SAU Community

What Do You Recommend As The Next Step For My Car?

Hi all,

I have a S2 R33 GTS-T manual. Its done 89,000ks and and so far I have done the following:

- Full service (inc. plat plugs, timing belt, engine/box/diff oil, fuel filter etc etc)

- Put the std airbox back in with a BMC filter and a custom made scoop to direct air into the snorkle

- 3 Inch bell mouth style dump/front pipe

- Car already had an Xforce cat and a stainless 3 inch jap system (its too quiet though, i think the rear muffler might be a bit restrictive, its huge!)

- R34 SMIC with all the ducting (i used this cooler to keep up the responsiveness as im after 0-100 mroe than 1/4mile)

Now next I want to flush and bleed the clutch and brakes and change the wheels from stock, I want something with wider tyres as well

Now my bench mark car is my mates BF XR6 Turbo Series 2 (typhoon engine basically) with the 6 speed auto. The thing is a bullet.

i am not looking to build a quarter mile car, the thing is a daily and I want it all legal but I would like to be able to bust his XR6T.

What would you recommend I do next without spending huge dollars? the car runs really well atm and is really economical so I dont want to upset that either.

I was thinking boost controller? or doing the earthing mod to get 7psi all the time? what do people recommend? will this upset the tune and send it into R&R from where I am?

any thoughts would be great

First of all can you launch hard now? If you cant launch now then more power is only going to make your launch worse.

If you cant launch:

Then start launching, if you cant get traction as R31Nismoid said get some better tyres and look at suspension stuff.

If you can launch but need more power:

Find out what boost you are running. I was running 8-9psi with a full exhaust and no boost controller. Make sure you get to 9-10psi.

Then get a tune. That will get you 180-190rwkw.

Edited by Harey

Before doing anything engine wise id recommend doing a fuel pump, you never really know the condition of the standard, running lean never good. Up to you tho, you have low k's. Up the boost to 10 - 12psi, however factory 33 ecu's have a point when too much boost triggers the last timing column in the ecu and pulls back timing something cronic so be sure you stay under that. You'll feel it. Use a decent boost controller , ball n spring types are normally decent enough. Could always chuck it on a dyno with a knock block and a/f's n adjust ya crank angle sensor timing till just before you get detonation, thatll give ya some more.

yeah wheels and tyres are my next mod. I can launch the thing but it struggles with traction if I take off any harder than using about 2500rpm. So that is definately next.

It running std boost at the moment. I was thinking of doing the earth mod to get 7-8 all the way through but will this upset the computer tune? i dont want it to run badly.

Longer term I want to so something with the turbo and a proper tune but I have spent too much on it recently so I have to pace myself :/

yeah wheels and tyres are my next mod. I can launch the thing but it struggles with traction if I take off any harder than using about 2500rpm. So that is definately next.

It running std boost at the moment. I was thinking of doing the earth mod to get 7-8 all the way through but will this upset the computer tune? i dont want it to run badly.

Longer term I want to so something with the turbo and a proper tune but I have spent too much on it recently so I have to pace myself :/

You definitely need more traction then! Need better tyres.

Find out what boost you are running now. With a full exhaust even standard boost is higher.

FMIC! r34 smic is shit especially if your going to be upping the boost. Get the boost set at 12psi, NGk coppers at 0.8mm, tune and tyres. Stock suspension is good for launches :/

Still wont beat a xr6T though.

to be around mid to high 4 seconds mark youll need

clutch

intake

exhaust

tune

fmic

tyres

suspension work

good launch control

with those mods i had 192rwkw and was able to get 4.8 0 to 100km/h which is pretty quick

the whole 0 to 100 comes down to launch, if you cant launch, dont even bother

so much time is lost in recovering a botched launch

if you dont know how to launch, less RPM is better than more, ie 1200rpm launch is ideal if you have no idea vs 2500rpm

its all about clutch controll and getting it on as quick as possible

top out 2nd, dont bother changing into 3rd

FMIC! r34 smic is shit especially if your going to be upping the boost. Get the boost set at 12psi, NGk coppers at 0.8mm, tune and tyres. Stock suspension is good for launches :miner:

Still wont beat a xr6T though.

Stock XR6T runs what 5.1 sec 0-100 time. Why cant a well launched skyline with 190rwkw match that?

Stock XR6T runs what 5.1 sec 0-100 time. Why cant a well launched skyline with 190rwkw match that?

it would, if not better it. But its from 100 to whatever that a xr6t would munch a stock turbo skyline :miner: thats what i meant.

I tried launching my car in second the other night - 5k fairly quick clutch gave me a second of wheelspin then it BOGGED down bigtime - never gonna work with a 3076 i don't think...

theres your problem. no clutch slippage. you cant just expect it to grip and go without wheel spin or bogging. abuse that thing like a red headed step child. :miner:

theres your problem. no clutch slippage. you cant just expect it to grip and go without wheel spin or bogging. abuse that thing like a red headed step child. :miner:

It's hard with a brand new extreme HD clutch...! Such a small grip point it's almost on or off til it wears a bit...

it would, if not better it. But its from 100 to whatever that a xr6t would munch a stock turbo skyline :D thats what i meant.

No arguments there. But us skyline drivers are more sensible drivers arent we so dont need to worry about that... :miner: