SAU Community

V8 Vh45De Into Stagea

dirtyRS4

You have got me thinking about this instead of the Rb26 600hp tractor motor I am building

have done a little research

The 4.5 internals fit into to 4.1 block with enogh clearances etc.

Found this info on a R32 gtr AWD with VH4.1. The guy is in Australia and is/was on here (Skycat) but has not been online for a coupls of years. He did have a Advan as a contact and his real name in his profile. Track him down for all the info.

Few pics in this thread

http://forums.nicoclub.com/vh41-awd-r32-gtr-skyline-t346785.html

Looking at the pics it looks like turbos will have to be mounted foward of engine as they will not fit between engine and strut towers??

This will creat alot of other drama's moving everything out the way.

Maybe best keep NA.

I will keep searching.

What year are these engines? Not sure if they can be made legal esp if they are older than the stagea's???

One of the main reasons I am not going Rb30

Edited by darrinspencer

i keep getn info on rwd 450sx which a few forum members have done easily. but i am tryn to get more info for my mate that has done one in a 300zx and might help Top Racing with the build. im gonna become members with a nz discussion group that know simon (puremethamphetamachine) and have done a VH41DE conversion into a stag. i might just crate the VH41DE up and buy in a week from a good source in the US. they want to get hold of as many RB30 blocks as possible, they go for a premium price. ironic that.

I wonder if I could get 2x v8's for my 30 :ermm:

You have got me thinking about this instead of the Rb26 600hp tractor motor I am building

have done a little research

The 4.5 internals fit into to 4.1 block with enogh clearances etc.

Found this info on a R32 gtr AWD with VH4.1. The guy is in Australia and is/was on here (Skycat) but has not been online for a coupls of years. He did have a Advan as a contact and his real name in his profile. Track him down for all the info.

Few pics in this thread

http://forums.nicoclub.com/vh41-awd-r32-gtr-skyline-t346785.html

Looking at the pics it looks like turbos will have to be mounted foward of engine as they will not fit between engine and strut towers??

This will creat alot of other drama's moving everything out the way.

Maybe best keep NA.

I will keep searching.

What year are these engines? Not sure if they can be made legal esp if they are older than the stagea's???

One of the main reasons I am not going Rb30

There's a 32 4-door over here with a vq30 in it with a massive turbo (T04Z) I think mounted in front of the engine, pretty much the only way to do it with a V engine in a skyline.

Pity that guy disappeared and pity there's not more photos of the important bits :(

This page says they made AWD Cimas with VH41's up until Sept '98 and with VK45's in '01.

Love to know what autos are behind them..

I have played with the VH45DE and fitted it into a 180sx, see thread.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/275110-180sx-vh45/page__p__4742872__hl__vh45de+180sx__fromsearch__1#entry4742872

Drove it briefly today after my mate had a drive as it's his car, all I can say is they are great, responsive and pretty big lol.

Weight wise, they only weigh 20kg more than say an SR20DET setup (engine, ancillaries, manifold, turbo, intercooler etc).

Being all alloy helps in the weight stakes, and the thing drives great, considering engine usually lugs a 1800kg plus car and is now pulling 1250kg or less, doesn't feel nose heavy.

VH45, meh, next I'd like to try a VK56DE+TT in a 34GTR!!!

I have played with the VH45DE and fitted it into a 180sx, see thread.

http://www.skylinesa..._1#entry4742872

Drove it briefly today after my mate had a drive as it's his car, all I can say is they are great, responsive and pretty big lol.

Weight wise, they only weigh 20kg more than say an SR20DET setup (engine, ancillaries, manifold, turbo, intercooler etc).

Being all alloy helps in the weight stakes, and the thing drives great, considering engine usually lugs a 1800kg plus car and is now pulling 1250kg or less, doesn't feel nose heavy.

VH45, meh, next I'd like to try a VK56DE+TT in a 34GTR!!!

thats just craziness and yeah but call me sensible, i would never spend that amount of coin, time or effort. lol. yet to hear how this engine goes in awd form. ive seen a VH45DETT drag car make 1500hp @ 10 000rpm, i think thats enough room to play with. i have read some better stuff on the VH41DE.

from what i can gather not much fabrication involved or VK or VQ motor needed or expensive CVT gearbox rebuilds. no thnx. this and off the shelf parts availabilty is the main reason why i didnt buy a M35 when i bought my second stagea. i wish i had the series 1 RS rwd widely available in nz for nothing. would be easier imo.

what are the torque figures like in your VH45DE, i bet the power is much more linear without + T. rwd conversion in the 14 seems sorta straight forward but this will be based around the awd Y32/33 cima coupling to a awd C34 platform, heaps of info from the US regarding 450sx. not much on awd cima. but i heard diff ratios to be 3.90.1

what is your 180 putting out atm? will you + T and any tips? do you know kevin and his V8 Z32 aswell? small world after all.

