SAU Community

All You Young P Plater Skyline Owners..

Who payed for your Skyline?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hey all,

just our of curiousity, all you young p plater skyline owners;

who payed for your car? and insurance? repairs?

parents or your own hard earned cash? :P

Looking at buying a skyline in the near future, but insurance is so expensive..

p.s sorry if it's the wrong forum (thought p platers = N/A) :O

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Insurance is a killer! After searching lots of places only Just Car insured my car.

Once they insurers hears u say" Nissan Skyline" they seem to not like that name. haha and say " Sorry , we don't cover that particular model"

They only thing you can depend on for cheap insurance is high excess to reduce your premium and drive carefully and sensibly:)

Hope that helps

^ same as Mohsen worked and still working my ass off : P I pay full comp insurance monthly bought the car myself, parents weren't to keen at first that i was buying an import (mantenance, insurance costs etc...) but after seeing the car they didn't say anything because it was just that awesome hahah =D

Edited by DarkRyda

worked my ass off and bought mine, will insure when i get my p's

Don't wait.

Insure it now - 3rd party minimum - just a few hundred $$$ a year - all it takes is for you to smash something worth 1000s of $$$ - the last thing you will think about is your car.

I recommend you at least have 3rd party fire and theft - as skylines in general are hot items.

Getting basic insurance early will add to your rating :whistling:

I paid for mine+my insurance. Go for the cheapest, most basic insurance you can afford to buy (by afford, I mean able to pay the excesses/consequences if shit happens). Full comp is a waste unless you plan on writing your car off IMO

Knock on wood mate! You never know...

Bought the R34 with cash and a small short loan just to get some good credit rating... Also got Full comp insurance with Just cars! Lowered the yearly payments by uping the excess... (best way for the worse case scenario)...

I bought my 34 on my L's and had it insured straight away... Almost 1 1/2 now...

I paid for mine+my insurance. Go for the cheapest, most basic insurance you can afford to buy (by afford, I mean able to pay the excesses/consequences if shit happens). Full comp is a waste unless you plan on writing your car off IMO

What do you do if someone wipes the car out while its on the nature strip, or there is a fire in the garage?

...see what Im getting at?

After searching lots of places only Just Car insured my car.

Really? Is it a special import or something? I just did an online quote with NRMA and got a quote for a whopping $1,285.02. Then I checked JustCar and woah, $507. Why the huge price difference?! :P (For both I quoted a 1998 Skyline R34 GT)

Also, have you or anyone made a claim with JustCar? Don't wanna be under a false sense of security.. :P

What do you do if someone wipes the car out while its on the nature strip, or there is a fire in the garage?

...see what Im getting at?

I guess that's the risk you take for having a lower premium..lol

On a side note, does anyone remember that Blue Skyline R34 on the JustCar ad a while ago? That car was SEXY. ;)

Not a N/A :) but here goes anyway...

I'm now off my Ps but I did buy the car 1 week after I got my Ps.

Initial purchase was a shared payment... (ok so I only chipped in like ~$2k while my parents paid the other $8k)...

I pay for all the other stuff like insurance, fuel, maintenance, mods... etc etc

I only got basic 3rd party (~$300) for the 1st year then went to full comp after that (~$2000), currently my insurance cost is ~$1100 (with adjustment to excess).

Also I know a bunch of people whos parent's refused to let them buy a turbo car while they are on their Ps but mine couldn't really care less, my mum have no idea what a turbo is & my dad for a period of time thought the turbo was there primarily as a fuel efficiency tool... also they are a strong believer of "it doesn't matter what car you drive, a stupid moron will crash regardless whether they are driving a super car or a Hyundai Excel"

i just got a r34 this year aswell, i got a full comp, and got it crashed aswell, and now it has problems. i would suggest to get this car if you got a job,otherwise don't bother. youth allowance wont cut it. it is very costly to have a jdm car on your p-plates.

i just got a r34 this year aswell, i got a full comp, and got it crashed aswell, and now it has problems. i would suggest to get this car if you got a job,otherwise don't bother. youth allowance wont cut it. it is very costly to have a jdm car on your p-plates.

^ Some wise words right there.

Nothing wrong with a JDM car - so long as you can genuinely afford it - having "just enough" money for these cars is not a good idea.

I got my R34 when I was into my 3rd year of full time work (I got my Ps on the last year of uni) - Didn't need an R34 - but I thought it would be a nice treat for working hard :) - I'm rather content with driving around in my 1983 Bluebird.

Full comp is a waste unless you plan on writing your car off IMO

Are you stupid by choice or by nature?

