SAU Community

How To Cover This Bit Of My Front Bar?

hey guys,

*see attached pic to know what im talking about*

i've thought long and hard to figure out a way in which i can cover up that dastardly looking mounting point for a GT-R badge.. unfortunately the front bar/grille are one piece so swapping the grille out is not a option.

Hopefully someone can think of some way in which i can over the damn piece to make the front look alittle more normal de-badged, figured as their are afew of these front bars floating around, somone has bound to have run into some solutions before :blush:

thanks in advance guys!

Joel.

post-71179-1273325445_thumb.jpg

you've got the mesh on the wrong side.

make a cardboard template for the mesh to sit as flush as possible against the back piece.

drill pairs of tiny holes along the line of the template on the panel

cut a piece of mesh (if possible a finer mesh than what you've got) to size using the template

paint the middle piece of the panel black so it blends into the under-bonnet area better

thread some thin solid metal wire through one of the pairs of holes you drilled earlier

loop the wires through the mesh and back through the other hole in the pair

tighten the wire by twisting it.

if possible spray the mesh black, so that the whole thing just blends together.

It would also help if you took the time to make sure your bumper sat right. Your RHS headlight needs to go up a bit, and that gnarly gap (possibly from fibreglass sag or bad fitting of screws) between the headlights and bumper needs to disappear.

is it the same car as your profile pic? the one that shows the plate though cause it looks the same.

anyway back to the first question. i would just cut the section out and tidy it up a bit.

is it the same car as your profile pic? the one that shows the plate though cause it looks the same.

anyway back to the first question. i would just cut the section out and tidy it up a bit.

car is mine, same car as profile pick, just stole the photo from the old owners days, he kept his plates though so i thought it would be considerate to not flash them around without his permision

yea abit cautious of attacking the car with a hack saw but might be what it has to come to :blink: also anyone have a clue how to go about getting paint colour matched? (car was sprayed before i bought it and wouldn't mind getting some touch up paint for those chips in the bottom corner

cheers guys

you've got the mesh on the wrong side.

make a cardboard template for the mesh to sit as flush as possible against the back piece.

drill pairs of tiny holes along the line of the template on the panel

cut a piece of mesh (if possible a finer mesh than what you've got) to size using the template

paint the middle piece of the panel black so it blends into the under-bonnet area better

thread some thin solid metal wire through one of the pairs of holes you drilled earlier

loop the wires through the mesh and back through the other hole in the pair

tighten the wire by twisting it.

if possible spray the mesh black, so that the whole thing just blends together.

It would also help if you took the time to make sure your bumper sat right. Your RHS headlight needs to go up a bit, and that gnarly gap (possibly from fibreglass sag or bad fitting of screws) between the headlights and bumper needs to disappear.

you put way to much effort into a nub question hehe :blink:

the mesh to me appears to be on the right side of the grill and in my opinion it would be easier to cut the center bit out and tidy it up with some fiber glassing work rather than muck around trying to make sure you cut the mesh so it fits snug against the edge of the grill.

personally this how i would do it. but thats me,

yea mesh is definitely on the right side considered getting some black grill, replacing the silver grill and just painting the middle bit but don't really think it will work how i want it to, yea cutting it is definitely the ideal solution but i simply don't trust myself to do it.. im still trolling the R33 photo thread looking for ideas :thumbsup:

yea im actually considering it, just as a guide, does anyone know approx. how much a panel beater will charge for the cutting, painting where it was cut, fixing those chips under the numberplate, and fixing a 10c piece sized paint crack on the front bar (from scraping on the floor and pulling the bar into the guard)

if its not to expensive i might aswell get it all touched up and save myself some hassle... for interests sake anyone know where i can get the car paint matched? (don't think its the factory code anymore), do places like autobahn/supercheap still do it?

cheers guys!

couldnt tell you how much they charge, i would imaging you might be ablr to get it matched at those places but i would say you need the paint code,

if its not the original paint code i wouldnt know what to do there. maybe a panel beater/ paint shop could tell you where to get it matched

wouldnt bother it'll cost ya half the price of a new bar even although its a small job so just go diy get some zipties and give it a shot its not a show car is it?

wouldnt bother it'll cost ya half the price of a new bar even although its a small job so just go diy get some zipties and give it a shot its not a show car is it?

nah mate yea might try it myself, worst comes to worst i could even bend the mesh so it comes into the grill alittle more covering up the cut completely and avoiding the need for the paint :D thanks heaps guys, ill probably try tackle it over the weekend! :)

Get the grill part painted black ( will cost $50 max from a spray painting shop) and mesh painted black too ( goto repco and buy a small can of black paint and take the mesh off then spray it). It will be less noticeable and the blacked out mesh will look better aswell

I did it to my car in the pic below

post-19216-1273716931_thumb.jpg