SAU Community

Exemption For Driving A Skyline Nsw Rta

jawrgy

Hey,

Just writing here to ask for advice on filling out an exemption form for driving a prohibited vehicle. Before i call the RTA and get put on hold for 30 mins i wanted to see what people who may have had experience filling out and having either success or failure and what your grounds of exemption were.

1)Did you get the exemption. Why or why not

2)What do i need to do with the Justice of Peace or the Solicitor there is no section for them to fill out

3)In section H i am applying for exceptional circumstances but there is no box for that option

4)How long does the process take till i find out the result. How do they contact me over the phone or mail?

Here is a link if you want to see the form - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstat...ds/45071143.pdf

I hear there's an exemption that takes about 3 years to get, you also have to do a few tests too

^ Lol

with the RTA, I believe that you have to show a 'just cause' for the prohibited vehicle before they will give you an exemption, that is, unless your vehicle is on the mild performance list (I think they call it) like the Audi A4 or Merc C200 kompressor.

But I'd imagine with a skyline, unless it was necessary for your work or you'd owned it from before July 1st, 2005 and could prove it. You might have a hard time?

Having said that, my friend applied for a exemption to drive his parents Kompressor, as far as I can remember, it took about 2 weeks before he heard back from them.

possible acceptances for exemption for what i have heard are:

if you parents bought the car pre date of law coming in and you would have to sell to buy another car

if it is the family car and there is no other car for you to drive

if you are a mechanic and work in a high performance workshop and need to drive customer cars that are turbo

all exeptions have there own personal rules, mate of mine is only allowed to drive them in business hours and too and from work (see above italics)

as always though it depends on the individual and there needs, i wouldnt advise on just bluffing an exemption form because not only would it be a waste of your time but other peoples time as well.

fine for driving a high peformance car on your ps and getting caught is 7 points (automatic loss of licence for a p plater) and a $400 odd dollare fine - not worth it

be smart drive a run around until you can legally drive one and it will save you hassles in the long run, plus be cheaper on fuel too :geek:

you get an automatic exemption if you own ur own business.. say you need to drive ur car for 'image reasons' and say go register a free ABN online. tell them you advertise imports etc etc..

Are those Victorian rules or NSW ones?

you get an automatic exemption if you own ur own business.. say you need to drive ur car for 'image reasons' and say go register a free ABN online. tell them you advertise imports etc etc..

I think they'd look into how long the ABN has been operating. If you've got an established business and it's to do with imports you might get away with it; if you've had an ABN for 2 weeks, they'll probably go "yeah, ok, no".

Basically the only way you'll get an exemption is if you TRULY need it. If you don't, just drive an N/A, wait your time, save your cash, and the day you get your full licence, go looking for a nice turbo.

Will be posting my letter with my exemption here just after i get a Justice of Peace to verify everything. Ill post the letter online after the results and what i wrote to get the exemption. Its over 1000 words so hopefully i have enough legit reasons to get the exemption.

1. Automatic Exemption

The Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009, automatically exempt a probationary driver, from the probationary prohibited vehicle restrictions, who is driving the vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at his or her employer’s request or is self employed and an Australian Business Number (ABN) is in force in relation to the person's business. No exemption document is required from VicRoads in these circumstances. However, the onus is on the driver to provide evidence to the police if requested.

A person is not permitted to drive the vehicle at any time for social reasons or reasons unrelated to work. In these cases the onus is upon the driver to provide evidence to the police that his or her driving is work connected.

A member of the police force who is the holder of a probationary car licence and the holder of an approved Driver Certificate Endorsement for a vehicle of that class is authorised to drive a probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of duty. No exemption document is required from VicRoads.

from the RTA:

An exemption may be granted to a:

-person who can demonstrate that an exemption is required for employment purposes,

-country driver who requires the use of eight or more cylinder Four Wheel Drive (4WD V8) vehicles if there is no practical alternatives

-person who can prove they owned the prohibited vehicle prior to 11 July 2005 or before an interstate/overseas licence transfer (attach proof of acquisition). Note, only a provisional who has never held a NSW licence before his/her licence transfer can apply for this exemption

-person who can demonstrate any other exceptional circumstance, (attach any information necessary to support your exemption request).

Note: NSW provisional licences issued prior to 11 July 2005 were not conditioned. However, the condition will be applied if the provisional driver is disqualified for an offence committed on or after 11 July 2005. In these instances, the provisional holder may be granted an exemption if they can prove direct ownership of their current vehicle at the time of the offence that led to the disqualification (attach proof of acquisition).

An exemption from the prohibited vehicle condition will not be granted simply on the basis that the only vehicle available in a household is a prohibited vehicle.

If your application is for employment purposes, you must attach a statement on a business letterhead signed by your employer supporting your application.

The statutory declaration must be completed by the registered operator(s) of the nominated vehicle(s).

so basically: if it's for work, work has to sign it

if your parent's don't have a car that's not a restricted one, stiff shit (didn't know that, the moar you know by reading guise)

if you live in the country and you only have a turbodiesel 4by, then it's ok

hmmmm, tbh i can't really think of "exceptional circumstance", because i doubt the rta would be cool enough to go along with "i'm a sex addict and the skyline gets all the wimmin moist"

hmmmm, tbh i can't really think of "exceptional circumstance", because i doubt the rta would be cool enough to go along with "i'm a sex addict and the skyline gets all the wimmin moist"

Lol :D Seriously - I dont think anyone here is going to say its a great idea to get exemption to drive a turbo mate. Buy a non turbo and dont kill yourself or one of us on the road :whistling: