SAU Community

Mobile Speed Cameras

butch

If you need to speed up just to over take someone or you are teaching a L plate and they push accelerate instead of brake and they were speeding it would cause more chaos I believe. Come on if I get a speeding ticket because I was 10 over the limit to over take now that is stupid.

I agree... in some situations, it's safer to accelerate than to brake. If a semi-trailer was up your ass and the traffic lights turn yellow. Should I??? -- Speed up and risk a $$dolla dolla fine or brake and get rear ended and crushed? Honestly? Come on...

It's like the people in charge of dreaming up these rules are rich mofos that have never driven in real life everyday traffic conditions because they're too busy sipping champange in the back seat of their chauffeur driven limos.

I reckon these things should come with video footage of the person speeding so to analyse the situation and not just by the persons speed alone.

I agree... in some situations, it's safer to accelerate than to brake. If a semi-trailer was up your ass and the traffic lights turn yellow. Should I??? -- Speed up and risk a $$dolla dolla fine or brake and get rear ended and crushed? Honestly? Come on...

It's like the people in charge of dreaming up these rules are rich mofos that have never driven in real life everyday traffic conditions because they're too busy sipping champange in the back seat of their chauffeur driven limos.

I reckon these things should come with video footage of the person speeding so to analyse the situation and not just by the persons speed alone.

On red light cameras you could order a photo (at your cost, of course) and if it showed a reason that you 'had' to continue through the red light then there was a chance you could get off. You're right about having a truck up your clacker though, i'll be going through in that situation.

What is the rule though, you're supposed to 'stop on an amber unless its not safe to do so' isn't it?

If these cameras save lives then that is a good thing. I'd just like to see some stats on exactly how many more cars(bikes, scooters motor cycles) are on the road than the year previous and exactly how many fatalities there are?

If these cameras mean that more police are able to do their job, fining even more people because a robot is doing the boring jobs, then hey i'm all for it!!!!! :whoops:

post-68383-1278072047_thumb.jpg

Refer to my graph. Deaths will continue at the usual rate. Fines will rise. People will not slow down. The RTA will get lazy at enforcing this. The fines will drop. Nothing related to death has changed. Why? People still don't slow down. Speed cameras don't save lives, driver training and vehicle control will play the big difference.

Notice how most fatalities are P platers? THE INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS? Cameras aren't going to help if the driver cant control their car.

Shit rule. Pointless and stupid. Too many times Ive had to hit it 10km over the limit to get the f**king truck out of my ass.

Yep matty - stop at orange unless it's unsafe to do so. going through a red at any time is illegal though.

Why do you need to accelerate? If you have no choice but to carry on through the intersection then go through it at normal speed. Trying to beat the red just adds speed into the mix and makes it more dangerous.

If a semi is that far up your ass that he can't stop for an orange light then he's coming through the intersection after you and that will all be captured on camera, so I'm sure you would not get fined in that situation.

NSW is broke and they need money its that simple......

+1 - More moneh to waste on purchasing more cameras to create even more revenue.

I'm all for a stronger police presence over cameras anyday as cameras can't determine everything that's going on in every situation.

On a side note, I recognise some of the streets in the tv ad, I'm pritty sure they were filmed in bowral and bundanoon.

It doesn't say in the report thing if they are bi directional, do you think they will only get traffic going one way?

I'm jumping the topic here.. but;

Will the program be covert?

No, the cameras will not be hidden, however, their locations will be less predictable than fixed speed cameras. Drivers are reminded they should not exceed the speed limit regardless of the presence of enforcement.

Only thing that annoys me here is I saw a check point with no signage and a police officer watching for on-coming speeders. He had a radio in-hand and was radioing up to the checkpoint whenever a fast driver approached. They were hidden behind trees on a blunt bend, but they were well covered until you come around a tree and bam, you're caught.

I just think they're focusing on the wrong types of drivers. Their anti-speeding campaigns would see much more desirable results if they targeted the dangerous demographic and not the general public. Of couse, I can't determine the dangerous demographic without much thought, and I'm not about to start thinking hard now.

Also, there's a simple fix to this.

Go do your crazy driving in isolated areas or on a track, and stop doing it in the middle of traffic like a retard.

Edited by SKITTLES

post-68383-1278072047_thumb.jpg

Refer to my graph. Deaths will continue at the usual rate. Fines will rise. People will not slow down. The RTA will get lazy at enforcing this. The fines will drop. Nothing related to death has changed. Why? People still don't slow down. Speed cameras don't save lives, driver training and vehicle control will play the big difference.

Notice how most fatalities are P platers? THE INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS? Cameras aren't going to help if the driver cant control their car.

Shit rule. Pointless and stupid. Too many times Ive had to hit it 10km over the limit to get the f**king truck out of my ass.

P-Platers aren't the worst drivers, you know. The worst drivers I've seen have been in their elderly years, the "EXPERIENCED DRIVERS".

I've also had cops ride my ass like a pair of retarded f**ks, and then pulled me over for dropping my speed down by 20kmh just to annoy them. I've seen a cop do an illegal u-turn and sped down a road that constantly has intoxicated people walking home down it, just so he could pull the P-plater with a Skyline over.

