SAU Community

Impact Of The Japanese Disasters On Importing

PSI-FED

My hypothesis - apart from a few extra water-damaged cars coming through auction, auction prices and the exchange rate will all pretty much stay the same.

I bet some of those end up here :)

as for affecting things - yes. I cannot access my nissan spare parts guy at them moment with yokohama off line. subaru is a 2 week wait before shipping and the rest have finally come back on line. (good really as I have a S8 RX7 I need to sort fairly quickly!)

been a rough few weeks for a LOT of people :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know a few businesses who've been specifically asking for them! I just wrote a column telling people what to be on the lookout for...

Really? Whats the deal with that? I would imagine that the whole drivetrain would have been soaked in salt water. Also would expect they wouldnt meet the SEVS criteria due to having extensive damage!?

Edited by BigWillieStyles

It's not the drivetrain that's the problem it's the electrics, particularly if water has got into the computer. One soaking of salt water won't instantly make it rusty, and unless it has been crashed, the chassis will still be straight enough to pass through compliance.

In an ideal world, I'd like to think that anyone considering it will buy the car cheap, take it home, pull it all apart, clean everything out, rewire it THEN sell it. The reality is that there will be some who bring them in, give them a detail, put them on the lot, then rely on extended warranties to sort out any electrical gremlins the customers have after they buy them...

been done several times before. I have pulled cars down and found that they have been wet. not a nice thing when you spend a day doing one and it consistently fails on you and its not your fault.

kristian,

got it on one.

So do you guys think it will be quite a bit cheaper to import say and R34 GTR now?

I would assume it would be very very difficult to import anything from Japan at the moment as it wouldn't be strange if the Japanese government has seized control of almost every major form on transportation to assist in the rebuilding of their country/affected areas.

Has anyone seen a change in the prices of importing GTR's from Japan?

why would disaster make a difference to the yen.

kristian and I are both paying the same amount (80->83) as we were before the disaster hit.

the only thing it has affected in my case is supply of certain things. from talking to krtistain this morning his side of things is mainly un affected.

why would disaster make a difference to the yen.

kristian and I are both paying the same amount (80->83) as we were before the disaster hit.

the only thing it has affected in my case is supply of certain things. from talking to krtistain this morning his side of things is mainly un affected.

Because straight after the tsunami Japanese insurance companies began liquidating foreign investments and capital on a major scale to get yen back into the country for the rebuilding and payout process.

The Japanese stock market crashed quite significantly and this made the strength of the yen go up substantially with the Oz dollar trading in the high 77's at one stage.

If it wasnt for the G7 monitoring the yen and the Japanese government and Japan bank pouring 100's of billions of yen back into the system then the oz dollar and other currencies would not have rebounded back against the yen and the yen would be quite high right now.

Similar thing happened with the Kobe earthquake.

Most of the money I earn is yen so was quite happy to see it rise. There would have been some big money gains made on the market during the first week after the earthquake.

If the nuclear problem gets even more out of hand expect to see more fluctuations.

I saw on the Japanese news today that container ships arriving in China , Russia and South Korea were contaminated with radiation which could see countries placing a ban on shipping from Japan for awhile.

I saw on the Japanese news today that container ships arriving in China , Russia and South Korea were contaminated with radiation which could see countries placing a ban on shipping from Japan for awhile.

If you understand the politics of shipping, you'll understand why I find that scenario so funny...it's a neat way of getting cheaper shipping...

If you understand the politics of shipping, you'll understand why I find that scenario so funny...it's a neat way of getting cheaper shipping...

Yep I do..I just recently got bent over and shafted.

Gotta pay decontamination fee ?

Hence the shipping has to be cheaper to keep the overall price the same ?

If and I mean if it the nuclear situation really does get worse, ships wont be allowed into some countries.

Theres been a lot of talk on the news here in Korea tonight.

If ships are carrying contaminated goods theres bugger all chance Oz government will let them in especially when some of the radioactive particles have a 30 year life span.

Thats a worse case scenario but there's definitely a few rumblings about.

It's a complete load of crap, for starters - the radioactive iodine that was released into the air has a half life of 8 days, so all of it has turned into plain old dust particles by now.

