SAU Community

Turbo Making 'eeeeee' Sound

shotpointblank

so got a series 2 stagea manual rs4s.. 80,000kms on the clock.. making 'eeeeeee' sound on boost, changed intake to silicon pipe, checked for shaft play.. minimal shaft play. check turbo wheels for chips nothing.. blows no smoke. checked airbox for leaks nothing, no boost leaks.. car is running fine, makin boost fine, bought car with the noise.. soo hmmm.... opinions?? also just wondering is there any turbos out there which is a direct bolt on standard dump, standard manifold, standard intake... steel wheels even with ballbearing or without? Whats the going rate to get the standard turbo highflowed?

turbo sorta sounds like this... LOL :D

my turbo makes a very high pitched noise comming onto boost, this is normal though, kinda more high pitched than that smexy scene you linked to :D

but does sound normal that your turbo is doing that

my turbo makes a very high pitched noise comming onto boost, this is normal though, kinda more high pitched than that smexy scene you linked to :D

but does sound normal that your turbo is doing that

just odd doesnt seem normal, all my turbo cars havent made this sound.. friend has a 34 rb25 neo doesnt make that sound??

Edited by shotpointblank

all running on stock????

my mate has a r34gtt but with a aftermarket BOV on it. makes same noise, with the exception of the "pshhhhh".

also some r33's ive been in have made same noise.

or maybe my sound is a bit different to yours. kinda hard to describe a noise with out a soundclip :D

mine sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggSklxLMzbM but without the pshhhhh

Check for exhaust manifold leak or boost leak from split hose or failing clamp.

The exhaust manifold leak is a classic for this due to manifold studs snapping. There may be telltale carbon marks where exhaust gas is leaking if you can see in there.

Mine used to be noisy until it blew,maybe it wasn't very healtfull when i got the car and the boost controller just shortened it's life,the problem was the bearings;when you checked the shaft play ,did you spin the blades?listen carefully any strange noise is a sign of wearing as well as not spining smoothly.

Hopefuly for you is just a noisy turbo.Do you have a 3" s/s.dump pipe ?pod filter? those two really amplify the sound of the turbo...

When mine died a got it hi flowed more power & more lag ,but looked like the best option for me ,price rate is beetwen 1000 and 2000 dollars depending who does it ,plus labor...check my thread to get an idea...

all running on stock????

my mate has a r34gtt but with a aftermarket BOV on it. makes same noise, with the exception of the "pshhhhh".

also some r33's ive been in have made same noise.

or maybe my sound is a bit different to yours. kinda hard to describe a noise with out a soundclip :D

mine sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggSklxLMzbM but without the pshhhhh

yeah sorta sounds like that but without the pshhhhh.... ill try get a sound clip.. just pissing me off hate the sound lol...

Mine used to be noisy until it blew,maybe it wasn't very healtfull when i got the car and the boost controller just shortened it's life,the problem was the bearings;when you checked the shaft play ,did you spin the blades?listen carefully any strange noise is a sign of wearing as well as not spining smoothly.

Hopefuly for you is just a noisy turbo.Do you have a 3" s/s.dump pipe ?pod filter? those two really amplify the sound of the turbo...

When mine died a got it hi flowed more power & more lag ,but looked like the best option for me ,price rate is beetwen 1000 and 2000 dollars depending who does it ,plus labor...check my thread to get an idea...

yeah i have a s/s dump pipe but have silicon intake pipe but still have a the stock airbox with hks airfilter.. but was making the sound with everything stock... could be just a noisy turbo.. not sure...

[check hose clamps, sometimes they appear to be fine while the motor is at idle, but once under boost they can let boost leak past.

have you got an a/m BOV? could also be leaking when its coming on boost. try tightening it up.

here is a sound bite of what mine sounds like.

http://www.4shared.com/get/v_2oZU0M/File.html

From what I read its normal. Also in this review they mention the same thing.

http://www.testdrivenau.co.cc/?p=553

Let me know if yours sounds the same?

are you in a warehouse there?

your m35 turbo seems exceptionally loud in that video.. mines never that loud and ive got a complete 3 inch system including dump.

mind you actuator pressure on an arx is 16psi.. and mine is only 12 psi.. maybe that 4psi is just enough to hear that high pitched whine or not.