There was an elderly man in his mid 60s driving a BMW once. He was swerving here, there and everywhere.

There was an elderly couple in an Accent driving so slow that they gave drivers the shits and people dangerously overotook them. They caused a massive disruption to traffic.

And I personally find that the biggest assholes on the roads are between 26 and 40, or asian, or indian, or both. I'm not being discriminatory there either, that is an honest observation.

Asians speed up to block me in. They also refuse to leave room for me to merge when my blinker is on.

Indians are in a similar category, but in saying that, there are some great indian drivers I've been compatible with on the road (as in, I haven't raged driving behind them).

25-40 year olds, usually with massive SUVs, like to speed up and prevent you from getting in front of them. They also like to cut you off on a merge, when you're trying to get over before your lane ends and there's a concrete barrier coming up, and they're trying to prevent you from merging.

But I agree, we as P-Platers need more instruction, but most importantly we need more realistic instruction. Instead of this "by-the-book" shit that's shoveled down I throat, making us want to be hoons, I got taught the realistic way to drive. You just need to relax when you drive and keep an eye on what other people do.

Just.. yeah... I hate my demographic. It's because of a bunch of f**king wankers with no brains that I couldn't buy my beloved GTR now instead of later.

I'm going to stop ranting now.. I could go for hours.

And I personally find that the biggest assholes on the roads are between 26 and 40, or asian, or indian, or both. I'm not being discriminatory there either, that is an honest observation.

No, not at all. :)

I believe we should all be able to detect these via gps just like we can with stationary cameras. its pretty scammy regardless.

Anyone who seds they never speed or has never sped is in denial anyway. (everyone does "marginally!!@times!!@times.)

Edited by SideOn

i was speaking to my tafe teacher about this and he has the original article at home . regarding the first mobile speed cameras in nsw. a man was booked by a mobile camera. and received a letter in the mail. he further requested a photograph as evidence and when that letter arrived 2 weeks later the wife opened it to find another lady in the passenger seat . :0 ... events unfolded and a divorce was settled . the gentlemen then made claim to supreme court of appeals and ruled an action against the rta of nsw, funnily enough he won and claimed damages. he started a class action and petition reguarding mobile cameras and the nsw motoring body voted against them. and they were removed. tell you what if some politician has the balls to stand up against mobile cameras ill be voting them . i'd rather have a better police presence than a camera

If they realy had the road toll in mind there would be a red light camera on every intersection and a speed camera on every road that way there would be no excuse we all would know where they were not like some hidden at the bottom of a hill behind trees etc..

On another note the fine for running a yellow light is the same for running a red, a yellow is a warning to stop unless unsafe to do so...

i was speaking to my tafe teacher about this and he has the original article at home . regarding the first mobile speed cameras in nsw. a man was booked by a mobile camera. and received a letter in the mail. he further requested a photograph as evidence and when that letter arrived 2 weeks later the wife opened it to find another lady in the passenger seat . :0 ... events unfolded and a divorce was settled . the gentlemen then made claim to supreme court of appeals and ruled an action against the rta of nsw, funnily enough he won and claimed damages. he started a class action and petition reguarding mobile cameras and the nsw motoring body voted against them. and they were removed. tell you what if some politician has the balls to stand up against mobile cameras ill be voting them . i'd rather have a better police presence than a camera

That is hilarious!!!!

Have any of you guys passed one of the ones in Canberra? Cause I tell you what, you can nearly see the f**kers from space!

If you can get caught by a mobile speed camera, then you're probably one of the morons who also misses 3x warning signs and then bitches like a little girl.

I couldn't give a shit really, all they're using them for is to replace the police man hiding behind the bush with a radar gun. I've only been nailed by one of these once (And it was when I was on holidays and missed a speed zone change and he was hiding just inside the zone change). For these vans to work, they HAVE to visible from a distance as the radar is apart of the van, and so is the camera once you go past. So much easier to spot then the copper behind the bush (Which 95% of the time I've never had a hard time seeing!)

Honestly, everyone hear is having a huge cry about nothing.

Also, the story about the guy getting done with a missus and the caught case following, that was actually from a fixed speed camera which took photos of the front number plates and they forced the RTA to blur out peoples faces in the photos now.

The old mobile speed cameras were used for YEARS, and they only stopped using them around 2-3 years ago (I know, because a work mate of mine lost his licence from the same mobile camera being in the same spot all the time and he was too stupid to realise "Oh, big white car on the footpath where there are no houses or business I'll keep speeding")

So for those of you who have had your licences for 10+ years, did you ever get caught by mobile speed cameras for the first 7 of them? If No, then you have nothing to worry about now.

Oh, and I never used to be an angel on the road, until I got down to 1 point remaining, and by god, now I am because my licence means so much to me!

I believe we should all be able to detect these via gps just like we can with stationary cameras. its pretty scammy regardless.

Anyone who seds they never speed or has never sped is in denial anyway. (everyone does "marginally!!@times!!@times.)

Are you also one of the people that drive around with an illegal radar detector? Because if you are, then you're just admitting to being an intentional speeder that just doesn't want to get caught.