SAU Community

Auto To Manual

Just wondering guys im planning to get my first baby an r33 gtst but i have a small problem i found one which i really like at a fantastic price but its auto but i really want manual. How much would it cost to change to manual, would it be 2 much hassel, is there any negative impacts, and roughly how much would it cost. LAstly if i did a conversion would it b just the same as another manual r33.

well i did my R32 GTS4 the other week and it was a pain in the arse. we had 4 car jacks and we did it in my friends back yard. that weekend we had all those huge storms!! we were changing a gearbox. i got an email from a guy in perth saying that he had a gts4 front cut and he didn't need the gearbox and everything that i would need to do a conversion. got it really cheap. doing the console parts and computer was the easy part. getting the gearbox in and out SUCKED!!! there is no room at all to move. i reckon if you really want a manual get a manual. thats the easy way to do it.

Why the urge to get a manual?

Turbos and autos go together like eggs and ham

think about it - no lagg from a closed throttle during gear changes; quicker gear changes and a torque converter to improve the bottom end (a turbo engines worst end)

Say wat i always thought manual's were faster spec wise how different are they. I also love dragging at lights would there be a huge difference. If there is no difference why is manual so popular. to tell u the truth i would prefer auto but i prefer faster, which to me better. ahhh dont no wat to do.

A standard auto will be a bit slower than a manual, but spend a few bucks on an upgrade($300ish) and it will be quicker - still cheaper than a 2 plate clutch. ($600-$3000) and lasts heaps longer.

hmmm very interesting im not car intelligent more a newbie, what would i have to upgrade and then would it be very close speed wise as a manual.

If you want it to go quick you will need to fator in a few performance mods as well.

The usual list includes - exhaust ($1100ish)

air pod and petition ($200)

bleed valve to increase the boost ($150 fitted)

aftermarket computer - lost of options here ($500 - $1500)

dyno time to tune this all ($400)

these prices are a rough guide - you can buy bits cheaper second hand and can save money fitting some bits yourself.

the next steps - if the turbo bug bites is a front mount intercooler -($1000 to $1600) and an upgraded turbo ($500 - $3000) pluss dyno yuning time.

ontop of this you could spend money on suspension and body kits.

hope this helps.

auto's rock! mines auto and ive done quite a few mods and im quite happy with it. Its great for being on constant boost when changing gears. I find i cant launch mine as good as a manual but my rear tyres are ****ed too so that could be the case.

I wouldnt convert it, when buying second hand manual boxes you dont know if the sychro's are ****ed or its got any leaking bearings. I found this out the hard way in my old car. The car seems to lose its integrity too.

I wanted a manual too but i settled on the auto as i got mine for a great price, and im still happy with it.

auto's rock! mines auto and ive done quite a few mods and im quite happy with it. Its great for being on constant boost when changing gears. I find i cant launch mine as good as a manual but my rear tyres are ****ed too so that could be the case.

I wouldnt convert it, when buying second hand manual boxes you dont know if the sychro's are ****ed or its got any leaking bearings. I found this out the hard way in my old car. The car seems to lose its integrity too.

I wanted a manual too but i settled on the auto as i got mine for a great price, and im still happy with it.

Hey did you buy your car off an asian guy on the coast?

had a name like hiro or something?

Oh and your so right, autos are still good. I chose mine not because it was auto, but because of the mods, wheels etc it had for the price. My mate bought a 33 same year as mine, manual, for almost the same price and ive got over $7000 in mods (mainly nismo wheels!), while his is stock. ;)

Mine was a lucky find, right time & place. Auto does get manual on the gear change.. Whenever i race a manual (track ofcourse) Launch is pretty close, then they get in front, but soon as they run out of rpm and change gears its dead even and eventually by 4-5th im in front and holding.

Well thats been the case for most of them :) hehe some have good clutches/tyres and know how to drive it in which case im left crying.

:headspin:

thats extactly right.. unless you get a big stall in a auto they are big slugs off the line and you can't change gears properly. its just a pain in the arse. i htink in a manual you can control the car alot better in every situation.

Mr GTS4 - how much experience do you have with skyline autos? - they are not the same as the ones on your mums laser.

What do you mean "they dont change gears propperly"? - an auto will change consistently every time, at the correct point on the torque curve, and you dont have the problem most manual drivers have of over revving it and missing the optimum shift point.

What do you mean "unless you get a big stall (converter)" - yes this will help (but isnt essential), but with a manual you will have to get a new heavy duty clutch.

my guess is that you have been beeten off the line too many times by autos and have a grudge.

I think that everyone has missed the most crucial part (worst) about an auto. It's the torque converter, these "use up" a fair bit of power which in a manual would have been transfered to the wheels. Also why do people use close ration 6 speed gear boxs? becasue the closer the ratios and the more gears you have will equate to a higher average power throughout the powerband. A good driver in a manual will always beat an auto unless we are talking about big power figures, then the auto wins, but for most street racers the manual is the go.

And about not losing boost through gear changes, If you have a properly sized turbo and gear ratios you will not fall off boost between changes, it should be like you never lost boost at all. Also a clutch is a great way to minimise turbo lag, if you are spooling while the other guy is boosting past you, hit the clutch, induce some wheelspin and you will be boosting instantly.

right on brother :D and my mum has never had a lazer... hahahaha

the reason why i don't like auto's is cos there for lazy drivers. like i said before you have more control over the car with a manual than the auto. also now i have the manual i get about 100k's more to a tank. i just like the idea of being able to change gears when i want not when the computer wants to. but everyone has their own opinion's i spose