SAU Community

500k For A 40 Year Old Falcon

Phatboy

PM-R33, I do agree with you.

My favourite muscle car is the Shelby Cobra. Would I ever buy one? Possibly, if I won tattslotto. But that's because of the insane way it looks, the rawness and noise of it, and those side-pipes. Not because it's rare. If I could buy a perfect replica made in Thailand with all of those qualities for a fraction of the price and I wouldn't be able to really tell the difference, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that instead.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you reckon an AUS orig GTR R32 holds value?

rubbish theres one on carsales.com.au has been for about 1.5 years now, its still at the same price and no movement

who wants to buy it? just buy the jap spec for 20k+ less and away you go

Yes but that ADM will always be a better investment here in Aus (you just need the right buyer), the car has history and limited delivery, you can get JDM models for 10k now, there are 100s of the buggers to chose from , how many ADM are there for sale. If I had the money that would be the one I would get.

A mate got a 34 GTR 2 yrs ago and was saying that its lost 25% of its value in that time, the reason is it has no history outside the tuner world.

Dont get me wrong I love the 32 and 33 for there bang for buck goodness, but ifs not a ADM R32 GTR its just a good import.

All I'm really trying to say is you can pick things that will hold or improve there value, yes there is still risk but if you research using existing trends you should be able to find something.

Q1. Does your father-in-law have a son? Nope, 2 daughters, I married the younger one

if not...

Q2. Do you have a good relationship with your father-in-law? :)Yep, for some reason he likes me, he got me my NIStune, consult cable and paid for the software too all for my bday 2 years ago

Q3. do you have a son? Nope, no kids here
Yes but that ADM will always be a better investment here in Aus (you just need the right buyer) You could say that with any car. Hell I could list a JDM 32 for 45k if I wanted and "wait for the right buyer"

Dont get me wrong I love the 32 and 33 for there bang for buck goodness, but ifs not a ADM R32 GTR its just a good import.

And what about the 32 VSpecII?? Racing pedigree much???

All I'm really trying to say is you can pick things that will hold or improve there value, yes there is still risk but if you research using existing trends you should be able to find something.

There is no way that back in 1975 anyone buying the GTHO Phase 3 was thinking, yeah awesome, I pay $5000 for this now but I'll keep it for 40 years and I'll be rich!!! You try and pick a car made this year in Australia that is reasonable money, say $50K that in 40 years is going ot be worth $5,000,000. It's impossible!

OK, using these trends, would you be able to give me an example of a limited edition car, on sale now, that you would hand over your own hard-earned cash for, on the expectation that it will be a good investment in the future? I am not challenging your claims, I am genuinely interested.

The sold-out W427, the most exclusive and expensive HSV, is being sold secondhand online for the same price as RRP, not more. I doubt that's going to change in ten, twenty, thirty years time. The normal SS will probably have 500 kw by then :)

There is no way that back in 1975 anyone buying the GTHO Phase 3 was thinking, yeah awesome, I pay $5000 for this now but I'll keep it for 40 years and I'll be rich!!! You try and pick a car made this year in Australia that is reasonable money, say $50K that in 40 years is going ot be worth $5,000,000. It's impossible!

My sentiments exactly

I do see where your coming from Phatboy, you buy a car cause your going to drive it...

And I'd do the same...Personally if i really wanted a tough old falcon I would build one for less than a tenth of the cost ..

Im actually currently working on a 77monaro repilca. with rebuilt 308 new dual exhaust new radiator some other bits n pieces roadworthy and purchase price it barely owes me 4k...all I need is some fresh paint and i have a car almost as good as one that rolled out the factory 30year ago..But is it original...Unfortunately not!!..For this reason i might stick a Big Block init...Brand new 454 crate engine with starter and alternator ready to run with 400hp is 6500$ :)

It may not drive as sweet as my 33 but it gets a hell of alot more attention

cars172-1.jpg

So I can still understand why it is worth so much, and why many are prepared to pay it...

1. As with any car..BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

2. You should respect your elders.... ;)

Edited by Arthur T3

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/

Have a look at the cars that are making money, its CLASSIC NOT PLASTIC.

What do the smart rich people collect, they don't stay rich by buying things that lose money (generally).

If I wasn't using my car as a part time thrasher I wouldn't even have it, Its a cheap throw away toy.

To me this is what this thread is about, quality 40yr old goodness which sells for 1/2 a Million Vs new cheap bang for buck which wont last another 20 yrs.

cars172-1.jpg

Sweet, GO BB, you going auto on it, a 2 speed Power Glide all stalled up would be heaven.

Also some B F Goodrich Radial TAs would look sweet on those rims

Its got BF goodrich fattehs on the back...already :)

And has a T400 box so a BB bolts straight in... I bought 2.5 inch dual exhaust and they told me it was to big for a 308, so i figured id fix that with a bigger engine.. ;)

Its got BF goodrich fattehs on the back...already :)

And has a T400 box so a BB bolts straight in... I bought 2.5 inch dual exhaust and they told me it was to big for a 308, so i figured id fix that with a bigger engine.. ;)

You need to turn them inside out so you can see the white lettering goodness.