Secondly, countries love using natural disasters to leverage better deals on products and services from other countries. What is happening now is that, in a panic reaction to governments feeding them BS about the possibility of radioactive containers (let's use South Korea as an example), demand for containers ex-Japan will plummet, and the select few who know that the whole radiation drama is a crock of shit will bring in as many containers as they can at rock bottom rates. I got a call from a shipping company today saying their shipping rates to Australia had dropped too! Only by a bit, granted, but enough to show that the shipping companies are nervous about the flow-on effects of a non-existent problem.

Have a look at what happened to the price of iron ore after the GFC and how much China continued to buy as another example.

Have a read of these and any of the earlier nuke-related articles for a more balanced view on what actually happened.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/29/tv_news_goes_hollywood/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/25/f*kushima_scaremongering_debunk/

Edited by Iron Chef

You really think you know whats going on sitting in safe old Adelaide.

Mate its a lot more serious than you think.

You can think the spin doctors are weaving their magic but I'm in touch daily with Japanese business partners, friends and academics (cousin is there from France working with the IAEA) who are involved with the problem and it aint all sunny in the rising sun.

A lot of misinformation being pumped out to the Japanese to keep things all calm but with plutonium being found over 40km's from the site, a bucket load of crap drifting around in the ocean and more and more higher levels being found, thinking that a few radioactive dust particles is all sweet is like walking around with your head up where the sun dont shine.

Kristian your choice to believe whatever is your choice..thinking its a load of crap ..well its its as crap as my car sitting in the garage with the mindf#$k to get it registered.

You really think you know whats going on sitting in safe old Adelaide.

Mate its a lot more serious than you think.

You can think the spin doctors are weaving their magic but I'm in touch daily with Japanese business partners, friends and academics (cousin is there from France working with the IAEA) who are involved with the problem and it aint all sunny in the rising sun.

A lot of misinformation being pumped out to the Japanese to keep things all calm but with plutonium being found over 40km's from the site, a bucket load of crap drifting around in the ocean and more and more higher levels being found, thinking that a few radioactive dust particles is all sweet is like walking around with your head up where the sun dont shine.

Kristian your choice to believe whatever is your choice..thinking its a load of crap ..well its its as crap as my car sitting in the garage with the mindf#$k to get it registered.

You're not in Japan any more either, correct?

I know a lot more than most, because I bother to get the information from the experts rather than trusting the panic merchants in the mainstream media who will always choose drama and hype over facts and reality. I've just booked a holiday for my whole family to go to Japan in July, got some great deals on flights.

Copy and paste, for your benefit:

"Traces of plutonium are not uncommon in soil because they were deposited worldwide during the atmospheric nuclear testing era," said a statement on the website of the International Atomic Energy Agency. "However, the isotopic composition of the plutonium found at f*kushima Daiichi suggests the material came from the reactor site, according to Tepco officials. Still, the quantity of plutonium found does not exceed background levels tracked by Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology over the past 30 years."

http://uvdiv.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-links-on-f*kushima-daiichi-1.html

some light reading for anyone who is panicing about the radiation and that we might all turn into some new bread of mutants. I would quite hapily go over to japan and even swim in the water, near the reactor. I wear a personal monitoring device at work all day everyday to measure the levels i work with over a three month period.(yes i do get slight radiation burns from day to day from the rocks i am dealing with. one new report said that people near the reator got serious burns (this only happens if radiation levels are over 400sv for a period of over ten minutes. the average person is allowed upto 20usv per year and i average 400sv for the whole year.

As Kristian said the isotopes that have been found have such a short half life that we have nothing to worry about.

http://uvdiv.blogspo...-daiichi-1.html

some light reading for anyone who is panicing about the radiation and that we might all turn into some new bread of mutants. I would quite hapily go over to japan and even swim in the water, near the reactor. I wear a personal monitoring device at work all day everyday to measure the levels i work with over a three month period.(yes i do get slight radiation burns from day to day from the rocks i am dealing with. one new report said that people near the reator got serious burns (this only happens if radiation levels are over 400sv for a period of over ten minutes. the average person is allowed upto 20usv per year and i average 400sv for the whole year.

As Kristian said the isotopes that have been found have such a short half life that we have nothing to worry about.

What do you do mate, Mining ?

good one richard i was waiting for that from someone.

Nee-san, yeah used to work in uranium mine now with the government as a middle man to make sure they are compliant with what they are doing, with all mines round S.A