SAU Community

RB25DET Gearbox Removal

OK - I've just done a search of the forums and can't find a 'How To' Guide to remove my gearbox. 4th Gear syncro has pooed itself majorly and it's time for a strip down and rebuild of the box. Any tips on how to get it out of the car?

Thanks in advance...

Let me suggest to you that if you don't know how to R & R a G/Box then you should really get a pro to do it. I also think you should post in the Maintenence Section,,,all boxes are basically the same,,,,just a matter of 2wd or 4.

:P;):)

Neil.

me and my dad pulled the gearbox out of my 33 gtst and replaced the clutch i must say it is a rather lengthy process. We went to my work and used the hoist so it wasnt too bad. Box comin out is the easy part, box going back in is the harder part.

Disconnect the battery first of all, undo top starter motor bolt from uptop which u can do easily if u have multiple extensions on a ratchet with 14mm i think. Bottom starter bolt u do from underneath. Clutch slave just unbolts from the box and can be wired to something to keep it out of the way for now. tailshaft has to be dropped obviously and also a tailshaft safety bar type thing that rests under the shaft towards the back. Undo bellhousing bolts. I dropped the engine crossmember down to the end of the threads just to bring the motor and box away from the firewall abit coz its mighty close.

I do not envy u if this is gonna be attempted on the ground coz wiggling that box back up into its location will be a big pain. not so much weight of gearbox itself its the top of the bellhousing that keeps hitting on the floor thats the hard part. Good luck with the operation

caminperth, dont be scared of pulling the gear box out. its not that hard hey. i pulled mine out in a few hours. same to put back in. how ever one tip. when putting back in. if it doesnt seem to want to slide all the way back in. get some 10 mm longer bolts in advance. 3-4 is all you will need. pull the bolts up untill there is slight even pressure on the bell housing. with the slave cylinder in place have someone put there foot on the clutch, wind the motor over BY HAND ONLY an this should help it all slide into place. like other said. doing by hand will be quite pain full. i would recomment getting some stands to push the back of the car arround 1 foot in the air. this will make the gear box easier to get in an out with out a hoist.

good luck.

There's a few tricks to getting the box back in.

The first thing I would suggest is to get a input shaft aligning tool. It's just an input shaft that you stick in the clutch that aligns the clutch plate.

BTW: most Nissan/Datsun gearboxes use the same size input shaft !! We used a 180B one last time :P

Apart from that, we usually get the box up as close as possible, then get someone to put it in gear, and then get them to put the tailshaft in the box and get them to twist it back and forth while pushing the gearbox in from the rear.

One thing to be careful with is the brass ring thing that the input shaft slides into that in the end of the crank ( I forget what it's called). It's easy to stuff up.

Oh, and have about 4 x 12 inch long extension bars so you can get the top two gearbox bolts out :) You'll see them when you tilt the gearbox/motor down towards the back.

Oh, and if you have a GTR, the top starter motor bolt SUCKS ASS !!!!

J

Oh, and have about 4 x 12 inch long extension bars so you can get the top two gearbox bolts out :P You'll see them when you tilt the gearbox/motor down towards the back.

This alone makes me want to get someone else to put it back in. MFG is it a bitch :P