I like your attitude, Bloke "that exhaust is to big mate", You "no worries, Ill get a bigger motor"

Maybe i'm in select group of of people and you guys might disagree, but a lot of those old vintage million dollar cars that are so expensive and rare that you don't dare show them the light of day just don't appeal that much to me.

I mean I love cars because I love working on them, I love driving them and I love having things to do with them (obviously there is a limit to doing these things but you know what I mean). To me they are fun and are literally part of my life. Without this obsession with cars I would be a completely different person and my life choices would be completely different.

To me owning a car worth a million dollars that I keep the way it is from factory and never drive it to keep 600km on the dash and keep it locked away in a plastic bubble just aint me. Fair enough it might be worth double the money in 10 years time but so what? I would rather have 10 cars worth $100,000 that I can modify, drive, thrash and enjoy.

I think this is what brings me back to my original point about the GTHO just doing nothing for me. Yep its a valuable car and I understand that, but it is so valuable that I couldn't have fun in it (not my cup of tea of a car anyway but that aint the point im making). I would much rather a F430 or a Murcielago for the money (giving these cars as an example due to the $500,000 value). Yep they won't have the same value one day, yep they don't have the history something like the GTHO does, yep it won't get me approved by the die hard Ford/Vintage car owners, but would I care? Not one bit. Because I could be sitting on limiter in every gear hanging the tail out sideways of the Fezz or Lambo and getting thrown in jail for doing 300km/h down the back of a side street while the GTHO sat in my garage in a plastic igloo and a 2" thick steel wall surrounding it.

Edited by PM-R33

Maybe i'm in select group of of people and you guys might disagree, but a lot of those old vintage million dollar cars that are so expensive and rare that you don't dare show them the light of day just don't appeal that much to me.

I mean I love cars because I love working on them, I love driving them and I love having things to do with them (obviously there is a limit to doing these things but you know what I mean).

Similar...

I'd rather paint Lisa Mona than to look at Mona Lisa. :)

Dont get me wrong,

I agree with both of the above....But i can understand why some filthty rich bastard or true enthusiast would buy one....

And as stated if you have half a mil to spend on a 40yr old falcon you probably already have 2 ferraris called saturday and sunday,and a GTR for bush bashing anyway...

My point is for me to pay a lot of money for such an old car, it would have to be a great old car. To me the GTHO just looks like a normal old model Falcon sedan and if I didn't know their history and racing heritage, I probably wouldn't think it to be anything special.

That's one of the funniest things I think I've ever heard....today.

In its day the Phase III was as quick, or quicker, than the big dollar "Supercars" around at the time ie, Lambos and Fezzas. A 450hp 351, 4 speed Toploader and Detroit 9 inch. 6 second 0-100 and 14 second quarters which were, in its day, mind numbingly fast, especially in a bloody 4 door family car. On top of that it could do 500 miles around one of the worlds greatest race tracks under racing conditions and win.

Imagine a BA Falcon able to run down a F430 or Gallardo straight from the factory. That's what we are talking about here.

That thing is worth every bit of it's asking price. A cars value isn't simply related to it's ability. If it is for you then why are you driving a Skyline? There are faster cars available for the same or less money so why do you not have one of those?

And how wroooooooooooong you would be.

I got done for Dangerous Driving back in 1997. The Magistrate let me off on what's called a Section 556a but on the condition I went to a driver education course for one night a week for six weeks. Each week we would have a different person come in a talk to us about some different topic. ie, one guy in a wheelchair came and spoke to us about how he crashed when pissed one night which gave him permanent brain damage and killed two girls.

On the last week a guy from the NRMA came in. After the session I was having a chat with him. He was a real car nut. He had a Bolwell Nagari among other things. More interesting than the Bolwell was a story he told me a story about a mate of his who works in the NRMAs speciality insurance arm. His mate had been contacted by an old bloke who had a pretty special car that he wanted insured. The old bloke was really cagey but after a half a dozen phone calls he eventually got to the point. He had a car that he wanted insured and was now comfortable enough with the insurance guy to take him and show it to him.

So the old bloke picked up the insurance guy and drove him out to a shed in the middle on no where (somewhere in Northern NSW). Inside the shed was a Phase III with 12 miles on the clock.

I've heard a couple of other stories over the years that makes me believe this to be true. I remember rumours of Ford offering some guy a couple of million for a special car he had just before their 50th birthday. They wouldn't say which car and were apparently knocked back. This guy doesn't want/need the cash but wants to pass the car onto his son or something.

So I say you are wrong. There are many people out there with the foresight to do things like this.

I know my Dad tried his hardest to hang onto his 105e Anglia that he used to race back in the 60s. Unfortunately money go the better of him and he had to sell but he knew it was rare and would be worth a bit one day. He was right.

^^ That doesn't make me wrong, So did the old guy say he bought it as an investment? Did he own it from brand new? if he did own it from new then maybe he didn't have enough money to drive it hence the 12 miles, either that or he lived in a small town and didn't need to drive anywhere. Regardless this in no way confirms the fact that back in 1975 or whatever, this guy bought that car solely for the purpose of it going to be worth 100 times it's purchase price.

Basically it's just a story of some guy that you don't know telling a story of one of his mates that met some other guy... see where this is going...