SAU Community

1999 R34 Gtr

syfon

Morning all,

As topic states, I may be buying a 1999 R34 GTR :ermm:

Basically I am after some information about the purchasing an already registered R34 GTR. Now, having owned a R33 GTS-t prior to this, I am very aware of the R34 GTR's performance, reliability etc, however I am also aware that the GTR is a completely different kettle of fish to that of the GTS-t.

I do have a fairly extensive knowledge base of the GTR engine & drivetrain and I know they are pretty much bullet-proof.

The specific GTR I am looking at is located in Perth and seems to be in immaculate condition, low km's and un-modified. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the history of this car or if anyone knows the owner? (Link is at the bottom of this post).

I know it's a bit of a short post, and this has probably been done before, however any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I don't want any "the price is too low and it's probably a lemon" comments - just helpful comments please :)

Cheers,

Jace.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=11252840F076

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha yes Bubba - I have always wanted one so i figured it's time to bite the bullet and buy one. But, i need to sell my car asap though!

Do you think the price is too good to be true?

Yes, it does look very clean & un-modified - just what i want :ermm:

Although keep in mind the car market right now, cars just aren't selling for much. It's a good time to buy and a poor time to sell.

For that price you could get it checked out, and if anything needs fixing you could fix it and still be in the black

Ok, i just spoke to the seller, he told me someone is flying in from over east on Tuesday to view the GTR, so obviously they must be very interested if they are flying halfway accross the country.

I will be viewing the car tomorrow morning and getting the owner to take me for a quick drive.

This kind of sucks, but i need to sell my BMW quickly - I have someone looking at it tonight so I hope it sells, but please spread the word as I need it gone!

If I go through with the purchase of the GTR, I will have my mechanic check it out on a hoist at his workshop (long time friend and reputable mechanic).

Cheers for the feedback, keep it coming :ermm:

Very good price but be sure to check it out yourself and also ask for the original dash cluster.

Recently 1 of my friend was going to buy a white vspec 2 NUR, everything went well until he took it to ERD for inspection. Oil pressure reaction to boost is abnormal and after sending the oil for testing, high contain of carbon or some other shit (forgot) in the oil. Even though the car looks clean and considering its a NUR, you would expect people to take really good care of them but no...

Anyway other than being a non-vspec, the price is really good.

Yes ideally I would prefer a V-Spec or V-Spec II, but I can't have my cake and eat it too :ermm:

I will have my mechanic check the car and hook it up to his diagnostics equiptment.

Are there any common problems with the R34 GTR non-vpsecs?

Sulfur?

Forgot, probably. Anyway its something that will steer you away unless you've got an engine rebuild lining up. I was shocked when he told me that because that car seems to be in good nick.

I went and had a look at it a few weeks ago. VERY clean car. Only real thing was it had 1 scratch under the drivers side headlight on the front bar.

I didn't think it had much go in it though being mostly stock. If you intend on modding it I think it's a very good example.

The owner seemed a pretty genuine and nice guy too.

Umm, I'll also ad he mentioned his friend imported it and couldnt afford to keep it, that's why he purchased it. He said it hadn't been that well maintainted by his friend but it's obvious the car is well looked after now.

Edited by gersfan

Ok no worries, cheers for the info.

I'll be seeing the car tomorrow morning with my older brother and we will look for any signs of poor care/maintenance.

I was also looking at purchasing this car as im going down the 34r path also!

However i am waiting for the right one, make sure you shop around Jason.

You have to remember these cars are even now past the 10 year mark so finding a great example may still be a difficult task.

Ok, i just spoke to the seller, he told me someone is flying in from over east on Tuesday to view the GTR, so obviously they must be very interested if they are flying halfway accross the country.

I will be viewing the car tomorrow morning and getting the owner to take me for a quick drive.

This kind of sucks, but i need to sell my BMW quickly - I have someone looking at it tonight so I hope it sells, but please spread the word as I need it gone!

If I go through with the purchase of the GTR, I will have my mechanic check it out on a hoist at his workshop (long time friend and reputable mechanic).

Cheers for the feedback, keep it coming ;)

Just because someone is flying over, it shouldn't mean that you need to rush your decision. If you're talking about 40k worth of something, you should make sure everything is going to be sweet.

PS if you do buy it, I really hope the guy flying over can either get his money back or is coming here for another reason :)

Saw the GTR this morning. Is in absolutely immaculate condition inside & out. As Rohan said, the only scratch is just below the front right headlight on the bumper, other than that everything is perfect.

Nathan & Tom - yeah i understand that I need look around for the right one, and yes $40K is a lot of money to spend on a car, however sometimes when you look you hit the jackpot on the first go.

I spoke to the seller, he said the guy that is flying over is brining cash for $42K and will buy it on Tuesday. I have to let him know if I am going to purchase it and place a deposit on it. The seller said he is happy for us to have it inspected by our mechanic so no probs there.

I just need to think about purchasing this as it is a lot of money. I obviously need to sell my BMW but I may get the funds for the GTR, buy it and then have the BMW sell within the next 1-2 weeks.

The owner did advise he has ALL receipts for ALL work performed on the car, even receipts for when the dash cluster was swapped for a Nismo one - so he can prove the KM's on the motor.

Everything with this 34R sounds perfect and the owner seems to be very open and genuine about what has been done to the vehicle and why he is selling.

I need to let him know by Monday, so I need to sort out my finances and see if I am able to do this!