SAU Community

Can I Combine Ide/sata In One System?

Spurdo

so my computers getting to be a bit of a dinosaur and both my hard drives are all full once again, both IDE drives.

now i've got a sata drive i want to put in it for additional storage, is this possible?

my mobo supports both IDE and SATA.

i want to leave my other hard drives alone, i dont want to change the boot drive or anything like that. i simply want to use the sata drive as storage. can it be done? my bios has a variety of settings regarding ide and sata stuff but i dont know exactly what i'm doing there. help?

chur

what brand HDD and what OS are you running?

if your running XP and you have/are going to buy a Weatern Digital HDD . you'll need to download their partition alignment tool before you put any data onto the new HDD.

Edited by liger

na its win 7. the drive starts up but then doesn't register and turns off again within about 10-15 seconds looks like its a crook drive. cheers for the help

depending on the mobo, chipset etc - it wont be possible.

I've seen weird shit happen on older gen mobo's with IDE and SATA connected @ the same time.

Given price of a 1TB SATA drive (under $100), its easier just to buy one than deal with the issues sometimes.

na its win 7. the drive starts up but then doesn't register and turns off again within about 10-15 seconds looks like its a crook drive. cheers for the help

taken from PCCG

**Please note: Windows XP users will need to download this free utility before using this drive due to the use of Advanced Format technology. Not required for Vista and Windows 7 users.

depending on the mobo, chipset etc - it wont be possible.

I've seen weird shit happen on older gen mobo's with IDE and SATA connected @ the same time.

Given price of a 1TB SATA drive (under $100), its easier just to buy one than deal with the issues sometimes.

+1

I had an old ECS 865 mobo (socket 478 for Pentium 4 with 2 IDE connectors & 2 SATAs) which would not boot up properly to my OS from my PATA drive (OS drive) when I had the 2 SATA HDDs connected. Did a reformat & installed my OS to one of the SATA, while still keeping the PATA HDD & it was all back to normal again... strange