SAU Community

Cooked 300ZX question, Maybe you guys can help?

ix9

zeds are so heavy complex and the short wheelbase is ansty in the wet.. hicas always fail, so do electrics and most have been stacked sometime... engine is a bitch to work on also.. they are as cheap as chips in Japan now... my 180 did a 12.3 at Heathcote with me backing off halfway shows how heavy the zeds are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL:lol: Backed off halfway and still ran 12.3!!!!! Dude you must have a 10 second 180SX! Now thats a timeslip I bet we don't see:lol:

You've had a lot of experience with Zed's hey? or read a lot of magazines more likely:D

A two seater Zed has a 2450mm wheelbase and a 2+2 is 2570mm,

I wouldn't think a 180SX or Skyline is much longer than that, but I'm no expert, and I don't pretend to be either:)

My Zed must be a little unusual, not having any electrical failures or HICAS problems

yes had one for a while I know it was bad but almost the biggest pile of junk I have owned.. 1.7 60 foot, at 100mph I'll post the timeslip... it was running slicks and has 300kw at the rears... Front left wheel bearing was dodgy and car kept pulling to the left under hard acceleration....

Originally posted by ice180

my 180 did a 12.3 at Heathcote with me backing off halfway shows how heavy the zeds are.

Doesn't really show how heavy Z's are, just shows how much power you make.

What we're impressed with here isn't out right ET, but how little it takes to reach that. I've done a little searching and seems it isn't uncommon for a stock turboed, stock injectored, stock intercooled Z's to run mid 12s (or less). I guess being able to run over 1.1bar without the exhaust wheel flying off helps :D I think we all know what the limits of stock sr20 bolt ons are in comparison...

Originally posted by JiMiH

Is it true that 300zx's are very hard to work on and if anything goes wrong then big bux to fix?

Coz otherwise I reckon they are sweet looking cars :uh-huh:

It's all relative.....the Zed is fairly complex, and space is tight, but its really not that bad, I've got three in my garage at the moment, one with engine and box out and in pieces.

Hasn't been one instance yet where I have had trouble working on them.

For instance, I can get an auto box out in around an hour no problems :(

Parts are plentiful and quite cheap for 2nd hand bits, if you have to pay a mechanic, then obviously labour is expensive. Virtually all mechanics are completely overwhelmed when they pop the bonnet, and convince themselves it's too hard before they start.

Aside from the engine, all the other mechanicals are pretty much the same as all other turbo Nissans. And as you guy's know, very tough:)

The main problem is when people foolishly buy one in poor condition, have a few things go wrong, then spout off to all and sundry that the Zed is crap:( If they bothered to look at the vehicle prior to handing over the loot they wouldn't have a problem, but that applies to any car. If you bought a blue car and it crapped out, would that mean all blue cars are crap?:)

My personal opinion is that the Zed is the best value for money of any equivalent car. I like Skylines too, so don't linch me:)