(the reason i know is actuator on the r33 was screwed.. so i retrofitted andys old 100k turbo actuator from his arx on there and it worked a treat) home mods ftw

i'll take a sample of the r33 with its blocked off bov then the m35 as a comparison. hehe

Edited by PetroDola

• 3 weeks later...
are you in a warehouse there?

your m35 turbo seems exceptionally loud in that video.. mines never that loud and ive got a complete 3 inch system including dump.

mind you actuator pressure on an arx is 16psi.. and mine is only 12 psi.. maybe that 4psi is just enough to hear that high pitched whine or not.

(the reason i know is actuator on the r33 was screwed.. so i retrofitted andys old 100k turbo actuator from his arx on there and it worked a treat) home mods ftw

i'll take a sample of the r33 with its blocked off bov then the m35 as a comparison. hehe

Yeah I am in a underground car park at 8pm when its almost empty. Thought it would be good time to get sound bite. I must get round to taking a look under the hood when work gives me a break. I want to check if the exhaust bolts are coming loose like others mention as I also had this on a SR20DET silvia.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring u a not so old thread. but my BB's seem to be realy loud when the engine is turned off. is this normal? jetwreck thinks it isnt. im not sure.

I thought your turbo sound was fkn loud too. Certainly louder than anything used outside of the local speedway anyway.

yeh but wondering if its got anything to do with the exhaust leak just after the dump. I had sealed it with Manni seal as a temp till I could be bothered getting one made.

and the sound was maybe a 1/4 as much. but sinse then the mani seal is gone n theres a nice leak. but maybe its just also telling me that its not getting enough oil?

f it was the sound of the air leak, it would be more prominent at high boost as more air will be squeezed out of the gap.

When I had my turbo/dump leak, it sounded like my car was farting when I hit positive boost, but I couldn't hear anything when I was off boost

yeh..i know what that sounds like to..

but is it any difference from dump to the rest of the exhaust. Turbo-dump is sealed. but the gap is pretty marginable between dump-rest. I personally like the sound. craig just worried me when he said it might be starving on oil.

just a update... on the 'eeeeee' have now change my factory air intake pipe to a silicon pipe, checked all the hose clamps on the intercooler/on the pipes checked silcon joiners for splits, checked manifold bolts were little bit loose (thighted), changed gaskets in the turbo manifold and exhust.. checked for boost leaks.. all i know now that it is the turbo.. my guess is that its got abit of bushing wear so its rubbing under boost?? so its time for something with steel wheels and ball bearings :)

here is a sound bite of what mine sounds like.

http://www.4shared.c...oZU0M/File.html

From what I read its normal. Also in this review they mention the same thing.

http://www.testdrivenau.co.cc/?p=553

Let me know if yours sounds the same?

yeah mine seems to sound like that normal?

Edited by shotpointblank

just a update... on the 'eeeeee' have now change my factory air intake pipe to a silicon pipe, checked all the hose clamps on the intercooler/on the pipes checked silcon joiners for splits, checked manifold bolts were little bit loose (thighted), changed gaskets in the turbo manifold and exhust.. checked for boost leaks.. all i know now that it is the turbo.. my guess is that its got abit of bushing wear so its rubbing under boost?? so its time for something with steel wheels and ball bearings :)

yeah mine seems to sound like that normal?

Bush/journal turbo's shouldn't sound like that, only ball bearings are ever noisy unless its shagged like you say and rubbing. Cant the thrust washer be changed?

Aaron's one is ball bearing whine on a new rebuild. Not good in my opinion. It makes noise all the time, not just on boost.