Edited by dirtyRS4

i have a VH45 that im putting in an old holden, it came out of an old tank mercedes and it absolutely hauled!!! these are the best engines. LS1/anything holden can go to hell, i love my VH. they're extremely light and the sound........

to answer an earlier question, they're a 90degree V so they're extremely wide, fits nice and snug in an HZ engine bay so would be a very very tight fit in a stag but they've been fitted in skylines before so i guess its not impossible.

id love to do a VH41 AWD transplant one day, only thing holding me back is the lack of easy manual conversion options. adaptor plates have been made and a few one offs have been made but nothing that doesnt need a bit of stuffing around yet. also, from what iv read, the VH41 are the better engines as these were built for the jap market not the US like the 45s but the good thing is that the internals are all interchangable so you can take the better VH41 and stroke it to 4.5 with the VH45 rods and pistons. worth doing because the sumps are different between the 41 and 45 so you cant just bolt the AWD sump to a 45.

more info at www.vh45de.com and NICOclub.com

D.

Need more info on AWD Cimas!!

Even though I drive around in RWD most of the time there is no way in hell I would bin AWD to put a v8 in.. the challenge would be dropping a v8 in and keeping AWD!

Edited by bubba

Bam!! this just made my day. yanks have gotta be good for something. lolz

Note: half way down reference to a guy in Tassie, iirc someone has done one on this forum with a R32GTR. i thought you were going rips build pintaline?

AWD Cima

Edited by dirtyRS4

sounds like a great idea, just the trouble of getting it all legal being such big capacity. I cant remember the exact rules for engine conversion in WA but worth checking out before going too far. I think keeping it NA might be fine but turbos etc would be not so easy.

I have just recently bought my first Stag, a realy nice black s2 rs4 with a dayz kit and coilovers. Putting an AWD VH41/5 was the second thing I thought of. Ha ha ha...

I was very seriously looking a putting an AWD VH41/5 into one of my r32 gtr's... Veeeery interesting. You'll see my posts on the nico VH forum.

If I was to do (I still might) the swap into a stag, I would retain the VH auto gearbox (as I use my stag to tow with) rebuild the VH41 with VH45 Crank and Rods then bolt a positive displacment supercharger to the top of it with a sanwiched water to air cooler. Nice quiet exhaust, stock air box and all origional looking...

You'd have to do somthing about the 'weaker' rear end if you have that model, get the gear ratio's right and it would be a really good thing. The hardest part would be the electronics and awd hydralics intergration.

Ahhh... just dont have the time!

Cheers

Justin

Just worked out some numbers for cost assuming you went a rebuilt 4.1 with 4.5 internals twin turbo and engineered if possible. $30K give or take

4.1 s/hand $2K

4.5 new internals suit turbo $4K

Rebuild costs machining and labor $3K

New ECU and wiring $3K

Tuning $1K

Custom exh manifiold $2K

new exhaust $1.5K

Turbo's and fitting parts $3.5k

Intercooler setup $1.5K

Radiator mods $0.5K

Drive shafts $1K

Engine mounts $0.5K

Diff mods suit ratio's $1K

manual gearboz adaptor mods to clutch $1K

Intake filters mods $0.5K

Engineering $1K

Bigger Brakes $1K+

Other engine bay mods, wiring, cluster etc $1K

Plus any additional labor need $1-4K

Not a cheap mod

Was a good dream while it lasted

Just worked out some numbers for cost assuming you went a rebuilt 4.1 with 4.5 internals twin turbo and engineered if possible. $30K give or take

4.1 s/hand $2K - For an AWD 1/2 Cut, the best quote I got was around 5k

4.5 new internals suit turbo $4K

Rebuild costs machining and labor $3K

New ECU and wiring $3K - I'm fairly shure there is a nistune available for the VH ecu .5k

Tuning $1K

Custom exh manifiold $2K

new exhaust $1.5K

Turbo's and fitting parts $3.5k

Intercooler setup $1.5K

Radiator mods $0.5K

Drive shafts $1K

Engine mounts $0.5K

Diff mods suit ratio's $1K

manual gearboz adaptor mods to clutch $1K

Intake filters mods $0.5K

Engineering $1K

Bigger Brakes $1K+

Other engine bay mods, wiring, cluster etc $1K

Plus any additional labor need $1-4K

Not a cheap mod

Was a good dream while it lasted

If you supercharged it with an off the self kit, you could probably cut 3-5k out of the budget.

If you compare the cost of a VH conversion to an rb30 conversion, it's not that far off...

Rebuilt to stock spec with OS cast pistons, adapting mods, head mods, adapter plate etc 8.5k As quoted by Lewis.

Tune and nisstune 1.5k

Fuel Pump .5k

Cooler Kit .75k

Exhaust 1.5k

Re-built turbo/Highflow 1.5k

Coilpacks, belts service parts 1k

Engine mounts .5k (to clear strut brace properly)

Auto shift kit and cooler 1k

Coolant bubbler tank .5k

Engineering 1k

Brakes 1k

And you cant sell the 100k AWD rb25, loom, sensors, box and ecu say minus 4k

VH- $25k

RB30- $20k Or If you wanted a built/forged engine add another 3k.

Not that far off...

Cheers

Justin

Edited by XRATED