Hicas Lock Bar - Legal?

Majestic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing about your car is legal these days regardless.

Having said that, not it's not "legal" and needs to be engineered, though I'd say when it comes to modifications it would be the least of anyone's worries. Just spray the thing matte black before fitting it, won't stand out then.

Spray it black and dont tell any body. Prob wont be noticed.

What is the advantage of a HICAS lock bar?

Not like the hicas does heaps, esp in comparison to the AWS in the Honda's....

I guess the biggest reason for me was to lock up the rear wheels, it makes going sideways a lot easier and some would argue it makes the car more predicatable. Many of the hicas systems are not working properly anymore (mine was working one day, not for the next two, then for an hour), so getting rid of it fixed my issue.

I don't think hicas doesn't move as much as a honda AWD system, but for a general spirted driver I suppose it could offer some advantage.

Hicas as I have read doesn't move any more than 1 degree in either direction, so really fk all. given how old it is, it's on it's last legs as it is if it's still working. Mine was throwing the warning light on occasionally, so I figured since I was getting other suspension work done anyway, extra $99 for the lock bar was nothing and might as well be done.

my wife's GTS-T seems to be taily on take offs when the boost is turned up (tail is real sensative - can feel the tail starting to come out and have to bring it back in). I've owned two supercharged xr8 falcons in the past - controlling the tail end was never an issue - the fords would just go straight unless i put the tail out on purpose. I've had a few of my ford mates drive the GTS-T - they say the same thing - its a bit taily (they love the power response though lol). I'm guessing its the HICAS 4wheel steering system making the tail a bit sensative - I thought maybe I should fit a lock bar to make it more predictable as stated in the post above. On a separate issue - I recently bought myself a R33 GTR (always wanted one - finally went out and bought one). The GTR has a HICAS lock bar fitted - but the HICAS warning light is constantly on - does anyone have any quick easy tips on turning this light off?

pull the bulb out from behind the cluster, that will f**k the light off lol. Otherwise, there's a rather expensive little thing you can buy that that you plug into the cabling where the HICAS used to be that tricks it into thinking it's working. The only downside to doing neither of these is that the light will always be on. Mine has been on for quite a while now, you don't notice it after a little bit

yeah the light doesn't really bother me either, but I have to take it for a rego inspection - thought the light on may be an issue

pull the bulb out from behind the cluster, that will f**k the light off lol. Otherwise, there's a rather expensive little thing you can buy that that you plug into the cabling where the HICAS used to be that tricks it into thinking it's working. The only downside to doing neither of these is that the light will always be on. Mine has been on for quite a while now, you don't notice it after a little bit

depends where you go.....dickson might not like the HICAS lock bar itself, which they will notice regardless of the light....anywhere else won't give 2 shits I reckon. Where are you located in Canberra?

Also on a side note, what colour is your GT-R?

That was my point, 1degree does what? It is near pointless tech and moving parts that prob shouldn't be on the car at all... also thus being so small why bother to lock it out..

But if locking it, and the lock bar is black and near invisible and the light is out, who'll ever know (that cares).

At least i know what to do if mine ever fks out.

located in Belco - any recommendations where to take it on the Northside?

The GTR is black

depends where you go.....dickson might not like the HICAS lock bar itself, which they will notice regardless of the light....anywhere else won't give 2 shits I reckon. Where are you located in Canberra?

Also on a side note, what colour is your GT-R?

post-79200-0-11746400-1298960315_thumb.jpg

post-79200-0-16464000-1298960360_thumb.jpg

ah ok, fair enough. That's quite sexy.

If you were southside, I'd recommend taking it to Lanyon Service Centre, he was easy going with me...though I'm sure someone like Pat will be able to recommend a northside place to go for inspection.

yeah she goes as good as she looks! totally embarrasses all my V8 mates lol

ah ok, fair enough. That's quite sexy.

If you were southside, I'd recommend taking it to Lanyon Service Centre, he was easy going with me...though I'm sure someone like Pat will be able to recommend a northside place to go for inspection.

Hey majestic,

Did you happen to be in trojan motorsport on friday? Not 100% sure if its the same car or not, didnt take much notice at the time.

I went to Trojan a couple of weeks back (wasn't so impressed with quotes I got - found someone else to do the work i wanted for a quarter of the price) - not last Friday though.. unless your saw my GTR across the road from Trojan parked at Elements Jiu Jitsu? I'm always there.

Hey majestic,

Did you happen to be in trojan motorsport on friday? Not 100% sure if its the same car or not, didnt take much notice at the time.