SAU Community

Hid's In A R32

niran

Hey everyone

one of my friend's are doing a group by for some HID's and i was thinking maybe of buying a kit as my headlights aren’t very bright. I have projector style headlights and before any one says go buy some better headlights bulbs, I’m at the moment using Philips crystal visions.

I’ve searched through the forums and on the net and most people say that if you have projectors it’s alright but if you have reflector style then its illegal as the light gets scattered all over the place, but then ive also read that HID’s are illegal regardless of the style if the car itself was never designed for HID’s

The Hid kit if i was going to buy was going to have a temp colour of 6000k.

so what i wanted to know was is this illegal in r32’s that use projectors and secondly how many people with r32's use HID's and how did you rate them.

Thanks guys, ni

technically not legal, but i have them in mine and it's much better for projectors than the normal globes.. visibility is much improved from my point of view, and on top of that i have had other say that they used to struggle to see my car coming at night, but now it's much safer.

driven passed many police cars with them on and haven't been pulled over (touch wood)

HID are illegal if you car doesnt have self leveling and washer sprayer for the headlights.

Not in WA. So many incorrect rumors about this. I actually emailed the WAPOL to ask them about this (can probably find the reply email I got from them if need be), and they said it is not actually illegal it is just recommended that you have projectors, self levelers and the washer sprayer. You do not need them for HID's to be legal, at least not in WA.

Sure enough I got yellow stickered shortly after installing them (not for the HID's, for something completely unrelated), and the inspector at the pits checked them out but said they were legal and they passed straight over.

I have them in mine, had them installed with the projectors lights and they worked great, a lot better than standard bulbs. I now have the square N1 headlights but am yet to see how the HIDs work as the car is off the road

technically not legal, but i have them in mine and it's much better for projectors than the normal globes.. visibility is much improved from my point of view, and on top of that i have had other say that they used to struggle to see my car coming at night, but now it's much safer.

driven passed many police cars with them on and haven't been pulled over (touch wood)

Hey man

thats what i was also thinking, as you would also know our headlights are shocking! i agree that Hid's would let people see our cars better, ive had a few people pull out at intersections as they couldn’t see my lights in the distance.. thanks for the info dude

Not in WA. So many incorrect rumors about this. I actually emailed the WAPOL to ask them about this (can probably find the reply email I got from them if need be), and they said it is not actually illegal it is just recommended that you have projectors, self levelers and the washer sprayer. You do not need them for HID's to be legal, at least not in WA.

Sure enough I got yellow stickered shortly after installing them (not for the HID's, for something completely unrelated), and the inspector at the pits checked them out but said they were legal and they passed straight over.

oh serious!!! that’s great!, thanks so much for clearing this up with me :).. no need for the email haha

shouldn’t be to much of a problem seeing as i wanted to get 6000k ones and also have projectors

I have them in mine, had them installed with the projectors lights and they worked great, a lot better than standard bulbs. I now have the square N1 headlights but am yet to see how the HIDs work as the car is off the road

Haha sweet, i shall put through the order for my hid's tonight :) .. good luck with the N1 headlights dude

Hey man

thats what i was also thinking, as you would also know our headlights are shocking! i agree that Hid's would let people see our cars better, ive had a few people pull out at intersections as they couldn't see my lights in the distance.. thanks for the info dude

oh serious!!! that's great!, thanks so much for clearing this up with me :D .. no need for the email haha

shouldn't be to much of a problem seeing as i wanted to get 6000k ones and also have projectors

I have 6000k low beams, my high beams are 12000k :)

My god...the internets has the truth! Valuable post Martin cheers

HID are illegal if you car doesnt have self leveling and washer sprayer for the headlights.

Yes, that is correct, HID headlights are illegal unless they are in self-levelling projector headlamps. Washer sprayer's are not necessary.

However, in saying that, i have 6000K HID's in my R34 (no projectors) and i have never been bothered by the police for it. The HID's provide a lot more light, and because you have projectors in your R32, the light from the HID globe will be dispered evenly on the road in front of you, and not scattered around everywhere.

Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps. Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering. Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provision of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.

and

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

this is not a WA thing :

For vehicles manufactured up until July 1989, the application of the ADRs is the responsibility of the state and territory governments. Vehicle users should consult with their state or territory transport authority for the Second and Third Edition ADRs that apply to these vehicles.

For vehicles manufactured after July 1989, the application of the ADRs is the responsibility of the Australian Government under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.

there seems to have been a recent splurt of "knowledge transfer" among the inspectors and they are failing HID lighting again more than before

Addition to above,

Head lamps in motor vehicles in WA are required to comply with all ADRs, HID kits fitted to STD head lamps do not comply with ADR 77 and ADR 78.

The Australian Design Rules require full testing of these systems; this includes the light source being tested with the reflector as a unit.

Fitting of a light source (HID globe) into a lens that has been fitted and tested with a halogen globe cannot be approved unless it can be demonstrated the headlamp unit has been tested and complies with all of the relevant Australian Design Rules for Gas discharge light sources.

In other words "THEY ARE NOT LEGAL IN WA", if fitted you can be defected no matter what some copper who knows nothing about the ADR's says.

Dammit i was wrong about the headlamp washers >.< haha

Yes, they are illagal Niran, so if you put them in and get yellow stickered for them, tough coooooooooooookies

Hey guys

thanks for all your input :P

i ended up ordering a kit last night.. i will install them and see how bright they stand out alot...but as many of you have said because the r32 has projectors the light shouldn’t scatter around and cause to much of a dilemma..

+1

know this first-hand as a pit inspector failed a friends car a few months ago for having a 6000k kit fitted

sucks i know..

how long ago was that? really depends on how harsh/leniant of an inspector they are i guess but i wouldnt try my luck, paying a re-inspection fee just coz of 2 globes is a waste of time and money