SAU Community

Thick smoke pouring from exhaust

Godzillr

I just picked up my R32 GTR from its quarantine inspection and when I revved the vehicle to about 6K rpm's suddenly heaps of thick smoke began pouring from the exhaust. It seems that the smoke was only generated when the car was in gear as it would thin out when in neutral.

When I stopped the vehicle it wouldn't start again. The engine would turn over but not fire up.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? I have been told it might be a blown oil seal in the turbo.

Any help would be appreciated

A blown turbo seal would not prevent the car from starting. What colour was the exhaust smoke? The head gasket couldve blown and filled with coolant (the organic head gaskets Nissan put on from the factory are quite worn out after 15 years of hard driving) or you couldve done some more serious internal damage. I assume this is a 15 year old import? If so keep in mind the car would have sat on the docks for quite some time (several months), the fuel would have gone stale and combined with our high temperatures, its not a good combination.

Id take it to a reputable mechanic and get a compression and leak down test and go from there.

A leak down test is similar to a compression test, but instead of telling you how much pressure is in a cylinder, it tells you how much pressure is leaking from a cylinder. Any more than around 25 - 30% leakage is a big problem.

pressure test the cooling system, take plugs out while system is under pressure and crank the motor, if water sprays out....bad news(headgasket). There is also a sniffer they can put over ur radiator filler neck and if it detects and exhaust gases then the dye in the sniffer changes colour, ours goes greeny yellow from the original blue colour. also water in oil and oil in water.

plz don't double post your problem godzillr

also water in oil and oil in water.

1st thing to check..

Id take it to a reputable mechanic and get a compression and leak down test and go from there.

:werd: = worse case scenario. However may just be bad petrol, or due to it sitting there for months with "stale" oil, or a multitude of less serious problems.

If it is an 1989 car, I hope yours is an exception and not going to the common place when 15 year GTR's start flooding the country until the government changes the laws. Feel sorry for you if its serious damage, as a rebuild on RB26DETT is well into the 1000's and you have a lemon.

Everything seems to be intact.

I have just taken it to Skyline Performance Imports in Canberra. Unfortunately they won't be able to have a good look until mid next week. It is looking like it could be expensive.

When I find out what the problem is I will let everyone know.

Everything seems to be intact.  

I have just taken it to Skyline Performance Imports in Canberra.  Unfortunately they won't be able to have a good look until mid next week.  It is looking like it could be expensive.  

When I find out what the problem is I will let everyone know.

Godzillr - let me know how it goes, as I got my R last week and it is looking pretty good. did you hear any loud/bad noises when you reved to 6k?, did it rev cleanly or stutter and fluff? how much fuel did you hav in the car???

good luck with it, look forward to catching up with you.

Danooh- I will certainly let you know and congratulations on your car...

I didn't hear any noises but it did misfire between 5K and 6K rpm's. I picked up the car and it was completely out of fuel. I filled it to the top with BP premium. I drove it for a good 60km's before I had the problem.