SAU Community

V35 Series Questions

Hi there. New to the forum and also to skylines.

Used to own an S15 with the usual mods to around 190rwkw, then sold the car got a Renault Koleos (yeh don't laugh), bought a house..... and now looking at getting a rwd car that may not necessarily be as quick as the S15 in a straight line but have a bit of class and rarity with more than the average get up and go... so thus the V35 may be a good option.

I am looking at possibly purchasing a V35 manual coupe. Have looked on typical car sites, insurance, looked into the import procedures and topics on these forums mostly to do with the mods for the audio and video side of things.

So here is the question ( I have read, and lost, somewhere on the internet that gave some answers although it may have been for the infiniti);

What are the main differences from the series 1 to the series 2 and even the series 3?

Did the Japanese version have slightly more power output in the series 2? Was the suspension slightly more refined?

- I am curious about the changes in the interior between the series with the same options eg. series 1 with the premium options compared to series 2 with the options etc...

- But more importantly I am curious whether the Japanese versions had mechanical differences?

I have tried to find the information about the differences but can't seem to find it again and I know the comparison I saw was for the 350GT and the infiniti so not sure if both received the same changes.

From memory the series 2 was manufactured from Oct 2004 with the series 3 in Oct 05. Is this correct?

Series 1

- supposedly most prone to electrical bugs (in the power windows, door locks and bose stereo)

Series 2

- updated interior (aluminium rather than plastic).

- no longer have brembo brakes available

- 18" wheels replaced with 19"

Series 3

- projector style headlights

- revised tail lights

- bluetooth phone integration??

Other people may want to add to the list.

Japanese models did not recieve any updates to the motor. I'm not sure about suspension, but haven't seen anything to suggest that there are big differences.

This is probably the nicest roll-up I've run across - FYI. Note that the Series 2 was released from Nov 2004 - so the 2005 coupe it references is the Series 2. So, while my V35 was manufactured on 23 Dec 2004, it's a Series 2.

http://www.jlimports.com.au/nissan-skyline-350gt-v35-coupe

This is probably the nicest roll-up I've run across - FYI. Note that the Series 2 was released from Nov 2004 - so the 2005 coupe it references is the Series 2. So, while my V35 was manufactured on 23 Dec 2004, it's a Series 2.

http://www.jlimports.com.au/nissan-skyline-350gt-v35-coupe

Thanks. Thats the one that I found and struggled to find it again.

But it mentions about the revision of the suspension and the revup (298hp) engine which appears to be only in the american infiniti's as xscape237 mentioned. But still not certain about the suspension revisions but it sounds like the jap ones didn't get this or no one has mentioned it.

I'm assuming the interior mods and the minor changes to the exterior for each series was for both the jap 350gt v35 and the infiniti g35??????

Edited by Pete77

Thanks. Thats the one that I found and struggled to find it again.

But it mentions about the revision of the suspension and the revup (298hp) engine which appears to be only in the american infiniti's as xscape237 mentioned. But still not certain about the suspension revisions but it sounds like the jap ones didn't get this or no one has mentioned it.

I'm assuming the interior mods and the minor changes to the exterior for each series was for both the jap 350gt v35 and the infiniti g35??????

Can't comment from knowledge. However, common-sense says that what the US got as the package for the Infinity for any year was the same as the japanese gave themselves - except that the steering wheel on the original (Japanese) was on the right side... :)

This may also help (with a bit of additional reading and research): http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/

Cheers

Edited by Stuart McK

Can't comment from knowledge. However, common-sense says that what the US got as the package for the Infinity for any year was the same as the japanese gave themselves - except that the steering wheel on the original (Japanese) was on the right side... :huh:

This may also help (with a bit of additional reading and research): http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/

Cheers

I see your point but it appears like the Infiniti is a slightly different package (excluding left hand drive part) as so far everyone seems to say that the suspension and engine didn't receive any changes in the 350GT V35..... Until someone can confirm it I'll assume that the 350GT V35 remained mechanically the same throughout production except for the brakes being upgraded to larger ones with no brembo option from series 2 onwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, im looking at getting a V35.

OP, are you going to import or just buy one here in Aust already?

The 04+ 350GT that dont have brembo brakes, are the replacements as good or better?? Cant find an answer.

Also, speaking of jl imports, anyone know how the auction works and have a English translation of the auction sheets?

Thanks very much guys :P

Edited by R6n350GT

Hey everyone, im looking at getting a V35.

OP, are you going to import or just buy one here in Aust already?

The 04+ 350GT that dont have brembo brakes, are the replacements as good or better?? Cant find an answer.

