SAU Community

Buying R33 Non Turbo Advice

hey guys im just looking at buying a r33 na 96 model, not the gts4 either, just curious are there any weak points in the car i should be looking at as the importer is letting me put it on a hoist to inspect, also any body know if top secret imports blacktown is a good importer. Another question how would the stock do against some hondas e.g. integra vti-r and what are the best mods to do to the car without major changes e.g. engine .

thanks,

ive got an N/A gts4, more then happy with it for being on my p's. Dont really know what they would go like up against a hondas ect, but i couldn't really care either, For me its a nice ride that has enough power and handling to let me enjoy it.

I haven't bothered spending money on mine power wise, Bought some good tryes and got a good alarm installed + insurance ect. I dont really see it being worth it doing any engine upgrades now.

Change your oil and filters regularly and don't thrash it with out maintaining it.

I have a 96 R33 manual with the Rb25 and it's ok. It rides nicely and has just enough power but don't expect it to be fast. You will lose to most Vtech honda's such as b16a civic and integra not to mention type-R. Minor power gains can be made from a good air filter (expensive panel filter) or boxed pod, with extractors + exhaust. My advice would be to wrap some good tyres on it and keep it maintained until you are off your restricted plate and can afford something faster if that's what you want.

The Rb25 has been the slowest car i have owned but then again i'm no 'P' plater (we can drive whatever we want in NZ, even on our restricted license - which is your P plate).

One thing to look for when viewing your R33, listen for gearbox/clutch/bearing noises at idle when you engage/disengage the clutch. If you can hear audible noises such as rattling or scraping something could be on it's way out. Obviously look for any oil/water leaks from underneath and make sure the bodywork is all straight under there (no damaged chassis)

• 3 weeks later...
hey guys im just looking at buying a r33 na 96 model, not the gts4 either, just curious are there any weak points in the car i should be looking at as the importer is letting me put it on a hoist to inspect, also any body know if top secret imports blacktown is a good importer. Another question how would the stock do against some hondas e.g. integra vti-r and what are the best mods to do to the car without major changes e.g. engine .

thanks,

Definetly check for cracks in bushes and joints. Owned a r33 for a year and half, only realy complaint ive got about them is the stock exhaust whcih makes a really annoying raspy rattling noise at around 3000rpm.

thanks,

will get beaten by a lot of hondas, commodores, falcons, etc. some it will be close, others won't

I have a 96 R33 manual with the Rb25 and it's ok. It rides nicely and has just enough power but don't expect it to be fast. You will lose to most Vtech honda's such as b16a civic and integra not to mention type-R. Minor power gains can be made from a good air filter (expensive panel filter) or boxed pod, with extractors + exhaust. My advice would be to wrap some good tyres on it and keep it maintained until you are off your restricted plate and can afford something faster if that's what you want.

The Rb25 has been the slowest car i have owned but then again i'm no 'P' plater (we can drive whatever we want in NZ, even on our restricted license - which is your P plate).

One thing to look for when viewing your R33, listen for gearbox/clutch/bearing noises at idle when you engage/disengage the clutch. If you can hear audible noises such as rattling or scraping something could be on it's way out. Obviously look for any oil/water leaks from underneath and make sure the bodywork is all straight under there (no damaged chassis)

often this is simply a bearing and isn't overly expensive to change, or really something major to put you off buying the car as often the bearing will still last for a long time. it can be a good way to get the price of the car dropped though.

lol another vs honda thing xD..........stock NA skyline is a nugget. Sorry to say ;) but if you whack on a full zorst, good intake and a light remap from perhaps a safc or something similar, it will start going sumwere lol been there and done that when my gts4 was n/a heheh. Did a 14.6 in wen it was na.

thanks,

don't do it!!

well, that said, get a supra if NA.

• 2 months later...