SAU Community

Bnr34 Revamp

Having had a vented bonnet on my old 32, you will certainly notice a drop in underbonnet temps (due to hot air rising), but I dont know if the splitter will help or hinder this airflow??

A quirk I noticed of having the bonnet vent: in cold weather sometimes the lower part of the windscreen would fog up! No big drama tho..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure the Ztune R34's went with the shorter splitter to favor cooling a little more than downforce. If anything its the back of the car that can do with more traction. The front has an engine and awd system keeping it on the ground.

I'd be sending the splitter back. Stuff buying a part and then having to "fix" it before you can use it. Once you cut carbon and re-join it, it will never have even close to the original strength of an un-modified product. They probaly sent you a splitter that is narrower to fit an R34 GTT front bar or something...

I figure the Ztune R34's went with the shorter splitter to favor cooling a little more than downforce. If anything its the back of the car that can do with more traction. The front has an engine and awd system keeping it on the ground.

I'd be sending the splitter back. Stuff buying a part and then having to "fix" it before you can use it. Once you cut carbon and re-join it, it will never have even close to the original strength of an un-modified product. They probaly sent you a splitter that is narrower to fit an R34 GTT front bar or something...

We are thinking along the same lines, I reckon it was for a GTT also. It would be nice to see a real Nismo splitter to put this debate to bed.

Well a good 6 hours went into the body yesterday, thanks to a hangover and numerous obligations, no chance of getting any work done today, hoping for a full or half day tomorrow.

Most of the time has gone into setting the creases right, the guard to bonnet was a little wayward, also these guards sit a lot flatter across the doors;

post-78013-0-02789900-1299384610_thumb.jpg

post-78013-0-28336800-1299384658_thumb.jpg

I fully adjusted the drivers door in and still needed to build the edge by 2-3 mm or so. they also wrap tight and a little narrow at the bottom, so the bottom and lower side is requiring about a 5mm build up underneath to match up with the skirts;

post-78013-0-95328500-1299384524_thumb.jpg

post-78013-0-33200700-1299384741_thumb.jpg

and about 2mm on the side. to match the factory skirts. Will need to do some work to the inner vents, the door tape is brushing against it, currently, a little paint thickness will see it rub and damaged.

The bonnet was also sitting very high, I sanded down the back bolt hole as much as I dared to allow the bonnet hinge to close lower than it had, but still had about a 3mm disparity. Requiring a bit of a build up on the top of the guard.

post-78013-0-81513100-1299384484_thumb.jpg

post-78013-0-66228200-1299384568_thumb.jpg

The next work on the passenger guard is to come off and and have some internal hand sanding in some detail area, will give it a week for the chemicals to disburse then primer filler it, so for the next few weeks it is just sanding sanding and more sanding :-)

post-78013-0-88182600-1299384704_thumb.jpg

You will see a little bog floating on the guard, it is an interesting area, rubbing up over the mounting point for the indicator it seemed to indent a little to the top of the guard, so it was filled and feels a lot better now.

We are thinking along the same lines, I reckon it was for a GTT also. It would be nice to see a real Nismo splitter to put this debate to bed.

join the club, that's why mine isn't for sale to GTR owners - we have the same problem, too narrow. I also guessed it was for a GTT

Did you get it from JSAI? i'm trying to deal with it at the moment, but two people with the same problem i think puts us in a stronger position for money back.

Shoot me your email address, as i'm dealing with the dealer here in Vic - he's very helpful and might be able to finally resolve this if there is someone else in the same position.

join the club, that's why mine isn't for sale to GTR owners - we have the same problem, too narrow. I also guessed it was for a GTT

Did you get it from JSAI? i'm trying to deal with it at the moment, but two people with the same problem i think puts us in a stronger position for money back.

Shoot me your email address, as i'm dealing with the dealer here in Vic - he's very helpful and might be able to finally resolve this if there is someone else in the same position.

I am pretty sure it all comes from Josh, I did buy through Mu Secret though. they are clearly about a couple of inches too short. Email is [email protected]

hey mate! glad to hear you got a diff sorted. one of our staff fell ill and I got called away to tamworth for a week and a bit. just got back yesterday. hehe, probably cheaper than mine too!! :)

project looks awesome. it will be a piece of gear once finished with all the body bits and the new engine etc.

hey mate! glad to hear you got a diff sorted. one of our staff fell ill and I got called away to tamworth for a week and a bit. just got back yesterday. hehe, probably cheaper than mine too!! :)

project looks awesome. it will be a piece of gear once finished with all the body bits and the new engine etc.

I hope so Richard! I am going through one of my why have I started this phases, this really is a rollercoaster.