Also, speaking of jl imports, anyone know how the auction works and have a English translation of the auction sheets?

Thanks very much guys :P

Probably importing unless a bargain turns up here.

I'd imagine the later model brakes are as good or better due to the larger size. But no personal experience on this.

Yes JL Imports will translate the auction sheet but you can easily research the procedures and details by emailing them..

Probably importing unless a bargain turns up here.

I'd imagine the later model brakes are as good or better due to the larger size. But no personal experience on this.

Yes JL Imports will translate the auction sheet but you can easily research the procedures and details by emailing them..

I think "bigger" refers to the automatic model's brakes.

Only the manuals got brembos. 2003 model brakes (brembo) are better than 2004 model (non brembo).

How much extra is it worth paying to get a 2005 V35 over a 2003 V35?

Trying to decide do i get a 03 for 23-24K or spend 27-29K for 05 ... Anyone been in a similar situation and made a decision they were happy with and no regrets ?

Trying to decide do i get a 03 for 23-24K or spend 27-29K for 05 ... Anyone been in a similar situation and made a decision they were happy with and no regrets ?

Hi, this is the thought process I went through and I have had no regrets only good feedback and pride.

I was faced with the same dilemma, and my conclusion was that I wanted to get 19" Jap-spec wheels so that they held their value, and I knew I would need adjustable coilovers, because I felt stock height sat way too high..

If you fit in with this same mindset I would suggest you put aside $2500-3000+ for wheels, at least $1500 for Tyres, and $1500 for suspension + $300 for install. So give or take a bit around $6500* added to your V to get it looking what I think makes it really shine, and then decide if you still want to spend $27-$29K on a 2005 model?

Btw..*$6500 is a number that I struggled for months to come to terms with.. Especially since I live down Princes Hwy and everyday I drive past 'You know who' saying "BUY ME" - I'm the cost of one of your wheels.. but after alot of obsessive looking around, researching and asking friends opinions I knew that when it was all finally done I was very happy with the result, and I was glad I got an 03 model, because I really didnt feel comfortable spending anymore than $30K in total for what became an obsession..

My final advise is whatever you like, always get it mechanically inspected. ~$230 bucks and you get a full report from state roads detailing any resprays, likelihood of being in major accidents, de-tuning etc.. and lots of other stuff that I would give to a mechanic to look at before I decided on which car I would buy.

Good luck and hope this helped..

mechanically, i believe the s3 maybe s2 had a slightly revised plenum, no need for a spacer.

Electronically, different dash computer, head lights and tail lights, electronic pop up screen (press button goes up, press button goes down) bluetooth etc

Interior, different gear stick boot for auto's (leather covered not plastic slidy thing).

Now can anyone tell me anything about the "voice contro" button i have on my s3 steering wheel.... its screaming to be used.

Hi there! I am from NZ and had recently imported a S2 v35 coupe from Japan. Mine is actually a Nov 04, so it's a 2005 S2 model. Tbh, it's really pure luck that I got the car as it came up in the auction in which I was actually going to try to bid for a 03 model (with sun-roof). I had test drove a S1 model here only and had only seen pictures of the S2 interior (as most v35 coupe here in Auckland are S1s and I haven't really seen a S2 around).

So when i had a option to choose a S1 (with sun-roof) and a S2, in the end I decided to go for the S2 model as I think interior wise, it's probably better looking than the S1 with the aluminium center console and nicer gear stick. In the end, I found out the S2 that I got ended up much cheaper than the S1 with sun-roof (which was actually sold above my budget).

All in all, I think I am happy with my decision. When I got the car, I definitely felt that the interior looks better than the S1 with the facelift changes the car received. That being said, I am not saying the S1 interior is not nice. It looks good, but the S2 just looks better. :P

Also, from the forum here, it seems that the S2 has a lot less electrical issues than the S1.

I am really not too sure about the price difference in Oz, but based on the auction results, it would appear that the auction price for the 2 cars are fairly similar.

• 2 weeks later...
mechanically, i believe the s3 maybe s2 had a slightly revised plenum, no need for a spacer.

Electronically, different dash computer, head lights and tail lights, electronic pop up screen (press button goes up, press button goes down) bluetooth etc

Interior, different gear stick boot for auto's (leather covered not plastic slidy thing).

Now can anyone tell me anything about the "voice contro" button i have on my s3 steering wheel.... its screaming to be used.

I have the same issue !!

please let me know if you find out.

I will also let u know

-Paul-

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, just got a quick question.

Would anyone know if a Nissan logo on stock V35 coupe front grill be interchangeable directly with an Infiniti logo from stock G35 coupe front grill, and vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Victor.T