SAU Community

Defect Inspection Tomorrow

hey have my second defect inspection tomorrow not sure if i will pass,

not too long ago purchased a 5" HKS hi power catback exhaust system for a series 2 R33 gts-25t went straight in un restricted and @ 3,300 rpm it read at 97db but on the side i was only revving it roughly at 3k had a 1-2mm peice of sheet metal with a 30mm hole or so drilled into it so it can restrict the flow... now the exhaust seems a bit loud and it has to be 90db at 3,300rpm any ideas on a quick silence fix i been told to chuck a piece of chicken wire inside?

any ideas much appreciated :)

unfortunately not =[ dont know anyone with a import or a silencer to fit the huge exhaust the restrictor has quietened it down a bit but i dont think enough need a kinda quick fix as its booked in for 3:30 tomorrow any other ideas sorry for the trouble...

cheers chris

unfortunately that's not another option, purchased the car with a aftermarket exhaust which was sold some time ago and looking for a quick fix... is there something i might be able to insert into the muffler or something along the lines?

you can try creating a small black hole in the tip of your exhaust Im fairly sure I remember reading that nothing escapes a black hole not even sound....

Other than that, no, not on this short notice...

get a steel plate like you have. instead of drilling one 30mm hole drill a few little holes to restrict it heaps. then when ya done take it out :nyaanyaa:

make them about 4mm or 5mm holes and dont do too many, but do enough so it doenst stuff ya enigine

Edited by Nackerz

get a steel plate like you have. instead of drilling one 30mm hole drill a few little holes to restrict it heaps. then when ya done take it out :nyaanyaa:

make them about 4mm or 5mm holes and dont do too many, but do enough so it doenst stuff ya enigine

going to get it done now thankyou soo much

just got back and car is soo much quieter thankyou soo much i asked the guy when he put the old restictor in to do that but he did the 30mm hole instead :/

If you're restricting the exhaust big time with chicken wire etc, baby the car when you drive it like this. Like really take it easy, then remove it ASAP after inspection.

No worries. and yes baby it man, dont thrash it or the engine will go boom! and as soon as you get it inspected take your car straight home and rip it out!

A heap of rolled up chicken wire does the job, not just sitting there lol

The steel plate doesnt just sit there. You make it the same size and shape as the flange on the rear of the cat. Drill your holes through it where it bolts together, and drill some holes through it where the exhaust gasses can flow through :D

not having a go at you, just saying thats how its done.

The steel plate doesnt just sit there. You make it the same size and shape as the flange on the rear of the cat. Drill your holes through it where it bolts together, and drill some holes through it where the exhaust gasses can flow through :)

not having a go at you, just saying thats how its done.

Oh nah sorry mate, I was replying to Security, not contradicting you again :D your idea should be spot on too