SAU Community

Automotive Courses?

Jonno34

Hey everyone

Im 16 years old now, and just finishing high school, im really interested in learning to be able to service and modify cars, im thinking like performance mods, audio, and just normal servicing etc .. the whole thing, i'd loveee to be able to do up my car myself and so on

I'm not too sure where to get started though, I was thinking of doing a course maybe at tafe or something after high school (was googling them just then, and found this .. http://www.cengage.edu.au/technical-trade-.../auto-mechanics)

But that looks like it'd be a bit too long ..

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks so much, any help would be great

I'd say do an automotive apprenticeship first mate, gotta have the basics first ie know how your internal combustion engines, suspension, braking, auto elect systems work before you go modifying them

Cheers Nick

yeahh thats what im after, definitely need to do some kind of course to learn all about it first

just not too sure where to go for that kinda thing? like most of the courses ive seen online take about 2 years ...

how long would an apprenticeship take?

:P thats a bit long ...

I think ill be looking at a traineeship or a tafe course

Btw for anybody interested, tafe runs a 5 week course that looks really good, im definitely gonna do it

http://www.polytechnic.wa.edu.au/short_cou...searchoptions=1

the one on car maintenance .. looks really interesting :)

Are you looking to learn as a way of forging a career? Or just to kickstart a hobby?

If you want to make a living out of it, then an apprenticeship or traineeship is the only way to go. Start your research here

http://www.trainingwa.wa.gov.au/apprentice.../detcms/portal/

If its just a hobby thing, then the tafe course you linked to would be an excellent way to start. Also, star looking into joining an active car club. Offering your services to an enthusiast or events club would be surrounding yourself with like minded individuals, and helping them out (with events stuff, flag marshalling and the like) and you will soon find yourself flooded with more information about cars and stuff than you will know what to do with.

hey guys thanks for all the replies,

nah not looking to make a career out of it, just a hobby

I was thinkin of takin a year off after school to do a traineeship or a tafe course

Rooster what did you mean by an events club etc? sorry just not too sure about these things

Rooster what did you mean by an events club etc? sorry just not too sure about these things

I think he meant clubs like AFARCC (All Fours and Rotary Car Club), WASCC (WA Sporting Car Club) etc, which run alot of motorsport events. You can become a flag marshal, scruitineer etc. Check out CAMS (www.cams.com.au) on how to participate.

• 7 months later...

hey guys sorry to revive this thread again

just wondering .. is there a skyline manual or something like that?

Most cars have the "gregorys" manual and such ..

Just wanting to learn more about my car and how it works/how to maintain it etc and thought something like that would be nice to have!

Only thing i found is the owners guide from pitstop

tafe is the way to go to get some basic knowledge about how cars actually work

ive been doing a tvet coarse through school and it has really tought me alot

i found it very rewarding and its abit of fun

even though we only pulled apart a corolla motor haha

Honestly matey it's best to just browse these forums :)

Just... Don't go into NA section...

People have been known not to return.

thats because of a angry moderator :domokun:

hey troy,

What course at tafe dya reckon is good?

I was looking at traineeships .. their very specific? I'd like to have more general knowledge etc i think as I just dont have the time to do all the different traineeships to learn about everything!

Hahah, I was thinking of buying some unlicensed car for a few hundred bucks to try and pull apart/fix up etc to have a bit of a learning experience ...

You might as well just work on your own car and do DIYs. If not you can do a light vehicle pre apprentice for basic knowledge of cars and servicing. I suggest you don't go through with an apprenticeship if you just want to do it as a hobby. Would be a waste of 3.5years with such stressful conditions for not much pay. =)

Hey vincent, I would love to work on my own car, but tbh i dont know crap!

all ive done with my car is just basic oil/oil filter changes and air filter ... taken apart the dash/centre panel to spray the panels/change the lights inside to blue .. and that would be about the extent of my knowledge with cars :(

Yeah, id love to do the apprenticeship but I don't have 3.5 years, im currently in uni for 4.5 already in my double degree!

Its a shame cos i have a ton of love for cars but I dont know anything and Im not too sure how to go about learning :(