SAU Community

The Car Always Going To A Side When Hands Not On The Wheel?

ryan_perth

my housemate's r34 got a problem cause the car not going straight when hands off, it's going to the left.

he brought the car with this problem since 2 years ago.

he changed all new tyres and suspensions, and did a 4 wheels alignment recently, but the problem still don't go away.

the car should not been crashed and don't have any damage on the body.

anyone has any idea what's causing this problem and how to get rid of it?

cheers,

ryan

I had a problem with this when i first got my car also until i took it to my mate to align it...

the issue will be the car is aligned straight so the road camber will be throwing it to the left, what you need is some one that knows what their doing to put a slight toe-in on the front left wheel to make it drive straight.

+1 ^

Wait Brad is leaving!? :)

To the OP, could be any number of problems, my mates R32 had the wheels aligned twice by two different places, turns out it needs a camber arm kit. My car used to do it, found the front left tyre was 3psi flatter than the rest of the tyres, pumped it up and problem fixed. Although it still does it on the freeway which leads me to believe it is the camber of the road causing it.

Do you have a previous wheel alignment print out??

If you do, get it in your hand and give me a call as there is some info on it im curious about.

(WA Suspensions 9444 0500)

Also, castor rod bushes...have they been changed or are they still standard hydraulic ones?

Camber of the road can and will affect it aswell. No one will ever make the car drive dead straight as our roads are cambered....but it can be made 'better'.

What tyres are on the car? is it a known 'decent' brand? (Bridgestone, dunlop, sumitomo, etc etc) or a cheap china brand like LingLong, Wanli, Triangle?

Just becuase there is no damage to the body does not mean the car has not gone over a kerb at a fair speed. Just for shits and giggles, measure the wheel base left and right (centre of rim to centre of rim)....whats th difference in measurement? 5-10mm can make a differnce.

Roads have camber ? :)

Yerp, very important factor in road design.

Taken from http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/initiati...rovements.html:

"The camber or tilt of a road can greatly influence a car’s ability to travel safely through a curve. A poor road camber increases the risks of vehicles running off the road. The road’s camber will be improved at locations where it is associated with a high number of fatality or serious injury crashes."

*EDIT* Also what Brad said about water drainage etc.

Edited by Hanaldo

thanks everyone.

the tyre pressures is good, and they are continental, so shouldn't because of the tyres i think.

i know the road got camber, but even it drive on a really flat surface that every car can go straight, it just can't. :)

he did a 4 wheels alignment 3 weeks ago at WESTATE AUTOBAHN in Newcastle Street, Perth.

we droped the car there and 3 hours later they call my friend siad the car is ready to pick up and it is all good. they didn't point out any thing at all...and the car still going to the left...

castor rod bushes haven't been changed. they can be contributed to this problem as well?

cheers,

ryan

I took my car to Peddars when I first got it for an alignment and 28 point safety inspection, they got all freaked out and flustered working on an import, told me my whole rear suspension setup was f**ked, would need to replace the whole thing, they quoted me $5000 ffs.

Took it to WA Suspension for a second opinion, Brad called me back after about an hour and said it's really not that bad, there was some slight play in the rear sub-frame bushes that could be fixed with some pineapple bushes. Got the work done, ended up costing me about $560 all up.

Seriously, take it somewhere where they know what they are doing (read: WA Suspension).

+1 for WA suspenders.

Had them knock up an alignment for Teh Fury yesterday, and was forced to stop twice on the way to home so I could get out and roll naked across the bonnet. I dont think the chick at the drive through coffee place will ever serve me again though :P

Hmm, turns out that there wasn't enough castor on the left front wheel so we chucked in some castor bushes and she is all sweet, $200 later problem is solved :) if anyone else is having a similar issue feel free to give us a call :(

Dale i got to drive Teh Fury back from Allans CV's, man it was terrible to drive, pulled left like a bitch, all good now though?