SAU Community

Aem Wideband Sensor Installing

install it in the place of the original narrow band sensor if you are using it with a narrow band emulator to your ECU

or you can install it inline with your normal narrow band sensor, but it needs an exhaust bung and thread like your normal 02 sensor. an exhaust shop can do this for you

install it in the place of the original narrow band sensor if you are using it with a narrow band emulator to your ECU

or you can install it inline with your normal narrow band sensor, but it needs an exhaust bung and thread like your normal 02 sensor. an exhaust shop can do this for you

can you explain the first part there, should i install it in the original 02 sensor place? the exahaust bung is the thing that the sond should screwed in to right? i have one of thoose that came with the package...

Not ideal but have you got a de cat?

The wide band sensor can be put in place of the temp sensor, not so much f**king around tbh and the stock one can be left in place or

I think you can run without stock o2 sensor while you set up on road then re place after if you want up to you I'm sure the o2 sensor has no use at wot it's only for low rpm and you can run without it anyway

Not ideal but have you got a de cat?

The wide band sensor can be put in place of the temp sensor, not so much f**king around tbh and the stock one can be left in place or

I think you can run without stock o2 sensor while you set up on road then re place after if you want up to you I'm sure the o2 sensor has no use at wot it's only for low rpm and you can run without it anyway

Yes i have a de cat, so i can just take out the stock o2 sensor and plug in the uego sensor instead and it will work anyways, then maybe set the stock sensor back when ever i want?

Yeah just un plug it and see what happens I no at least three people that run without them.

But

I no many more that have a much much better fuel return if they replace this servicable item

okey i will test this just as a test to see and then weld the bung some other day, can i weld the bung in the decat? or is that to far away?

Just a quick question while on the subject about widebands. I understand the reasoning about most widebands needing to be about 1m away from the exhaust housing, however have people ran one in the stock position without problems, or do you all run them furthur away to prevent them getting so much heat into them?

Edited by PM-R33

It's important to mention that when you hook up the wide band you will not be sending any data to the ecu ( even if you were I doubt it can understand what is being sent as it's wide band)

All you will be doing is reading the AFR on a gauge

Just a quick question while on the subject about widebands. I understand the reasoning about most widebands neading to be about 1m away from the exhaust housing, however have people ran one in the stock position without problems, or do you all run them furthur away to prevent them getting so much heat into them?

as long as it's not got a egt sensor I no people that have litrally just shoved the wb as far up the exhaust as they could and clip the end to the outside like they do on a dyno run not advisable but temp fix if your impatiant.

I don't see why there would be any problems if it were in the de cat tbh.

But hay Im no mechanic

well the stock o2 sensor wont come of so that idea wont work :S and welding the bung to the exhaust is a problem because i have a stainless exhaust and no mig to weld stainless :S god damn it, any ideas how i can get the stock o2 sensor to come off?

Did you not get a manual with your wideband???

If you are going to leave it in permanently AEM recommends 36" from the exit of the turbo, as the closer you get to the turbo the sensor life is reduced due to heat, and never run it installed without power to it.

Also u need to retain your oem narrow band sensor as you are still using the stock ecu along with the safc otherwise fuel economy will be terrible

Did you not get a manual with your wideband???

If you are going to leave it in permanently AEM recommends 36" from the exit of the turbo, as the closer you get to the turbo the sensor life is reduced due to heat, and never run it installed without power to it.

Also u need to retain your oem narrow band sensor as you are still using the stock ecu along with the safc otherwise fuel economy will be terrible

yeah i kinda understood that to, i was just gonna put it in the oem place just for the tuning part then change back, but now i will have to find somebody that can weld in stainless and put it thoose 36" from the turbo.

Any good place that i can get the harness into the car??

U can pass it through the hole where the cat sensor wire passes but you have to bend the sheet metal a little bit to get through that big ass connector it comes with.....slit the rubber grommet to get the wire through straighten back the metal and fit back the rubber in place

You'll have to remove the passenger seat also to make it easier :(

U can pass it through the hole where the cat sensor wire passes but you have to bend the sheet metal a little bit to get through that big ass connector it comes with.....slit the rubber grommet to get the wire through straighten back the metal and fit back the rubber in place

You'll have to remove the passenger seat also to make it easier :(

thanks alot! i will do that :(

hi

to clear up a few things. you MUST consult the install manual for the wideband sensor, don't just install it and hope for the best.

wideband 02 sensors are very sensitive and can fail easily and are costly if you break them for stupid reasons.

i recommend you read the install documenation as they have very specific mounting instructions.

ie dont mount them upside down, after the turbo outlet is OK, the closer is generally better etc

if you remove the factory 02 sensor and put a wideband 02 sensor in the same bung

then depending if your 02 sensor has a controller box, these sometimes have a narrow band 1v output

you should then run this to your ECU so that you get working normal closed loop feedback and get normal economy

with an poorly tuned cruise AF/R setup and a wideband sensor and the stocker unplugged your economy will be ordinary

because when you are on closed loop / light cruise the ECU has no narrowband input so it cant trim accordingly

so the recommended way is use a wideband with its own AFR guage, a narrowband conrtoller 1v output to the ECU you are using

So Paul are you saying it is ok to run a wideband in the factory location, so close to the turbine outlet even though it states to be around 1m away? (Talking about hooking up a Techedge 02 up to a Vipec here).

Yeah it says something along the lines of widebands should be 40" (1m) away from the last exhaust valve or the turbine of the turbocharger due to heat. Something like a 1000 degree limit.