I usually plan on whether i will be writing my car off or not.. Also what would you do if some idiot decides to hit you writing your car off and cannot afford to pay?

^ Some wise words right there.

Nothing wrong with a JDM car - so long as you can genuinely afford it - having "just enough" money for these cars is not a good idea.

Yeah I know some P Platers that had money to just buy a R34...

They dont have insurance, run on bald tyres, dont even service the car...

Some even buy turbo model because it is cheaper then a non turbo n then do dodgys with insurance and still manage to get away with it... Until there is an investigation...

That why at night when im cruising Im always at the back of the pack...

Genius at work lol.

I'm off my Ps now but I had a 33 GTST on my P's and traded up to the GTR about a year before I got off them. Savings + Loan for the car and I paid all my insurance/rego/maintenance etc myself. Had an accident in the GTST, hit a kangaroo, and ended up paying 3k for excess with Just Car :S. Expensive cars to insure and maintain but it's worth it I think.

EDIT: I got my license before new laws so I was allowed a turbo car. Just incase there is some confusion lol.

Edited by Beelzebub89

Are you stupid by choice or by nature?

I usually plan on whether i will be writing my car off or not.. Also what would you do if some idiot decides to hit you writing your car off and cannot afford to pay?

Haha, theres always going to be little "what ifs", thats just a fact of life and no amount of insurance can guarantee anyone complete certainty. What if a meteor lands on and explodes your face while you are peacefully sleeping in your bed tonight, or you get killed in the accident where some idiot writes off your car and also cannot afford to pay for your car? Anywho, my point was that the chances of such "what ifs" like your car being destroyed or catching fire happening is fairly small if you drive with half a brain. Atleast alot smaller than 1 in every 5 years like P plater insurance would have you believe, costing about $2k per year for a p plater with a $10k skyline if not a little more (insurance companies have alot of overhead costs, profits to mae and executive bonuses to pay) so it makes sense to get the most basic insurance you can afford.

PS: If some idiot writes off my dirty old 33 and they have no insurance I would hopefully take them to court and get a piece of their centrelink payments for the next 15 years, but if not, I can afford to pay and buy a new skyline of equal value (infact I could afford to write this next skyline off and still have just enough to buy a third one). I figure why spend all that money insuring for something that probably won't happen, but even if it does happen won't even be that bad? No one absolutely NEEDS to have a skyline, specially on their p plates, if we have/had them then it should be paid purely with your disposeable income, if it isn't then you=the real stupid one.

Edited by Crackfox

Haha, theres always going to be little "what ifs", thats just a fact of life and no amount of insurance can guarantee anyone complete certainty. What if a meteor lands on and explodes your face while you are peacefully sleeping in your bed tonight, or you get killed in the accident where some idiot writes off your car and also cannot afford to pay for your car? Anywho, my point was that the chances of such "what ifs" like your car being destroyed or catching fire happening is fairly small if you drive with half a brain. Atleast alot smaller than 1 in every 5 years like P plater insurance would have you believe, costing about $2k per year for a p plater with a $10k skyline if not a little more (insurance companies have alot of overhead costs, profits to mae and executive bonuses to pay) so it makes sense to get the most basic insurance you can afford.

PS: If some idiot writes off my dirty old 33 and they have no insurance I would hopefully take them to court and get a piece of their centrelink payments for the next 15 years, but if not, I can afford to pay and buy a new skyline of equal value (infact I could afford to write this next skyline off and still have just enough to buy a third one). I figure why spend all that money insuring for something that probably won't happen, but even if it does happen won't even be that bad? No one absolutely NEEDS to have a skyline, specially on their p plates, if we have/had them then it should be paid purely with your disposeable income, if it isn't then you=the real stupid one.

Not everyone has the same situation as you though. Fine if you can afford to replace your car 2 times over. Insurance is there for the unexpected, saying that accidents only happen so often or they rarely happen etc is pretty silly. Shit happens and if you can't afford to go through lengthy legal battles or replace your car out of your own back pocket then insurance is a reasonable safety net to have.

Um crackfox, now you are done blowing your own trumpet about how much money you have,

Kinda step back and maybe read the news, how many accidents to you see where the car written off not the one at fault, So I say again what if someone wipes out your car and they have no insurance, think that your mate in the passenger seat is badly hurt. are you going to pay the thousands of dollars worth of medical bills?, or what if they decide to sue you for 37 million? sure you might have a few k in the bank, woopty fkn doo.

What if you havea stack, and break both your hips, do you have enough cash to pay for that? etc etc