SAU Community

M35 Consult Iii/obd Ii Cable And Software?

Vesza

I have an old aver travelmate I bought from eBay for $35 which I put XP on. Was a pain going back from Vista. The secret was to the long partition format during XP install as vista has a hidden partition the stops XP installing/rebooting properly. Might save you the hours it took me to work it out. :)

This is exactly what a computer savvy mate of mine was telling me recently.

• Like 1

as i own a patrol soon to be stagea the guys over at patrol4x4 are working reverse engineering a consult 2 to allow you to modify ecu signals and view all the sensors and what the engine is doing on an lcd screen and there is also talk of making an android app for said process. now i know this is not a stagea as they have their own set of weird laws in how the ecu talks however, the 2001 zd30di patrol uses an obd2 port but operates consult software.. they have a working prototype could possibly use same thing on stagea also to note they are talking about auto vehicles aswell

Really informative link, thanks a lot!

So my cheap obd2 plug should work as is, need to find out that hex code to initiate the connection to the ECU, and write something up with the consult libs to read all the sensors.

Besides that HEX code, should be fairly straight forward hopefully! Too bad they don't share their code :P

That link has information to get me started : http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/images_ms/Consult_Protocol_&_Commands_Issue_6.pdf

Will try tonight to get a connection to the ECU, supposing my bluetooth OBD adaptor is not faulty (paid 5$ delivered for it so chances are it's useless, will try it on my mate's Holden too to verify that)

OBD2 adaptor is hopeless, getting a new one asap. Also starting writing something based on what I could find online but no way to test it yet sadly. (https://github.com/valferon/stageaobd2 for the curious ones)

Hey valf, thanks for the private msg. I have sent a pic of the BT dongle I am using which works fine.

You have stirred my interest up again in this project. Last thing I was doing was determining the comms protocal and doing strace dumps of the serial comms to see what the initi command was that NDSII was using. I should share one of my directories with you with a whole heap of info I have collected. Some might be useful and some maybe not. I believe our cars use KWP2000.

Also here is a cool project someone did using Kodi (XBMC) on a raspberry PI in his car. cool stuff http://nikrooz.co.uk/raspberry-pi-car-puter/

@Stripey, good call about getting a USB one for dev, gonna use my laptop anyway so that makes it easier. I've read through the patrol thread and what they did is very impressive. Even saw that they can change ecu maps from their LCD screen which is really awesome! Wonder if they fried anything to get there (would rather not to personally)

Only took 15 years lol.. i like how they are able to control touque converter lokckup automatically and a few other little things that require use of resistors and cutting wires. Once i get my m35 i will start looking into it posibility for brake cut mod completely automatic without getting into factory loom chances are it might not work but it does look promising

K so to summarize:

1) consult 3 genuine (or) copy from aliexpress roughly $160+ is the only thing that works on nm35's?

2) Torque app and the bluetooth dongle thing wont work (unless he sorts out the protocol etc? or is it a pinout issue?)

3) this is all for minor tweaks and best option is aftermarket ecu/ emanage piggyback.

There is plenty of generic obd readers/scan tools that also work. From what I've found the function tests and adjustments are hit and miss on these. To be honest the consult is a pain to use and only really good for reading codes and clearing them. Additional functions and data monitoring are unstable at best.

Better off buying at decent scan tool that will also do non Nissan.

Edited by BoostdR

There is plenty of generic obd readers/scan tools that also work. From what I've found the function tests and adjustments are hit and miss on these. To be honest the consult is a pain to use and only really good for reading codes and clearing them. Additional functions and data monitoring are unstable at best.

Better off buying at decent scan tool that will also do non Nissan.

Feel like sharing these plenty? As far as everyone else knows there is only one which is the hks oblink.

Feel like sharing these plenty? As far as everyone else knows there is only one which is the hks oblink.

actually every japan mod company has there own OBD2 info meter for M35.

currently i am using Blitz r-vit color for OBD2 info reading

post-137368-0-36594900-1443165236_thumb.jpg

and a second hand HKS OB-LINK is on the way from Japan

and and i just bidded another Greddy infometer touch with surprise price yesterday midnight

post-137368-0-53605000-1443165350_thumb.jpg

...and and and my consult3 is shipped over DHL.....

i think you could play with my consult3 after i read my bloody hicas error code.... i hate hicas!!

Edited by YangLIU
  • Like 1

Hopefully I can make something similar for my tablet/head unit for free :) still didn't receive the bloody USB adapter ...

Actually different ecu reader gives different info. From my experience, I like greddy infometer best because it could read injector usage percent.

found this one today which lists M35 VQ25DET as compatible. Might download the demo this afternoon and try it out with my ELM 327 Bluetooth to my Quad core Kitkat 4.4 deck.

http://www.hobdrive.com

It lists a working profile for the M35 VQ25DET... I wonder if I can borrow the init string from that profile to get torque up and running....hmmmn

Matt

Edited by BoostdR
  • Like 1