SAU Community

To Neo Or Not Too Neo?

So after a long time rolling around in my head over what engine should live its life between the strut towers of my R32 I've been pushed towards a RB25DET. Now just trying to decide between the Neo version or the 'normal' 25.

Only really looking towards 250rwkw of reliable power.

Was in the same dilemma a couple of months ago. Ended up getting a neo because it's newer, more power and less emissions and plus I found one for cheap. Also may depend on how much money you're willing to spend. If you're on a strict budget maybe go the r33 rb25 as NEO's cost a bit more to buy and apparently a bit more to replace or buy parts for. Up to you in the end..

Let us know what you decide

my vote is busted rb25det normal and you rebuild it before it goes into your car

you get a new engine already setup for the power you want and you can be sure its reliable

and it will be in better condition than a 2nd hand NEO and probably come out cheaper

ie busted RB25DET normal + rebuild < 2nd hand working RB25DET NEO

Safe every day use and power figures are a must. Dont want something the the shed more than on the road. Hell the current RB20DET is powering on like an RB should without a single problemin 2 years. And its had its fair share of flogging to boot.

But all the engine swap ideas came from Mercury Motorsport convincing me building a RB20 to the same kind of power levels I would like is even more of a money pit than normal.

Pretty keen on taking the advice of a shop with a 960+hp R34 GTR sitting out the front (NITTO) and a completely gutted R35 wearing a fresh Carbon front bar.

On a side note...who guts an R35, I was nearly in tears and I dont even like them that much.

details please ellaborate :/

well the neo makes more power from factory so u dnt need to modify it as much to make round the 250 mark (more mods = more money and more stress on the engine) the neo engine runs solid lifters, gtr rods, larger ports, bigger turbo, variable valve timing, u can also fit a live board to the ecu so remaping is a breeze u only have to plug the laptop in, not re chip it.

and neo engines arent really that much dearer than 33 rb25s

dnt get me wrong the r33 rb25s are a awesome engine id just prefer the neo

+1 for neo, i've owned r33 S1 and r34 and the neo is heaps better. parts are a little bit more expensive but not by much. my car has FMIC, splitfire coilpacks, apexi pod, PFC, high-flowed turbo, exhaust and made 246kw