SAU Community

Having Problems With Traction.. Also Having Occational Fishtailing

Good Evening guys.

I'm driving a Nissan Skyline r34 4door. My Stock Engine is RB20de Neo 6.

I never had problems with traction up until i changed my engine.

Now my Engine is the 1jz-gte.. as you all know.. its twice the power of the NA RB20.. its also matic so i get the occational fishtailing when step on the gas and the engine downshifts.

How can i prevent this from happening. Im not an experienced racing driver.. and im really afraid that when my car loses traction i just might lose it.

the car isn't on LSD.. and most of the time the roads here are dry. Since here in the Philippines the weather is tropical.

What are the steps i could take to prevent my car from wheel spinning, having traction, no fishtailing?

Probably the first step would be to get some decent performance tyres that are good in the dry and wet conditions examples would be Toyo R1R, Toyo T1R, Bridgestone Potenza RE01 etc... then probably change your diff to an LSD there the only two i can think of atm to prevent traction loss.

LSD is probably the cheapest and most effective way to gain more traction. You could pick up an LSD centre for the stock diff for less that the cost of two new rear tyres. Even the factory GTT diff would be good...

can you please enlighten me on how LSD would prevent me on slipping?

sorry for the noobness.. but I thought people placed LSD for them to be able to drift.. which means when you drift you actually on purposely make it lose traction right?

The lsd will won't allow the rear wheels to spin until both are spinning (in very simple terms)...so instead of the engine wheelspinning one tire, it has to do it to both of your rear tires.

Upgrade your tires too, anything s compound will be good for a street driven car that doesn't see too much rain/dusty roads etc. Bigger rims with wider tires will help too.

Change your cradle bushes and set them for traction.

Get a wheel alignment done and set the rear negative camber to something small (like -'ve 1/2 degree or less).

If you have adjustable coilovers/dampers, set them softer or change spring rates to something a little softer if they're hard.

That should be a good start to getting traction and as long as the 1j isn't really worked, doing even just some of the above, you should be able to get traction.

Edit - playing with cradle bushes, wheel alignment and rear damper/spring rates will affect cornering performance etc. You need to determine how you like to drive it and then mod accordingly e.g. if you like corners too, then do wider rear wheels with S or R compound tires first and an LSD, you will likely not have traction issues then and the car will also corner and drive out of corners much better.

Edited by Touge Kyousou

The lsd will won't allow the rear wheels to spin until both are spinning (in very simple terms)...so instead of the engine wheelspinning one tire, it has to do it to both of your rear tires.

This is good.. but this is my dilemma.. you see the roads here in the philippines are not exactly as smooth and even.. meaning. .there will be parts of the road wherein you would have a sudden jump.. not very high.. but if you drive at 180km.. even the slightest uneven road would make your car bouncy.. thus with this situation.. what are the chances that when the tires suddenly landfoot again on that small jump.. it wont start spinning?

What are the steps i could take to prevent my car from wheel spinning, having traction, no fishtailing?

FWIW - fishtailing occurs when you over-correct in a slide, so you need to get driver training to stop that :thumbsup:

But he doesn't have an LSD atm so shouldn't be fishtailing under normal driving.

Ehsan,

I shouldn't really give you anymore advice as i've never been to the phillipines nor driven there... and you're driving on bumpy roads at 180?? o.0

Maybe visit a local performance tuner/store and see what they think.. some shop with a good reputation.

Don't go S or R compound tires either if the roads have alot of debris/dust etc over them. GL