SAU Community

Gtr Problems

i just purchased my first r32 gtr. when i picked it up friday the car, when i started it seem to have a miss, but i couldnt tell. it runs like it have a bigger cam. sounds very lumpy. it only does it at idle. does anyone know if there is problem??? when you increase power, typical gtr exhaust note but when cruisin it sounds like it isnt running on all 6 cylinders. i have checked the spark plugs, coils, injectors. i think there my be some sort of air leak. i sprayed some aerostart near the no2 and no3 injector and the car ran perfect for a second the miss was gone and then came back again. also i looked under the rear of the car and the diff has the typical v spec oil cooler fins on the backing plate. does this mean its a vspec??? how else can i tell? can someone help? the car has done 90klm. also with the gtr are they still speed limited to 190km? thats where mine stopped.

All non-kei class cars in japan are speed limited to 180km/h. This is often bypassed when modifying, however.

It's interesting to see how many of these r32s are coming off the boat in what seems to be bad condition - I guess some people out there aren't surprised...

maybe the valves are acting slightly sticky?

You mean you have "checked" the injectors.. Have you actually tried taking them out and swapping them, and noticing whether the problem starts appearing on a different cylinder?

doesn't sound good!

if it sounds lumpy (like a WRX?) then theres most definately a problem (unless it does have cams, but if it still has the factory speed limiter, odds are against you having cams). Get a compression and Leakdown test done ASAP. You are in the NT which means HEAT, and we all know what HEAT means, dont we kids? Detonation! (especially if its been boosted)... Worst Case Scenario, you've done a piston(s) ... best case scenario, i dunno...

But, first test would be what pred wrote, change the 'jectors and the coilpacks... thats the best place to start. Cross your fingers that you find the problem there.

Good Luck.

Christian

With the minimal mods youve stated id be suprised if it had a camshafts, but they are a damn good performance upgrade so its not out of the question. Theres one quick easy way of testing, take the coil pack cover off (the part in the middle of the engine with Nissan on it) and disconnect the coil packs one by one (e.g disconnect one then plug it back in).

When you disconnect them you should notice the note of the car change as it stops firing on that cylinder. If you disconnect a coil pack and it doesnt seem to have any effect on the engine, then its something bad in there (coil pack/spark plug).

I guess thats just a basic check to see if its firing correctly on all cylinders at idle. My mechanic taught me this trick when I had a fouled plug and he did that to find which cylinder it was without removing them all.

Could be a coil failure, could be a fouled spark plug, could be a blocked injector and hence no fuels getting through. Id take the coil pack and spark plug out and check those first and go from there (hopefully its just a fouled plug).

found signs of no2 injector leaking and blow by gas coming out through the injector port. hopefully by replacing the injector orings it should kill the miss fire. air is apparently getting sucked in through this leaking injector. we discovered this by spraying some aerostart near the injector bottom (as it goes into the intake manifold) the miss went away.