SAU Community

Best shocks for bumpy roads?

Hey guys I'm in the market for new shocks but as most of the roads I drive on are poor quality I want something fairly comfortable that will soak up the bumps while still providing good performance on the better quality roads. I'm keeping my standard springs to try and compensate for the bumps but I'm not sure if this will be enough.

I'm thinking of bilstein or kyb shocks - does anyone have experience with these shocks on poor quality bichamen(sp) roads?

Cheers

Greg

I can't speak from experience, but I've only heard good things about Bilstein. Someone here paired them with a set of Kings Springs (though I'd probably go Whiteline or Eibach myself), and were impressed with their bump compliance and handling (over a set of Tein HA's!).

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah i had a set of bilstien and Kings paired, they were very good at absorbing the little bumps, but would actually bottom out with a heavy clang on anything medium to bigger. these were brand new with brand new springs.

Now i have tein coil-overs. they dont absorb anything but its alot better than the clunky bilstiens. But the stiff tein let me throw it into corners so much harder than the bilstien.

Hey guys I'm in the market for new shocks but as most of the roads I drive on are poor quality I want something fairly comfortable that will soak up the bumps while still providing good performance on the better quality roads. I'm keeping my standard springs to try and compensate for the bumps but I'm not sure if this will be enough.

I'm thinking of bilstein or kyb shocks - does anyone have experience with these shocks on poor quality bichamen(sp) roads?

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg, for rough conditions we find Konis to be a little more compliant than Bilsteins. This is because they have slightly softer bump valving. As usual, with the Konis you get adjustable rebound valving, so you can tune it for your taste. The rebound adjustment allows you to use the standard springs or a slightly higher rate, aftermarket spring. Like Elithrar, I personally prefer Whiteline, their design philosophy suites my requirements better than Kings.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...