 3500 and 4500 rpm at 50-75% thottle. This doesn't seem reproducable on the dyno.

It may actually be the clutch pulling in for a split second.

anyone have any ideas, or similar experience with large injectors running on 98?

btw its not on topic....but it shits me deeply.....

vp102 at about $4 a litre meets the requirements for pump fuel but E85 at $1/l does not. CAMS are almost as bad as ANDRA who ban it outright (the ANDRA fuel committee is run by the WA distributor of VP race fuels....)

not much of a 'conflict of interest' there? noooooo....