I was blown away by the diff and sump price too, keep waiting for the deal to be snatched, but the crate N1 motor is going where a front 34 diff ain't a necessity, so my gain hopefully. I was expecting to pay up to $1,000 for a new one. May help to bring a tad more tightness to the driveline too, though I have been told the outgoing diff was in great nick.

I think I had better stop trying to buy stuff off you, every time I try, catastrophe follows :D

Well things go well on the engine front, still waiting to get some pics, but the block is dipped, decked, machined, clearances and honed. waiting on the total seal rings to begin assembly. The #5 cylinder suffered some scoring and scratching due to the problem being diagnosed late, but this all cleaned up perfectly at 86.5mm so that must give me at least 12 more cc to help push those turbos ;-)

The head has cleaned up like a bought one too I am told, so still very happy about the progress, if all I have had to additionally account for is the new sump and diff by the end of this I will be a happy man. Machining will start on the head next week, so all things are tracking towards having the engine back mid to late next month.

There will be another day go into the body, my headlights are in, there is going to be a bit of work go into getting the right gaps around the headlights, can't wait :mellow:

Nothing too exciting today, getting ready to build the bottom eyelids up a little and matching the bonnet and bumper up. A day spent trying to make everything fit in the end.

post-78013-0-03724900-1299924789_thumb.jpg

post-78013-0-84432400-1299924804_thumb.jpg

post-78013-0-88906200-1299924825_thumb.jpg

I put some strips of fibreglass on the bottom eyelids round the headlights will be matching that gap up in the morning. Once done it will be time to start prepping for primer :turned:

Hi,

Im building my R34 gtr also I used the r-tune bonnet , i did not want to use the aftermarket bonnet as it was so weak i could see it coming off my car. I bought nismo fenders as i had bought alot of the kit from Josh but was extremly disappointed with the quality. Any aftermarket fibre glass kits you have to but it from Bodyform, he makes the best quality .

Below is a link you can see how the kit looks on my car.

http://www.justenginemanagement.com/bobr34.html

Also on the same website there are pics of an original R34 Z-tune

Good to get some feedback about the quality of the various body parts available out there. I was considering these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2001-Nissan-Skyline-R34-NS-Carbon-Fiber-Fenders-/330539641484?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf5b2aa8c

Considering how cheap the USD is now, as well as being carbon, it would be interesting to see what the fitment quality is like.

Edit:

I'll add... while it might seem pricy. I'd rather pay double than have to pay a body guy to get some substandard quality guards to fit correctly by filling them with bog. 1/2 the time they would never be identical from left to right if they had to be "custom fitted" as well...

Edited by GTRNUR

Hi,

Im building my R34 gtr also I used the r-tune bonnet , i did not want to use the aftermarket bonnet as it was so weak i could see it coming off my car. I bought nismo fenders as i had bought alot of the kit from Josh but was extremly disappointed with the quality. Any aftermarket fibre glass kits you have to but it from Bodyform, he makes the best quality .

http://www.justengin...com/bobr34.html

Edited by Mckhenry

Good to get some feedback about the quality of the various body parts available out there. I was considering these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4cf5b2aa8c

Considering how cheap the USD is now, as well as being carbon, it would be interesting to see what the fitment quality is like.

Edit:

I'll add... while it might seem pricy. I'd rather pay double than have to pay a body guy to get some substandard quality guards to fit correctly by filling them with bog. 1/2 the time they would never be identical from left to right if they had to be "custom fitted" as well...

Id personally stick with Nismo body parts as they fit. You can buy something cheap and end up costing you more the the original part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4cf5b2aa8c

Edit:

The guards are Seibon, they are the same guys that did the bonnet on my car. They are fiberglass with a couple of layers of carbon weave, I would be surprised if they fit any better than the parts I bought.

In regards to the bog, I haven't even taken 500gms from the tin yet and most of that ends up being sanded away, there will be 10x more weight of paint go on the car, it just looks a lot, but there isn't that much there. I am just fussy about the finish, i want as close to a mirror finish as I can, but that is me. I don't consider a dent free car to be straight unless what is reflected in the paint is clean. It is kind of hard to explain, but have a look at most cars that have had done what I an doing if you see a picture of the painted parts, have a look at the clarity what is reflected in that and what happens to that image if you move around the vehicle.

I am just taking the time whilst the car is down, to do the best job I know how to on the body. The body kit isn't that bad in fitment and compared to the $10,000 price tag of the NISMO front end, it gets to suck up a few hours making sure it will look the part.

Hi,

http://www.justengin...com/bobr34.html

So that is the R-Tune bonnet with fiberglass guards? Looks good, have you got any detailed pics with the bonnet shut? Nismo indicator lenses would finish it off nice too.