SAU Community

Air Bags And Glasses

R34P3R

hey guys

what happens if you have a accident and the airbags deploy when you have glasses on? has anyone here experienced it? my friend disabled his in his s15 because he said it would F*** him up if it happened

i wear glasses everywhere so should i disable mine aswell if what he says is true?

hey guys

what happens if you have a accident and the airbags deploy when you have glasses on? has anyone here experienced it? my friend disabled his in his s15 because he said it would F*** him up if it happened

i wear glasses everywhere so should i disable mine aswell if what he says is true?

if i wore glasses i'd remove it...im glad my 33 never came with an airbag...hate the fckin things

Unless you've got glasses smaller than your eye socket, I wouldn't worry about the airbag forcing them into your eyes making you blind....besides the glass is in a frame, and its too flat, up against an air bag that probably won't be stiff enough to smash it anyway (in a bad crash, you'll hit the bag before its at full pressure, in a low speed crash, you likely won't even hit the bag at all).

Air bags in steering wheels were made to protect people that do not wear a seat belt, more injury's are caused by airbags that go off in low speed impacts that would not have caused injury, curtain air bags and the seat ones in the newer high end cars are good from what Ive read.

I think its crazy that I'm not allowed to use a 4/5/6 point harness in my car even though they are standard features in some high end sports cars.

My glasses are frameless, they are also made of polycarbonate (because they're frameless and they have to drill through the lens). Fork out for some decent glasses :(

Air bags in steering wheels were made to protect people that do not wear a seat belt, more injury's are caused by airbags that go off in low speed impacts that would not have caused injury, curtain air bags and the seat ones in the newer high end cars are good from what Ive read.

I think its crazy that I'm not allowed to use a 4/5/6 point harness in my car even though they are standard features in some high end sports cars.

Erm .. ... not quite! Air bags were introduced as a further improvement after changes to steering wheels and steering columns. All of these were needed because in a crash, the head is thrown forward and the seatbelt stretches. The face then impacts the steering wheel. A guy I knew back in the UK was a Crano-Facial Surgeon. He was always doing face reconstructions, including inserting plastic eye-sockets, because people were hitting their faces on steering wheels.

As for the harness, I understand that the reasoning behind this restriction on road cars in Australia is something to do with the lack of movement to car controls that the inertia reel allows. But that may be total bolleaux, so don't take my word for it!

To those of you who do not like air bags, just look at the statistics from crash tests and actual crashes. A few bruises in a low speed crash are a small price to pay for avoiding plastic eye-sockets. They are one of the most important safety features in any car. I am amazed how intelligent people can get hold of some aspect of such a clearly effective safety feature and declare their dislike for it!

As for the wearing of specs, the pressure on the face from the air bag is spread out so the pressure on spectacles or sun-glasses would not be sufficient to cause significant injury. Bruise, yes. Eye injury, no.

Cheers. :ninja:

Wrt a harness. If your car didn't come out with one fitted then it wouldn't have passed adr safety testing with one fitted. With a standard type seat that is designed to work in conjunction with an inertia belt if you fit a harness that doesn't have any give at all it will snap the seat in half in an accident. I wonder what that would do to your back? :ninja:

I would also hazard a guess that disabling a steering wheel mounted airbag is illegal? I know you can do it for passenger bags.

I'm with MLCrisis here, it's a safety device with pros that far outweighs the cons.

^ +1

I really do think it's kinda scary that people who probably have little idea of how safety features are actually designed, will just start meddling with them willy nilly. I feel kinda jipped that my skyline didn't come with airbags! Removing them seems to me to be about the same level as saying "If I'm going around a corner REALLY fast, and I slam on the brakes, my front wheels will lock/skid and I won't be able to steer, so I decided to take them off".

I seriously can't imagine the people who designed airbags forgetting to accommodate people who wear glasses. Just leave 'em in dude. Or ultimately, don't crash =]

what i got told with the harnesses is that they might be adr approved but doesnt mean you can wear them on the streets, reason being most people wear their harness but they dont wear them tight enough, so they can reach their stereo, ac ect. so if you were in a accident and you jolt forward your body is just going to slam into the harness instead of actually keeping your seat still.

I was told it was because the average Joe Blow wouldnt know how to take it off you if you were in an accident and was knocked out and needed someone to pull you out in a hurry. Say, if there was a fire or something.

Sunny, leave it in mate. Stupid question to ask, they're there for a good reason!

My car didn't came with any safety devices besides the good old seat belts :(

I would like it to have ABS & traction control as the traction in the wet is horrible, need to drive extra slow otherwise the rear wheels will break traction.

But on the other hand I don't see the point in traction control in my dad's Corolla, the engine is so low on torque you can't lose traction even if you floor it while the road is wet... only time it may lose traction is if you were driving super retarded in the rain or someone poured oil on the road.

I would like it to have ABS & traction control as the traction in the wet is horrible, need to drive extra slow otherwise the rear wheels will break traction.

Get some decent tyres.

Yeah sorry Rhys, I forgot the "don't drive like a dickhead in the wet" part :(

That being said.. 2WD in the wagon in the wet is quite amusing :(

Edited by bubba

I was last week in my s2 skyline and ended up in a car accident car. The car was totaled, pretty much i doubt its going to hit your glasses because the airbag is most likely going to hit your chest. But at the time the crash happened it happened in such a fast manner that you don't feel it only after would you might feel it, as most likely your going to have chest pains and whiplash from the seat belt. So you shouldn't worry about the airbags hitting your glasses while driving, plus the airbags when they do hit you they don't hurt much, i didn't even feel it when it hit me.

Edited by nickperth

Find attached a picture of the vehicle I was in.... I was wearing sunnies at the time.

Airbag blew them clean off, actually saved my eyes from the shards of glass.

But they are fine to wear with airbags in the car.

post-9747-1280552720_thumb.jpg

post-9747-1280552739_thumb.jpg

post-9747-1280552757_thumb.jpg

post-9747-1280552768_thumb.jpg

i have been biting my tongue this whole time because i've regarded this thread as stupid

taking your airbag off is STUPID. you are NOT vehicular safety engineers. do not Fk with these things. they're there for a reason. and they're designed with the visually impaired in mind

if you're that worried about it - why don't you just drive without glasses? that way you can still have your airbag on and not have to worry about crashing!

(that was sarcasm)

EDIT: i think that mike's post sorta drives home that crashing a car is NO laughing matter. it's not upto you what safety features you remove from your car. you should BE so lucky to have them installed!

Edited by Mr Eps