SAU Community

Boo Boo Help!

butch

hey fellas

after recently starting the car. i was made aware that there was oil getting into the water pump. after following the rb30dohc zip file with balls to the wall . the only thing i can think of is that the head would need to be re tensioned . now i f**ked up before but when it came to fitting an external vct . so the head had to come off again . but there was no damage to the gasket. and the engine never turning prior i felt it was safe. so anyone with conclusion to my issue.

Head : rb25de with vct

bottom end : holden vl rb-30 series 2

waterpump and oil pump n1:

head gasket : acl multilayer

Just to clarify.. theres oil in your coolant??? is there any coolant in your oil?

this might be a stupid suggestion as its clearly indicated what to do in the guide.. but was the vct hole sealed up in the head.. as well as welding in additional material around the water return hole to provide additional sealing area... also are you using a rb30 gasket??

ive heard of people re-using copper gaskets after heating them up with a oxy.. im not sure about the multilayered metal ones.. mine looked like it had crush rings so i would imagine once its been torqued down it may not reseal a second time..

Jarrod

whats the possibly that the headgasket isnt positioned properley and its leaking past the gallery on the head and going into the waterpump . would it be as simple as re torqing the head ?? but adding 5lbs more on final talk ??

probably very slim if you used 2 locating dowels at either end of the block/head... theres very little free play left in the head gasket once they are sitting in the block...

Did you make sure the little metal rivets in the multilayer gasket cleared the head and block.. i had to dremel small amounts out of my head to allow them to clear so that the head gasket to be clamped down properly.

Im not a mechanic.. you might be better off getting an opinion from someone else.. but i wouldn't advise you to over torque your bolts, because once they pass their elastic limit they lose their clamping ability.

you might just have to pull it apart to work out whats going on then re-do it all and make sure you do it properly... new headbolts if your using standard bolts, new head gasket, check that all the rivits are clearing.. check that theirs enough sealing area around ALL the water and oil galleries on both the head and the block by using the rb30 gasket.. and re-check to see if the head or block is level or requires decking.

Jarrod

You can reuse head gaskets no worries. Just a light coat of hylomar on each side and whack it back down, obviously after its been cleaned first. Done this trick many times with no problems.

As said, did you block the vct oil feed in the head. If not there is your problem

oil feed and welded vct done by tweakit in monavale

did you get to the bottom of the problem?

no i haven't . dunno man. lot of love in this car. just keep hittin U turns

• 4 weeks later...