SAU Community

Do You Know This Skyline

LKC

I dunno about the R33 but the R34's are tip...so they're not really an auto. If the R33's are tip as well I couldn't see how the resale would be effected much because it can be driven as a manual...it's just not a manual in the true sense...

It's a traditional slushbox 4-speed with one entirely useless way of shifting gears (steering wheel) and one slightly more useful (shifter.) If you want to shift gears all the time, buy a manual. I let both of my automatics do their thing - work automatically. You really gain nothing by trying to tell the car that you know best. The only time you should ever need to overide it is say down a big hill, or going through twisties.

Just about all the supercars have them now and theres a reason. its good to be able to eat, drink, do other stuff and not have to worry about changing gears sometimes. obviously i know u will lose about 5% power over all and add 10kgs+ to the car weight but if it came to it id rather the auto instead of the climate control

The 'autos' you're referring to in supercars (the fact is a lot of them now are clutchless manuals, not automatics) are nothing like the slushboxes in our R34's or anything other sub-$50,000 car.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer to drive an automatic (2/3 of my cars are auto) for the fact I'm still far too nervous to drive a manual all the time. I might get over that one day.

Hamish- it sure does :) I sleep very well knowing I can drive manual, but I choose not to because tip is much better (see my previous mini rant)

auto = 100% pure unadulterated fail..... unless it's a dedicated drag car or just a daily

tiptronic 34 boxes are just run of the mill auto's and are not even similar to DCT boxes found in R35's et al

i beg to differ about the part about not needing to override factory auto setting. downshifting, twisties and if ur already in the right gear u dont have to wait for gearbox to change; the gearbox will shift up when the revs drop but u might be approaching a roundabout etc

Hamish & Ali- I'm not comparing them, I am just simply saying if a clutch less auto is good enough for them then I am happy with a watered down tip in my daily

however is there is 1 thing I dislike is that it's only a 4 speed for a 1999 car I would expect a 5 speed, after all a new Holden Cruze is a 6 speed tip

any sort of auto is just crap triptronic or not...FULLSTOP!!!!! (expect the ones like in the 35)

chantalle the way you talking you use the tip most the times you drive it ey...dont expect the gearbox to last long then...they are only made for hill climb and twisties for better control like Juliette mentioned...

THEREFORE MANUAL>AUTO/TRIP in 34s (unless on ps with auto licence)

Only 2 people I know who have auto haven't converted it to manual already. One of which is jus waiting on funds and parts to make the change. On another note harsh is right, ask beza how long his gearbox in his 34 lasted while using the tiptronic as a manual all the time :D really at the end of the day, the only time auto is useful is in start-stop cbd traffic. Give me a manual anyday. As far as practicality goes when you get your licence, don't be lazy. It's like mama always said :blush: what happens when ur in an emergency and the only car available is a manual and u don't know how to drive it? end of the day even if u end up with an auto at least u have the ability to drive anything should you need to.

yeah, honestly it has alil too many km's on it

It's an RB motor it will last standard for years and years.

I bought mine with 240,000kms ran like a dream for years -

then at 300,000 I reconditioned it for more power.............

Most of the ones for sale have their k's turned back anyway -

honestly how many 15 year old cars have done less than that?

It's an RB motor it will last standard for years and years.

I bought mine with 240,000kms ran like a dream for years -

then at 300,000 I reconditioned it for more power.............

Most of the ones for sale have their k's turned back anyway -

honestly how many 15 year old cars have done less than that?

Sorry take that last bit back lol

the ks for that age car IS normal - but still anything less they

have probably been wound back.....

Car looks clean - Id say go 4 it :D