SAU Community

R33 Electrical Malfunction

asian_skyliner33

Hey guys,

So basically bought my first skyline r33 gtst series 1 a month ago and woke up sunday morning to the pictures attatched. What the F*** happened? Obviously there was a fire in the car and i have disconnected the batery and called insurance. But want to know worth salacaging it and repairing or complete write off?

and anyone have any idea how or what happened?

post-80609-0-52860000-1297049474_thumb.jpg

post-80609-0-10014700-1297049535_thumb.jpg

Mate sounds like you've bought a lemon, 3 problems gone wrong with it in 1 month? Good luck ever selling that on SAU...

That looks like a pretty serious problem too...

Edited by Dani Boi

holy crap lol... wouldnt have wanted that to happen while you were cruising down the freeway :P

It's good insurance is doing it for you, should have a nice fresh interior when they are done.

Dash, steering wheel, indicator/wiper stalks, ignition barrel, steering column covers and seat just to spot the obvious.

Then depending on what the repairer says it could be possible new gauge cluster if heat damaged and the wiring, maybe a new loom or alot of soldering..

If I was the installer at JB's I'd be feeling pretty nervous about now, even if they aren't at fault the insurance company we try their luck at placing blame to offset their cost.

Edited by R33 Impul

without seeing the car its hard to tell but if it was the stereo its wierd that its burned through just the steering column, id be leaning towards immobilizer install unless the guy at JB messed with someone elses wiring @ the steering column.

btw are they even qualified at JB's to do wiring? most are just retards in sales that wouldn't have a clue about auto electrics

also u mentioned the RAC had a look at your car recently - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/352034-engine-problem-possibly-battery/

some of them are also retarded (not all) did he JUST replace the battery or did he stick his head under the steering column? id be mentioning all this to the insurance company as they could of connected the battery wrong or something

My friend had trouble with his indicator making ticking noises for a few months, then once when we were driving smoke started coming out of the steering column thing from the gap where the indicator goes in (hard to notice the smoke at first). It turned out to do be the indicators fault, whilst it was blinking left and only left. We took it apart and I cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner and that seemed to fix the problem and the indicator ticking noise.

He had no aftermarket alarm or turbotimer or anything installed on his car either, it was all stock electrics and happened pretty suddenly. Possible could have been the same problem as your car?